Introduce Yourselves (oh and there's a contest in here as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Introduce Yourselves (oh and there's a contest in here as wel

Former OS/Device(s)

I started on Vertizon with a Keyocera KX2 (koy) slider
LG Env2
LG Env touch
LG Voyager
BB Storm 1
Orig Droid
Droid X
Droid X2
HTC Incredible 2
Droid X2

I have lurked at crackberry but didn't post much there, I was also a member at Howard forums for awhile.

As for forum participation I really didn't catch the posting/active membership bug until I started hanging out here.

A little about me:

I strongly believe in helping out those less fortunate than myself, since my original Virgin mobile pay as you go phone I have always donated my old devices to a local battered womens shelter. Growing up in an abusive environment was not easy to overcome so I think it is important to do what ever I can to assist people trying to escape that situation. I also save pop can tabs and donate them to childrens hospital annually this allows the hospital to discount the price of dialysis treatment for children in need. I have started this program at my last several places of employment and to the best of my knowledge they are still going strong today.

Working at home for a communications company allows me to constantly be near a pc with internet access. I check several of the forums daily for new information on upcoming devices like the Razr,GN as well as for my currant X2, and Xoom. I have a bookmark in my browser for each forum that I visit.

I try to help out where I can on the forum, and I am usually able to find a solution for any problems I am having with my device.

As for my attached picture I have to admit I did download it from google for use here.

---------------------------------------------------
I think Panda should get a case just as a thank you for all the solid information he has given members here not only on this device but on others as well.
---------------------------------------------------

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

I am currently running Android on my Samsung Fascinate! I know Cory you have a special place in your heart for this phone. I love it simply because of the custom roms that are out there and to me, it seems like the perfect Dev phone because of the Bing issue. Anyway, before that I had a Blackberry Curve, which was a decent phone. Because of having a Blackberry, I was on Crackberry everyday. But then I kept seeing the Android Central link and I would check it out once in a while and once more Android phones came out, it was the place to find my information.

My forum participation to start was being an addict pre and post release, especially for my Fascinate. And I have been that way for the Galaxy Nexus. But many of the devs who worked on the Fascinate have left so I have had to go more for my forum work over in XDA, but loyally continue to check out what news AC has. You guys are the best!

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

Hello, I'm new to this forum and to smart phones in general. My current phone is an LG Env Touch (hate it) and my previous phone was a Palm Treo (hate it). The GN will be my first smartphone so I am very excited to get it.

I am currently a 4th year Pharmacy Student doing my rotations in Florida and I graduate in May. I use many apps in the medical profession like .... Lexicomp, clinical pharmacology etc and I currently use these on my itouch. I'm sick of having a phone and a separate unit for my clinical application programs so again I can't wait till the GN comes out so I will have just one device.

I love forums, when I have time. I plan to be a part of this forum before and after the release of the GN .... mostly because you guys are so knowledgable on Android software and I have learned a lot so far just by reading posts on here. Matter of fact, I was pretty much sold on an iphone up until I started reading this forum and talking more with people who have Android phones. Now, I'm all about the Nexus Prime....I mean the Galaxy Nexus!!

Monkey Pi

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm also the kind of guy who makes cardboard mockups of unreleased phones in order to judge their size. I made models of the Droid X and the Fascinate last year, and now I have a cardboard Galaxy Nexus.

Click to view quoted image
]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

Awesome!
How many of us have done this? I already had before I read your post. I used the size comparison site (HTC Amaze 4G Visual Size Comparison) to generate a screenshot of the two phones I'm looking at and my current phone. Then I blew it up until my phone matched the picture of my phone and cut out the other two. Here's how the Nexus fits up in my hand

NexusHand.jpg

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Soon to be former OS/Device: BlackBerry Storm 2

Previous Forums: Crackberry, still a member there but have been here a lot more then I was ever there and don't even have a Android phone yet. BlackBerry is very boring!

