[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

jmd471

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So, if you were in the situation where you wanted to upgrade 2 smartphones and 1 dumbphone:
#1 smartphone
#2 smartphone
#3 dumbphone
You could upgrade, #3 to smartphone, swap new smartphone to #1acct, transfer #1 upgrade to #3, repeat process, transfer #2 upgrade to #3, upgrade to a new dumbphone? Assuming it makes much more sense to do in a Verizon store, seems it would take forever doing online, if thats even possible...thanks in advance

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

So, if you were in the situation where you wanted to upgrade 2 smartphones and 1 dumbphone:
#1 smartphone
#2 smartphone
#3 dumbphone
You could upgrade, #3 to smartphone, swap new smartphone to #1acct, transfer #1 upgrade to #3, repeat process, transfer #2 upgrade to #3, upgrade to a new dumbphone? Assuming it makes much more sense to do in a Verizon store, seems it would take forever doing online, if thats even possible...thanks in advance
You'd think that would be the simplest, expeditious way to do it in the store. But if you read through this thread you'd see that it is hit or miss on whether you'd get a CSR that knows how or is willing to do it. Many are misinformed and will tell you that it won't work and you'll lose your unlimited. Some go to the supervisor and the supervisor will say this too. I'd like to think they aren't intentionally misinforming customers, that it is from lack of knowledge. But don't fall for the "I do this for a living, I know, you will lose your unlimited" line. I mean it's one thing to not know and to ask someone else, it's another to be misinformed and be forceful that your right when you aren't. But you can give it a try and let us know how it goes. But I think if it were that simple this thread wouldn't be up to 1142 posts.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Just completed the process 100% online.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I just received the Droid Maxx for my wife. Will update after I get it charged up and do the activations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

Done (100% online). Took about 30 mins from start to finish and the new Droid Maxx is activated. It's a damned nice phone. The only issue I had was having to have a CSR reset the sim card. I did it through chat and it's all set now. Still shows unlimited on the data plan. Here's my situation and my step by step:

Line 1 - Droid Razr Maxx Unlimited
Line 2 - Droid Razr Unlimited
Line 3 - Feature phone (upgrade available)
Line 4 - Feature phone (upgrade available)

1) Charged phone fully.

2) Activated new phone online on line 3. Verified it worked by making a phone call and seeing it updated in my account overview (Line 3 showed the new phone). *I skipped the setup wizard

3) Went into Line 3 and switched device. I clicked previous device and selected the feature phone. Had to select a new data plan and selected the pay as you go data plan (no monthly cost). Verified it removed the monthly $30 data plan.

4) Activated the feature phone back on Line 3. Tested with a phone call and verified it showed up in my Verizon account.

5) Went into Line 2 and clicked switch device. Selected prior device and selected the new Droid Maxx. Activated it. It said I needed a new sim card. I used the chat feature to talk to a VZW customer service rep. She said I'd need a new sim card. I asked her if we could just wipe the card so I could activate it. She said she thought she could do that. Asked me for info on my account, SIM card number, etc etc. She wiped it all and activated the Droid Maxx onto line 2. I asked her if this would change my plan. She said no. Made test call, surfed a couple of websites, phone was activated. Checked online account: showed the Droid Maxx and an unlimited plan. Done.

I'm really glad I stumbled onto this. We were getting ready to pay full price for two new phones to keep our unlimited data. Now she has her Maxx and I need t decide between the Maxx (which I really like and am used to) or stepping out of my comfort zone and trying the Note 3 (if it comes to VZ in a decent time frame that is).

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Done (100% online). Took about 30 mins from start to finish and the new Droid Maxx is activated. It's a damned nice phone. The only issue I had was having to have a CSR reset the sim card. I did it through chat and it's all set now. Still shows unlimited on the data plan. Here's my situation and my step by step:

1) Charged phone fully.

2) Activated new phone online on line 3. Verified it worked by making a phone call and seeing it updated in my account overview (Line 3 showed the new phone). *I skipped the setup wizard

3) Went into Line 3 and switched device. I clicked previous device and selected the feature phone. Had to select a new data plan and selected the pay as you go data plan (no monthly cost). Verified it removed the monthly $30 data plan.

4) Activated the feature phone back on Line 3. Tested with a phone call and verified it showed up in my Verizon account.

5) Went into Line 2 and clicked switch device. Selected prior device and selected the new Droid Maxx. Activated it. It said I needed a new sim card. I used the chat feature to talk to a VZW customer service rep. She said I'd need a new sim card. I asked her if we could just wipe the card so I could activate it. She said she thought she could do that. Asked me for info on my account, SIM card number, etc etc. She wiped it all and activated the Droid Maxx onto line 2. I asked her if this would change my plan. She said no. Made test call, surfed a couple of websites, phone was activated. Checked online account: showed the Droid Maxx and an unlimited plan. Done.

I'm really glad I stumbled onto this. We were getting ready to pay full price for two new phones to keep our unlimited data. Now she has her Maxx and I need t decide between the Maxx (which I really like and am used to) or stepping out of my comfort zone and trying the Note 3 (if it comes to VZ in a decent time frame that is).

Great to hear another success story. Yes, it seems like SIM cards sometimes get attached to the line it's first activated on. I'm not sure if the SIMS are compatible physically but if so you might have been able to take the SIM out from the Line 2 Razr and put it into the new Droid MAXX.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I thought about that but I didn't wanna pull the volume button out. So I just had them do it.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I thought about that but I didn't wanna pull the volume button out. So I just had them do it.

Works too. Good thought on using chat, that computer voice prompt maze is frustrating. Congratulations to your wife an a great new phone. :)

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

1) Charged phone fully.

How did you do step involving purchasing the droid maxx in the first place without paying full price?

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

How did you do step involving purchasing the droid maxx in the first place without paying full price?

