[Instruction] How to renew your UDP line to avoid the $20 out of contract increase

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: unlimited data contract ends in 2 months, how do I get around the $20 increase?

oh boy, I think I'm screwed....

just logged into my account and realized that my contract end day will be the same day as the last day of my billing cycle in September. anyway to ask Verizon to change my billing cycle now? :(

on top of that, the other 2 lines on my account(both basic phones) are no longer on contract as of last month. I guess I should have been checking my account more closely. Since those two lines are eligible for 2-year contract upgrades, the UDP line's upgrade can't be transferred to them now, right? :(
You can call Verizon and ask them to change the billing cycle.

With regards to the other lines... They need to be on contract for you to transfer the upgrade from the UDP line onto them.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Now with the 100gb deal and all 3 of my UDPs out of contract would it behoove me to transfer an upgrade to the one TDP line that is in contract until Dec.? Or is it not worth it because I have 3 and it only protects one?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Now with the 100gb deal and all 3 of my UDPs out of contract would it behoove me to transfer an upgrade to the one TDP line that is in contract until Dec.? Or is it not worth it because I have 3 and it only protects one?
No one here knows specifically what Verizon will do.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I figured if I can get around the $20 increase for another 2 years, that's great.

If not, just imagine how much 99gb/month at 4G speeds of usage per month can cost if I don't still have unlimited data, even at an extra $20 per month. (or worse, how much 99gb/ month will cost at AT&T, T-Mobile, or Project Fi)

$20 is less than what I spend at Startbuck each week, so I'll just go without coffee one week each month from now on. :) No biggie.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: unlimited data contract ends in 2 months, how do I get around the $20 increase?

You can call Verizon and ask them to change the billing cycle.

With regards to the other lines... They need to be on contract for you to transfer the upgrade from the UDP line onto them.

I got my other basic line back on another 2-year contract by getting a basic flip-phone for 1 penny. It's now on a 2-year contract with ETF of $175(basic phone).

Once my UDP line goes out of contract, all I have to do to extend it is to transfer the upgrade to the basic line(with the new 2-year contract) and buy another basic phone, right? (as long as I do it quickly so they all complete within the same billing cycle?)

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I got my other basic line back on another 2-year contract by getting a basic flip-phone for 1 penny. It's now on a 2-year contract with ETF of $175(basic phone).

Once my UDP line goes out of contract, all I have to do to extend it is to transfer the upgrade to the basic line(with the new 2-year contract) and buy another basic phone, right? (as long as I do it quickly so they all complete within the same billing cycle?)

Thanks!
Yes

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Thank you again for your help. I know I've asked similar questions
multiple times. It's just that Verizon is driving me crazy with all these .
silly new tactics to keep people off UDP. :(

By the way, the flip phone that I got was the Verizon Samsung Convoy 4
for 1 penny. Wow... I can't believe how loud and clear the earpiece is...
the other person's voice always sound like I'm using a home landline
cordless phone. way better than any of my current smartphones(S7 edge,
Note 5, Note 4, LG G4, Moto G4, Nexus 6P) :(

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have 2 phones under contract with Verizon and so I am still paying the $29.99 unlimited fee for each one of them. The first phone comes out of contract in October and the seond one in December. Obviously, I don't want to lose this great rate but am a little confused as to how to retain this rate.

Do I just call them and ask them if there is a promo that will renew my contract like the 100 texts? Does this promo still exist? I don't want to get the newest iPhone as I think I will wait for the next one.

If I want to buy new phones do I just do the Best Buy technique for each phone? i.e. Order a phone online from bestbuy.com, then remove the sim card and replace it with my current phones SIM card? Does that technique still work?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me. THanks

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have 2 phones under contract with Verizon and so I am still paying the $29.99 unlimited fee for each one of them. The first phone comes out of contract in October and the seond one in December. Obviously, I don't want to lose this great rate but am a little confused as to how to retain this rate.

Do I just call them and ask them if there is a promo that will renew my contract like the 100 texts? Does this promo still exist? I don't want to get the newest iPhone as I think I will wait for the next one.