How would you describe yourself - in terms of forum participation?
I'm manically looking for the latest and greatest news and rumors, and plan on getting the Galaxy Nexus, but not leaving. I have a lot to learn about android OS and with a android phone in my hand right now it's kind of hard to learn anything or apply any tips I am now seeing in the forum. Plus the forum seems very active so plan on being on daily to see what I can learn and one day share.

fbomb721

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

My first phone was an LG Flip phone that I was stoked about, until I went through 3 of them in 10 months, I was rough on that one! Then I had the Storm1 and Storm 2, until I realized Android was way better, so I got the Fascinate that I own now.

AC is the first forum I have been dedicated to in terms of following, I just recently got into posting more, but only when I feel I can actually contribute to a problem. So I guess I'm mostly a lurker, but check 2-3 times a day and post about once a week or so? I'll be following all the latest and greatest news post release as well, I just find anything about any phone to be interesting!

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Current Device:
Motorola Droid Bionic. You've already seen it.
Motorola Xoom.
Sony Google TV
Motorola Droid 3 (wife)
Previous Devices:
Motorola Droid 3
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid X
HTC Incredible
HTC Droid Eris

I found you guys after my migration from crackberry.com in conjunction with my migration from the entire Blackberry ecosystem.

35 years old next week. I am an independent financial advisor. What is that? I used to work for JP Morgan Chase, but I realized that my clients and me would be better off if we cut the big banks out of the deal. I buy and sell stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETFs and insurance products for my clients. I pick and choose with whom I wish to work.

I am a huge Android fan. I admit I can get a little testy with other posters on the forums. No big deal. I, like many of you, am extremely passionate about the Android ecosystem and technology in general. I constantly try to get Apple people to take the plunge, but I live in Louisiana which means there's not a whole lotta big city info down here. Every time someone complains about a feature their IPhone doesn't do, I usually chime in saying, "My phone does that," to which I get replies like, "Oh, you got one of those robot phones."

I am currently in the member spotlight section for my posts showing the Droid Bionic. Here's how that whole thing went down:
I received the phone for free as I was told by a Motorola representative working in the consumer advocacy office that I would get this because of a complaint letter I sent them. After I received the phone, I went to a VZ store and got a SIM card, then called customer service and had it activated. I did these reviews because I am an enthusiast as are you and your colleagues and readers. I did not do this for my ego, or for money, or for schwag. I did it because I realized I had the power to make a lot of people happy. It was fun and was my pleasure. I knew what people wanted to see, and I wanted the community to see how incredible the device and the 4G service is. I pulled everything on my own volition. I was not told by anyone to do that, but I was asked to stop posting. How did that happen? Here goes. I was called yesterday by one of the heads of corporate security from Verizon wireless. He literally threatened to "brick" my phone and have the police sent to my house. I explained to him the situation and he demanded that I give him the name of the Motorola employee who authorized sending the device to me. I did not want to give him that information and he told me that if I didn't he would brick my phone. I told him that I would release that info only to Motorola. He even had the gall to ask me why I was protecting the employee at Motorola since I had stated I did not know him/her personally. I told him that it wasn't my place to disclose the name of the employee working at a different company. I told him that it wasn't my place to do his job for him. I also explained to him that it was Verizon who gave me the SIM card and who activated the phone. Motorola sent me an unuseable device. I was the one who initiated the activation. He suggested that we conference in the head of trade secrets from Motorola and we had a three way call. I agreed to give the guy at Motorola the info they both wanted and I did so via e-mail. The attachments I am sending you now is exactly what I sent to the guy at Motorola. The guy at Verizon told me that my posts did reach Lowell McAdam, CEO of Verizon. I repeatedly told both gentlemen that I would be outraged if the person at Motorola who sent me the device would be disciplined. I do not want anyone to lose his/her job especially in this economy. I told them that both of their organizations should be thanking me and/or compensating me as I felt that I probably sold more of these phones than their less than stellar marketing efforts. My contact at Motorola did the right thing by providing excellent customer service and exceeding my expectations. I informed both men that Verizon was to blame for this as they are the ones who gave me the SIM card and activated the phone. They have not bricked my phone, but I wanted to show good faith by removing the videos. I accomplished what I wanted to. They also wanted to make sure that I was not a member of the media or was any way affiliated with Android Central. I informed them that was negative on both counts.

I love my Bionic, but I have never owned a Nexus phone, and would love nothing more to win one!

