iPhone 4S vs. Gnex Speed Comparison

420board

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
well, actually, fact is everyone did copy Apple (in regards to desktop computer, laptops, mp3 players, phones and tablets). Obviously Steve Jobs didn't invent the products themselves, i.e., the phone or the cell phone. Nor did he invent the MP3 player, the laptop, etc etc. What he did do was invent evolutionary and industry shaking ideas. Ideas so evolutionary that they then became the standard and benchmark for which every other company/product thereafter tried to copy. Those ideas were portrayed in the form of his products (ipod, iphone, ipad, etc). When the Ipad was introduced, everyone looked at it with a puzzled look. "why would anyone care about the Ipad...it won't sell, it's just a humongous ipod." but what's happened since then? everyone company on the block has released their own versions of tablets (without much success) after watching the success the iPad has had.

everyone did copy Apple. As in, they are copying their products; Apple products that are deeply infused with ideas created by Steve Jobs.

to make a statement like, "everything Apple made was a copy". ok, and? you're basically saying that Apple copied the first Phone ever invented? so Apple copied Antonio Meucci who was the first to patent the telephone in 1871? that isn't a very significant statement. but you can say with a certainty that the entire industry did copy Apple's iPhone since its release, and the same for Apple's iPod and iPad. without those evolutionary products, we probably wouldn't have a lot of the great (and no so great) products we have today, all of which copied ideas and designs established by the aforementioned apple products.

what i'm most wondering is...what the direction and future of apple will be without the demanding perfectionist that Steve Jobs was. He was the driving force behind taking un-popular ideas and making them the most popular ideas in the world. i don't know...maybe the Apple Television will be the next evolutionary product? i doubt it thought. without Jobs, it'll be tough for Apple to make any earth-shaking moves again.

Apple also sells a lot of products to a cult following, meaning regardless if their product is innovative or groundbreaking it will sell. Unfortunately other companies are ed and take that as a superior product, because they see millions spending more money on components that are much less expensive in other products. They copy and fail because their following doesn't want Apple products, they want something else.

If you look at my post apple did steal many physical design features from other companies and it is one of their most well known attributes. They have also taken ideas from other operating systems and improved upon them, just as android and other OSs have done in the past.

If you are looking for a quality, idiot proof product apple is definitely a great choice if you don't mind spending a little bit more. If you are looking for more flexibility there are other options out there.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see anything in his post that said he was using Verizon's 3G. He asked specifically if we coud tell him if VZW 3G is faster than what the UK has. If he was using VZW's 3G why would he ask that? He also said he was waiting on the US GN. I'm not sure were he's from but, I'm assuming it's the UK based on his question. Maybe he will clear that up. GSM (which they use in the UK) has been known to have a faster data speed than CDMA (which Verizon uses) and, from my experience this is true. I don't think they even use CDMA in the UK but, I'm not sure.

Of course it will be faster, it's LTE. The Iphone 4s doesn't have LTE. Haha! you must be what they call a Android fanboy. I'm a fanboy also but, not as extreme as you seem to be.

I kind of read between the lines to figure out he was in the US, plus not sure if it was him but somebody asked the same question on YouTube.

Android fanboy LOL I have a Blackberry Storm 2 for the last 25 months and before that a BB Pear for 2 years. Only think I have close to either a Android or iPhone is my iPod Touch 4. Wife and step son have iPhones, in fact using his for this post. Can't wait to get me a GN to join the Android Revolution.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the confussion guys/gals. I'm in Northern Ohio. I've ran my 4S 3 times against that video and it is much faster on my device. I was hoping that a few others could also check the speed of their phones (what ever they may be) and see if theirs is faster as well. When I watched the video for the first time, I thought immediately how slow they both seemed. Thanks in advance

You obviously have a better connection, but it doesnt matter. The test on the video shows the two phones connected to the SAME carrier. Obviously different carriers will be faster or slower, but both phones would be sped up or held back by the increase/decrease in speed. This video legitimately shows the iphone geting getting its as waxed!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You obviously have a better connection, but it doesnt matter. The test on the video shows the two phones connected to the SAME carrier. Obviously different carriers will be faster or slower, but both phones would be sped up or held back by the increase/decrease in speed. This video legitimately shows the iphone geting getting its as waxed!