If I want to buy new phones do I just do the Best Buy technique for each phone? i.e. Order a phone online from bestbuy.com, then remove the sim card and replace it with my current phones SIM card? Does that technique still work?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me. THanks
You can't put the phones back on the lines. You can do the best buy and sell. Then pay full price for the phones. Do it before your billing date.

If your willing to change the number you can keep the phones.

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Can you please clarify this a little more as I am confused and I tried the read the most recent posts in the Best Buy thread and am even more confused. Here is my situation:

Line1: UDP with Nov 16 contract end date
Line 2: UDP with Dec 16 contract end date

You can't put the phones back on the lines. You can do the best buy and sell. Then pay full price for the phones. Do it before your billing date.

If your willing to change the number you can keep the phones.

I really don't understand this. Are there step by step instructions somewhere. What are the next steps if I want to keep the $29.99 UDP rate?

Are there any loyalty offers available that will extend my contract?

Thanks

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Can you please clarify this a little more as I am confused and I tried the read the most recent posts in the Best Buy thread and am even more confused. Here is my situation:

Line1: UDP with Nov 16 contract end date
Line 2: UDP with Dec 16 contract end date

I really don't understand this. Are there step by step instructions somewhere. What are the next steps if I want to keep the $29.99 UDP rate?

Are there any loyalty offers available that will extend my contract?

Thanks
You need to get back under contract before your billing date. If your contract ends on the 15th and your billing date is the 20th you need to get back under contract by the 20th they keep unlimited data at 29.99. The easiest way to do this is the best buy and sell method.

Some people have had luck adding a 100 text loyalty to extend the contract. I don't know the code for the plan though.

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
You need to get back under contract before your billing date. If your contract ends on the 15th and your billing date is the 20th you need to get back under contract by the 20th they keep unlimited data at 29.99. The easiest way to do this is the best buy and sell method.

Some people have had luck adding a 100 text loyalty to extend the contract. I don't know the code for the plan though.

Thanks once again.

So for the Best Buy way, I order a phone from Best Buy. Will this be at full retail price? Do I order it as a Verizon customer by giving my Verizon info? It will have a different number, right? Then once I receive it, remove the SIM card and don't switch it on, right? Then I sell it? But will this now be a new line on my account? This is what I am not understanding. I do not need more tahn 2 lines. Do I then have to pay for the additional line fee along with data? Right now on the Best Buy site I see the 6s for $1 but it requires a 2 year contract.

I would appreciate it if you could clarify this for me. Thanks.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You can also ask Verizon to change your billing cycle to end on the day before the contract expires so that you will have almost a month to do it

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks once again.

So for the Best Buy way, I order a phone from Best Buy. Will this be at full retail price? Do I order it as a Verizon customer by giving my Verizon info? It will have a different number, right? Then once I receive it, remove the SIM card and don't switch it on, right? Then I sell it? But will this now be a new line on my account? This is what I am not understanding. I do not need more tahn 2 lines. Do I then have to pay for the additional line fee along with data? Right now on the Best Buy site I see the 6s for $1 but it requires a 2 year contract.

Can somebody please clarify this for me. Thanks.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The billing cycle.

Excuse me dpham00 id appreciate a little help not sure if I need to change my billing cycle a day before my contract end date or after it. Example one of my lines ends 11/03/16 should I change my billing cycle to the 1st of the month or the 5th? Last time around I was able to extend my contract with 100 extra min. And 100 extra text this time around the phone reps dont budge on that promo.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Excuse me dpham00 id appreciate a little help not sure if I need to change my billing cycle a day before my contract end date or after it. Example one of my lines ends 11/03/16 should I change my billing cycle to the 1st of the month or the 5th? Last time around I was able to extend my contract with 100 extra min. And 100 extra text this time around the phone reps dont budge on that promo.

That promo might work...

As to the cycle end date, do the 1st. So you have until the end of the month to complete the upgrade

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks once again.

Any help on this please? Hoping o et an answer so I can decide on how to proceed.