Last edited:

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

Former OS/Device:

• Blackberry
  • WebOS
  • Windows Mobile or Windows Phone
  • iPhone
  • Other
  • Which phone/devices?
PalmOS - Visor, TungstenT, Centro
AndroidOS- OG Droid
webOS - Firesale Touchpad

Previous Forums:

• Crackberry
  • P|C
  • W|P
  • TiPb
  • Other
Joined VisorCentral in October 1999, Using same username on Pre/Central when my touchpad showed up.

• I'm manically looking for the latest and greatest news and rumors, but after the Galaxy Nexus is released, I'm out of here.
  • I'm a forum addict pre & post release.
  • I lurk in the background.
  • I only visit forums when I'm trying to find an answer to a problem.
I'm a lurker with occasional post.

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Former OS/Device:
Blackberry Storm 2
Motorola XOOM (WiFi)

Previous Forums:
Crackberry
XoomForums.com
Androidcentral

• I'm a forum addict pre & post release.
  • I lurk in the background.

My Storm 2 has been eligable for upgrade since mid-July (and I've been ready to get rid of the darn thing for more like a year). I was initially looking at the (original) Bionic, but having got used to vanilla Honeycomb after several months with the XOOM and having been unimpressed by the Bionic's final specs, I started to follow leaks on the Galaxy Nexus.

Helping my wife through her upgrade from a BB Torch to Droid Charge convinced me that I really wanted a Samsung screen (I was initially pushing her towards the Thunderbolt but have to admit the Charge just blew everything else away screen-wise at least).

So, here I am, almost 4 months past upgrade time, still "patiently" waiting. I really want a WiFi hotspot capable phone to tether the XOOM when I need it and I really want to just be rid of the horrible (low performance and poor reliability) OS on the Storm 2. Thank godness my wife's former Torch used the same battery as the Storm 2 as its battery finally bit the dust a few weeks ago and I really REALLY don't want to spend another penny on the thing. Oh, and the Torch has helpfully donated its 16GB micro-SD card to the XOOM.

I used to hang out a fair bit at crackberry, but started to lose interest when it became obvious the the Storm 2 was a dead-end over a year ago (and Verizon / RIM decided to leave it with a broken OS build). I looked at the OG Droid when I bought the Storm 2, but wasn't quite convinced at the time so decided to go with the more mature (and, to be fair, similarly performing at the time) BB, but 6 months with the XOOM has shown that Android is superior in literally every respect (how I loathe the 6 minute reboot on the BB every time I update an app...). When I got the XOOM back in April it very quickly became obvious that my next phone was going to be an Android of some description but I'd just have to stick it out until July. Here were are, practically in November, my patience with the Storm 2 has long since run out, we've unofficially had LTE locally for a couple of months and officially for about 2 weeks and the Storm 2 is looking older every day, it doesn't even like to make / receive phone calls any more...

Having waited this long, another few weeks won't hurt, but I do wish Verizon would just get on and release the thing!

Well, there you go, I have my doubts much if any of that lot is interesting to anybody, but thats my story.

Reborn58

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Im coming from the Droid Incredible. I had a first gen BB Storm and hated it...love my DInc but I'm so ready for this Nexus to be released.

I'm am a forum addict, but especially bad after the announcement of the Nexus.

phlame

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

I have the original droid and the wifi died today....and I still have a month to go for the upgrade....sob !:'(
So I just have to bite my nails and wait for the ...Samsung Galaxy Nexus..then I have to wait for my upgrade date.
Meanwhile, I will be haunting the forums.

Prior to my Droid, I had a Blackberry. I love to check the forums to solve problems and see if there is anything new coming.....hence the Samsung Galaxy Nexus...that and the guy at Costco couldn't stop talking about it.

I'm sorry I didn't find these forums when I first got my Droid 1.10/12 months ago.

I'm manically looking for the latest and greatest news and rumors, but after the Galaxy Nexus is released I'll still be here and also
I lurk in the background and
I visit forums when I'm trying to find an answer to a problem.

Last edited:

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

Former Device: Razr 2

Current Device: HTC Droid Incredible

Previous Forums: None

I lurk in the background.

nickmo

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

This ended up getting really long...