I bought it using the upgrade available on line 3. I had to add the $30 data plan for about 30 mins while I did the activations and switched everything around. It automatically removes the $30 data plan when you reactivate the feature phone.

jcash3

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I completed the activation of my Droid Maxx last night, and was able to keep my unlimited data using the process the OP outlined. Here's some notes that I had:
1. Since I live in Anchorage, AK (extended network) I had to enable roaming for data and cell once I turned on the phone to get it activate using the preinstalled SIM card. After that, I was able to activate it on my wife's iphone 5 line.
2. I used the Verizon website to deactivate my Maxx and reactivate the iphone. It took a little work because I had to figure out the SIM card ID's for both. A restart of the iphone reactivated it to my wife's number.
3. Activating the Maxx on my line was a somewhat of a frustrating process. It took a few tries on the Verizon website for it to not give me an error (basically said, "Activation cannot be completed online, call ####"). I'm assuming that the website just took a bit to recognize that the phone had been deactivated. Once the process was complete, I turned on the Maxx and it connected to the 4G LTE network right away. I tried making a call on the phone, but got the place a collect call error. So I dialed *228 and saw that the SIM card was still assigned to my wife's number. Verizon's website showed that the Maxx was on my line so that confused me. After messing with the phone and the website for about 20 minutes, I did a restart and it switched to the correct line.

I guess what I learned is that it takes a bit for everything to update in Verizon's system.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

I completed the activation of my Droid Maxx last night, and was able to keep my unlimited data using the process the OP outlined. Here's some notes that I had:
1. Since I live in Anchorage, AK (extended network) I had to enable roaming for data and cell once I turned on the phone to get it activate using the preinstalled SIM card. After that, I was able to activate it on my wife's iphone 5 line.
2. I used the Verizon website to deactivate my Maxx and reactivate the iphone. It took a little work because I had to figure out the SIM card ID's for both. A restart of the iphone reactivated it to my wife's number.
3. Activating the Maxx on my line was a somewhat of a frustrating process. It took a few tries on the Verizon website for it to not give me an error (basically said, "Activation cannot be completed online, call ####"). I'm assuming that the website just took a bit to recognize that the phone had been deactivated. Once the process was complete, I turned on the Maxx and it connected to the 4G LTE network right away. I tried making a call on the phone, but got the place a collect call error. So I dialed *228 and saw that the SIM card was still assigned to my wife's number. Verizon's website showed that the Maxx was on my line so that confused me. After messing with the phone and the website for about 20 minutes, I did a restart and it switched to the correct line.

I guess what I learned is that it takes a bit for everything to update in Verizon's system.

how long did you wait before deactivating the maxx on wife account?

jcash3

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

how long did you wait before deactivating the maxx on wife account?
I did it pretty much right after I confirmed that her number was working on the phone. Probably about 5 minutes after activating it. I just verified that I still have unlimited data on the line.

kimpat

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

So, I started this process today by transferring my upgrade (line 1 with unlimited data) to a basic phone (line 2) on my account. At the same time I ordered a S4 with 2g data, all the way through the order process it showed the order as being attached to line 2. I just received my order confirmation and it shows the order attached to line 1, and if I look at my account online it says I have a new device to to activated on line 1.

Did I mess something up already on step one of the process (LOL!) or will it all shake out as the order is processed and shipped?

TIA!

tree9

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for all the info here, I currently have this:

1. 3G phone w/ unlimited data, upgrade available
2. 3G phone w/ unlimited data, upgrade available

To keep both unlimited + new subsidised phones, is my only option to buy a 3rd line eventually downgrading it to a dumb phone at $10 per month for 2 years?
Or is there a way to go month to month on a new dumb phone, funneling the upgrades through it, and cancel the new 3rd line all together?

thanks

kimpat

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

So, I started this process today by transferring my upgrade (line 1 with unlimited data) to a basic phone (line 2) on my account. At the same time I ordered a S4 with 2g data, all the way through the order process it showed the order as being attached to line 2. I just received my order confirmation and it shows the order attached to line 1, and if I look at my account online it says I have a new device to to activated on line 1.

Did I mess something up already on step one of the process (LOL!) or will it all shake out as the order is processed and shipped?

TIA!

So, I just talked to verizon and they said that this is what happens in an alternate upgrade. She said I could transfer the phone to line 2 after activating on line 1 but I would lose my unlimited data.

What can I do now?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Did your wife's line have an upgrade available or did you transfer the upgrade to that line and then do the upgrade?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

So, I just talked to verizon and they said that this is what happens in an alternate upgrade. She said I could transfer the phone to line 2 after activating on line 1 but I would lose my unlimited data.

What can I do now?

She is wrong, other people have been told this and it is wrong. I think that they just do know and they are not trying to confuse you.

Activate it on line one when you get it. After that you can do the phone transfers. The unlimited line will be under a new 2 year contract because that is where the upgrade came from but you will not lose your unlimited data.

Tapatalk mofo

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

She is wrong, other people have been told this and it is wrong. I think that they just do know and they are not trying to confuse you.

Activate it on line one when you get it. After that you can do the phone transfers. The unlimited line will be under a new 2 year contract because that is where the upgrade came from but you will not lose your unlimited data.

Tapatalk mofo

Shouldn't activate it on line 1, that is the line with the unlimited data. Should activate it on line 2 and then put old phone back on line 2 then put new phone on line 1. But I'm not sure about that device waiting to be activated on line 1 though. Seems like it should be ready to activate on line 2. Kimpat you transferred the upgrade from line 1 to line 2 right and then did the upgrade on line 2, selected your phone, and a plan right? What do you mean "At the same time I ordered a S4 with 2g data". At the same time sounds like a separate parallel order. It should have been a stepwise procedure.