The Iphone did get beat but, to be fair, I believe the Nexus can access HSPA+, whereas the Iphone4s has HSDPA. From my understanding, HSPA+ is faster so, the Nexus should win.

420board

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Agreed but also, radio strength qnd quality should be a part of the equation also. I guess what i am saying is i would place more importance on a fair test, same carrier, same technology radio, just like the video showed. I dont realy care who wins wifi. They are mobile phones. I am mobile with my phone ten to one over wifi. If one radio has a strength over the other well it wins!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
thats wrong, the 4s has HSPA+, the $ has HSDPA.

AnandTech - Apple iPhone 4S includes HSPA+ 14.4, GSM/CDMA Dual Mode, Diversity

Best test is wifi though, because its possible the stronger radio is just pulling a better signal.

I don't think that article is correct. In the Apple conference, it clearly states that it's HSDPA. Here is a wiki article about the technology:

High-Speed Downlink Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know for sure and, this is based on my personal experience with HSPA+ It is very fast and, T-mobile calls it their 4G. Some people don't consider it the real 4G, just an advanced 3G. This is true but, when you dig deeper and, start researching it, that's all LTE is also.

If the Iphone 4s was truly HSPA+ they would be touted it as so and, consider it having 4G. It seems like you guys want to turn this into a Iphone vs. Nexus thing and, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just stating things based on my experience and what I've read and know.

420board

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that article is correct. In the Apple conference, it clearly states that it's HSDPA. Here is a wiki article about the technology:

High-Speed Downlink Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know for sure and, this is based on my personal experience with HSPA+ It is very fast and, T-mobile calls it their 4G. Some people don't consider it the real 4G, just an advanced 3G. This is true but, when you dig deeper and, start researching it, that's all LTE is also.

If the Iphone 4s was truly HSPA+ they would be touted it as so and, consider it having 4G. It seems like you guys want to turn this into a Iphone vs. Nexus thing and, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just stating things based on my experience and what I've read and know.

My apologies, I believe there is confusion with their new Dual radio design...it seems a lot of people are calling it HSPA+ because it is capable of 14mbps down. I was just picking up on bad information. I'm not trying to make it a debate about iphone vs gn, I just want facts out there, not conjecture.

HSDPA 14.4 Mbit/s
UMTS, HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s
EDGE, EV-DO Rev.A

Good point eddie

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Agreed but also, radio strength qnd quality should be a part of the equation also. I guess what i am saying is i would place more importance on a fair test, same carrier, same technology radio, just like the video showed. I dont realy care who wins wifi. They are mobile phones. I am mobile with my phone ten to one over wifi. If one radio has a strength over the other well it wins!

I am not so sure if it matters whether or not two phones are on the same carrier or have the same radio technology. If you want to have a maximally fair test, then you would have two phones with the same hardware-- everything including the screen, material the case is made out of, and camera. However, that would be worthless. In the end, you have the same phone being tested against itself. Any test between two top tier phones is legitimate. If an AT&T flagship phone has less advanced hardware compared to a VZW flagship phone and it loses, then oh well! The VZW phone is objectively better. We can't throw our hands up and call foul due to the lack of innovation on the part of any manufacturer. If they fail to put out the superior phone, regardless of in what respect, then they failed.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the confussion guys/gals. I'm in Northern Ohio. I've ran my 4S 3 times against that video and it is much faster on my device. I was hoping that a few others could also check the speed of their phones (what ever they may be) and see if theirs is faster as well. When I watched the video for the first time, I thought immediately how slow they both seemed. Thanks in advance

So, you're comparing the speed of your phone to the speed of another phone that is in a different location and that most probably has a very different connection speed, and you're expecting...what?

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

different network, different speed. You can't compare it that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884