I am 25 and work as a data analyst at an insurance software company. I love technology and seeing live music. I have been a T-Mobile customer for nearly 8 years. My contract is up with T-Mobile on Nov 17. My first smartphone was BlackBerry Pearl 8100. I loved it. When I had opportunity for an upgrade I opted for the BlackBerry Bold 9700. Started with OS 5.0 upgraded to OS 6.0 when available. I was always a big proponent of BlackBerry. But I admittedly had my eyes closed for a while. I wasn't educated about Android OS. Not a fan of Apple so I never even considered an iPhone. I had full intentions of moving on to the latest and greatest Blackberry when the time comes.

Over the last year several close friends had picked up Android devices. I liked them, but didn't know much about Android and truthfully wasn't interested. Over time I started noticing that their devices were a lot faster than mine. I thought it might just be their network at first. I really only went with T-Mobile initially because the rates were a bit cheaper. I have been travelling much more lately and would be bothered by the spotty coverage areas. I would find myself asking to use friends phones when I didn't have service. And I noticed everything was faster. Some of it was the network, but there were a lot of things that they did better. Even apps that I have on my Bold, they would have the same app and it would be better and more robust. I found myself liking the whole experience. Already being a big fan of all things Google I was getting interested and started to pay attention.

I had always followed CrackBerry and after becoming interested in Android I made the obvious jump to Android Central. Just started slowly checking the posts, keeping an eye on new phones being released, OS updates, news, etc. I still wasn't totally convinced I was going to Android though. I loved BlackBerry. I love the keypad on the Bold. I wasn't sure I wanted to give up the keypad for a touch screen device. I wasn't a fan of any of the slider phones that run Android. I was also holding out hope for comparable next generation BlackBerry devices and the next BlackBerry OS. Being a CrackBerry follower, I had been fearful of what would come of it. Pretty much no new phones all year. All of the focus was seemingly on the Playbook. Then OS 7 is announced and we see their first round of devices. If I were to buy a new BlackBerry it would be the Bold 9900. Which is pretty much the same device I have now and OS 7 is not very different from OS6. BBX is in the pipeline, and new phones will come along with that. But from what I have seen on the PlayBook OS, it still isn't very exciting to me. So I knew that these would be my BlackBerry options when my contract expires. It is hard to justify buying pretty much the same device with pretty much the same user experience when in the past buying a new phone meant a new experience, not to mention I had Android on the brain.

At that point I started looking at Android a lot more seriously. I was keeping an eye on several phones throughout the second half of this year. Paying closer attention to the OS, the whole ecosystem, watching the podcasts here, etc. I was hooked. I started playing with all of my friend's phones, co-worker's phones, etc. I found that I really liked the build of the HTC phones. Thunderbolt and EVO 4G are great "feeling" phones. Had my contract been up when those were new to the market I would seriously considered those. I wasn't too thrilled about Samsung Galaxy S2. I was watching for the Motorola Droid Bionic. But what I was really hoping for was the HTC Rezound(Vigor). The latest and greatest HTC phone. And at this point, I knew I wanted to go with Verizon. I need some 4G LTE. Then I start hearing about the new Nexus and what the line is about. Being a bit of a nerd I was definitely interested in the "pure Android" experience. Then there was ICS. The latest iteration of Android that would bring the phone and tablet OS together. That was exciting as well.

It all culminated in one fateful evening, Oct 18, when the power was out in my home. I had nothing to do. I was on my laptop on battery power with no internet, thankfully I could tether my Bold and use my service to browse on the web. I was chatting with a friend on GChat that was watching the Nexus event. I had been aware of it since I was excited to hear ICS was coming out, I knew I would want my next device to have it and was certainly interested in the Nexus. I was keeping track of the live blog, but decided to give the stream a shot(wasn't sure how well it would go BlackBerry, 3G, T-Mobile). It got choppy if I would get a text or email but it worked great. ICS = Sold. After watching that I had to have the Nexus and ICS.

After the initial hype I looked a lot more closely at the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus line, and ICS. I love the idea of the Nexus line. I love ICS. But having been following the latest phone specs, I was a bit underwhelmed when I started seeing what would be in the Nexus. I bought in to it all. No Gorilla Glass! 1.2ghz processor only! No HDMI out! Well, these forums(and the podcast last week) have put all of that to rest. As of now I have been primarily a lurker, but will likely come out of hiding once I really dig in to Android. Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be my next phone and I will make the jump to Verizon. I just hope it is out by or around Nov 17 when my contract ends. The leaked pics indicated Galaxy Nexus and HTC Rezound MSRP starting Nov 10. Other parts of the world will get Galaxy Nexus on Nov 17. So let's hope for something around there so I can get my new phone immediately when my contract ends and I don't have to pay for another month on T-Mobile!

I still feel bad about leaving BlackBerry... But I feel like they did it to themselves...

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You just got that thing! :p

I thought this contest was for a case not an actual GN, don't get me wrong I wouldn't complain. But I may have to rescind my previous statement about giving Panda one as a thank you for all the good information he has provided on this and other devices.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

My Smartphone History:

1) 1999 with the Palm VII which ran on the Mobitex Netwrok
2) 2001 Blackberry 950 Exchange Edition
3) 2003 Blackberry 7280
4) 2006 Blackberry 8707v (first GPRS/EDGE/UMTS) Blackberry Sold Unlocked
(first phone that I was able to roam in Japan with)
5) 2007 HTC TyTN (unbranded/unlocked model)
5) 2009 Blackberry 9630 Tour
6) 2010 Blackberry 9650 Tour2 (still use that for work email)
7) 2010 Google Nexus ONE (NAM 3G Version)
8) Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ Model (when released)

Previous Forums Followed:
1) Crackberry.com
2) Androidcentral.com

Forum Participation:

To be frankly honest, I visit the forums when I have a question or issue that I am unable to resolve on my own. I am thankful for both the Crackberry forums and the Androidcentral.com forums as I take way more than I give back to them.

Dan

chuck41520

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I have owned flip phones, blackberrys, palms and Sony phones. The smartphone revolution began for me with my purchase of the iPhone 3G. In 2009 I made the decision to get a Motorola Droid for myself and my wife.

Transitioning from an original iPhone to a OG Droid was simple. I had my iPhone 3G for 2 years before upgrading to the Droid and I haven't looked back. During the course of ownership I have noticed the phone getting slower and slower, I am wondering if this is because I have gotten faster with technology, or if the phone has just started to degrade over time. I am looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus as I have never had the opportunity to get into a nexus phone due to my contract with Verizon.

Can't wait for a release date and looking forward to my first 24 hours with the phone just enjoying the speed.

JoeProcopio

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Former OS/Device:
Android 2.3.7 CM7.1 Nightlies
Samsung Fascinate Galaxy S

Previous Forums:
MyDroidWorld, Android Forums, Droid Forums, XDA, Rootzwiki, I get around

I'm a forum addict pre & post release.

Any other interesting stuff you feel comfortable sharing.
Video Engineering in NYC
Avid phone geek, OG Droid, Droid Incredible, Fascinate, Droid Pro
Been wanting a Nexus device since th eOne was supposed to hit VZW and never did, so no doubt the NG will be my next phone, and I feel it will have such good staying power that I won't be itching to get out of my contract in 6 months to the newest latest greatest....

been a member for awhile, but never hit the forums for one reason or another...

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

Currently on a Blackberry Storm 2 and I am jumping over to the Galaxy Nexus when it becomes available.
I am still on Crackberry and also here on Androidcentral, but not as active since I don't have any hands on experience with any of the Android phones. Once I do I will be posting more. I come to Androidcentral to get the latest news and rumors on the Galaxy Nexus and its one of the few web sites I visit before starting my work day, lol.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Former OS/Device:

I currently have an Android device. Before I got my Thunderbolt I had the BlackBerry Storm 1.

Previous Forums:

I was on CrackBerry waiting for the Storm 3 then I realized that it wasn't going to come so I came here when the Thunderbolt was officially announced.

For the most part I'm pretty active on the forums. There was a month or 2 period where I didn't really participate, but that was mainly because I had so much going on (new job).

Any other interesting stuff you feel comfortable sharing.

Um, since I have a new job, my name no longer fits me. I'm a Software Engineer now, not a Web Development Analyst. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali