Is there anything about the Note 20 Ultra which you don't like?

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I've had the Note 20 ultra for a month now. I found I don't like :
1) the unreliability of making and receiving calls while wearing headphones. Since 90% of my calls would come when I have headphones on, that's a problem. At least my 100 year old phones don't mute. (the mic mutes about 60% of the time).
2) the curved glass. I thought i'd like it, and I still do on certain features, but it causes distortion on certain pages and probably makes the phone more fragile.
3) a mediocre do not disturb mode; certainly worse than the 2014 version. Why would Samsung think it's a good idea for the ringer to pop up for non-allowed calls?
4) the enormous camera bump. Otterbox alleviates this problem.
5) no headphone jack. I wouldn't seriously mind the dongle if I didn't have the muted mic problem. The dongle kind of protects the headphone wire. Also, what if the dongle gets misplaced? I'm up the creek for a little while.
6) the mediocre fingerprint reader. I do have a silicone screen protector and I did freshly re-establish the fingerprints. It's not unusual for it to take 4 or 5 tries.

Other than the phone part of it, I really like it. It's the first phone I've ever had where I actually want to use apps. For me, the note part is much more of a toy than anything productive, but I do enjoy the toy part of it. It's a general pleasure to use.

Are there any third-party phone apps? I suppose the problem with those would be security and privacy.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised to see several people saying this. I have really been impressed with how well the fingerprint sensor works, especially since I started using my thumb instead of a finger.

May depend on what you're used to. The N20U fingerprint reader is slower and more finicky than on the Note 9 I upgraded from.

My biggest beef with the N20U is that the screen off note notification has been broken since the phone came out, and Samsung does not seem to be able to fix it. That is pretty much the reason I own a Note, so it's been a huge disappointment. Makes me sorry I didn't just keep using my Note 9, which I loved. You can kind of, sort of fake it with AOD, but it's not the same.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've finally used my Note 20 Ultra enough to adjust to the differences from the Note 8/9.

At this point my main complaint is with the camera. While in most ways the camera is better it fails for macro due to the larger sensor and large aperture. Note 9 with the smaller sensor and dual aperture, is just better for macro shots due to focus distance and depth of field advantages.

Also Samsungs portrait mode is still absolute garbage compared to the real thing, it just looks fake and edge detection especially with hair is horrendous but it has improved over past phones.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty happy overall with the Note 20 Ultra.
Sure there are little things here and there that could be better but for me this phone is the best all round phone that money can buy.

RAvEcREAToR23

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
There is only 1 thing I hate on 20 ultra... small thing probably for most users not problem at all. so 20 ultra somehow maybe 80% blocks voice notify app if screen is locked. example I got notification hear sound screen locked and voice notify say nothing until I unlock or light up screen! then voice notify reads notification. rarely when get notification voice notify reads notification even if screen locked. on note 9 not hat this problem! I even put voice notify in NEWER sleeping apps section, not helps. When screen unlocked i use phone no problems voice notify always reads notifications 🥴

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Got mine about 2 weeks ago. I had a S10+ before, and a S8+ before that.

Only thing I wish it had was a headphone jack, but I've just accepted that those are going away. Bought a pair of Galaxy Buds Plus. They do sound good, and work perfectly and seamlessly with the phone. Other than that I love it. The huge screen is amazing, camera is fantastic IMO. Thank god they decided to keep the MicroSD card slot on the Note Ultra. Really if it had two front facing speakers instead of one front and the one bottom firing speaker I'd say it's perfect in terms of what I want. The headphone jack, now that I got a pair of nice BT earbuds I've made peace with that lol.

Software wise I will say I've been getting a bit worried with the way Samsung is sticking ads in certain places. Like the weather app. In my opinion a $1,000 phone should not have ads in any of it's included "stock" apps (by that I mean Samung apps in this case). Imagine if Apple updated their weather app one day to have a ugly banner ad right at the top. My mom's $300 Moto G Power does not have any ads in its built-in weather app or in ANY of its included Motorola apps/tools. Just to be clear I'm not talking about bloatware either. My Note 20 Ultra just had Facebook and some Microsoft apps that I didn't want pre loaded. But mine is the U1 US Unlocked version, not a carrier version which of course will have quite a bit of bloatware apps (I don't think fully installed but the icons will be in the launcher).

But I purchased the Android version of the AdGuard app (the App not the ad blocker for a browser) months ago which blocks ads system wide. So, I don't see the ugly banner ad in the weather app, just a pretty image representing the current weather conditions. If you're curious about it just go to adguards website and check it out, you can use it for a week for free. Not surprisingly Google does not allow an app that blocks ads system wide in the play store.

Other than the ad thing which I'm just worried about as a slippery slope, I still love Samsung's software. My first Android was the first Galaxy S (sold by AT&T as the Galaxy Captivate). Had the S4, and later the S6 or S7 (whichever one was out when the note 7 thing happened). It amazes me how much their "skin" or UX and software in general has improved. In both function and looks. I remember when "TouchWiz" was SO SO laggy and skippy. Kinda crazy how much the software side has improved. I get why some people prefer stock Android but I would miss to many features. Things like Smart Switch letting me create a full backup to my 512 GB MicroSD card, or to my PC if I wanted (including app data). The theme engine, secure folder, Samsung Pay, Game Launcher and the other gaming features etc etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Got mine about 2 weeks ago. I had a S10+ before, and a S8+ before that.

Only thing I wish it had was a headphone jack, but I've just accepted that those are going away. Bought a pair of Galaxy Buds Plus. They do sound good, and work perfectly and seamlessly with the phone. Other than that I love it. The huge screen is amazing, camera is fantastic IMO. Thank god they decided to keep the MicroSD card slot on the Note Ultra. Really if it had two front facing speakers instead of one front and the one bottom firing speaker I'd say it's perfect in terms of what I want. The headphone jack, now that I got a pair of nice BT earbuds I've made peace with that lol.

Software wise I will say I've been getting a bit worried with the way Samsung is sticking ads in certain places. Like the weather app. In my opinion a $1,000 phone should not have ads in any of it's included "stock" apps (by that I mean Samung apps in this case). Imagine if Apple updated their weather app one day to have a ugly banner ad right at the top. My mom's $300 Moto G Power does not have any ads in its built-in weather app or in ANY of its included Motorola apps/tools. Just to be clear I'm not talking about bloatware either. My Note 20 Ultra just had Facebook and some Microsoft apps that I didn't want pre loaded. But mine is the U1 US Unlocked version, not a carrier version which of course will have quite a bit of bloatware apps (I don't think fully installed but the icons will be in the launcher).

But I purchased the Android version of the AdGuard app (the App not the ad blocker for a browser) months ago which blocks ads system wide. So, I don't see the ugly banner ad in the weather app, just a pretty image representing the current weather conditions. If you're curious about it just go to adguards website and check it out, you can use it for a week for free. Not surprisingly Google does not allow an app that blocks ads system wide in the play store.

Other than the ad thing which I'm just worried about as a slippery slope, I still love Samsung's software. My first Android was the first Galaxy S (sold by AT&T as the Galaxy Captivate). Had the S4, and later the S6 or S7 (whichever one was out when the note 7 thing happened). It amazes me how much their "skin" or UX and software in general has improved. In both function and looks. I remember when "TouchWiz" was SO SO laggy and skippy. Kinda crazy how much the software side has improved. I get why some people prefer stock Android but I would miss to many features. Things like Smart Switch letting me create a full backup to my 512 GB MicroSD card, or to my PC if I wanted (including app data). The theme engine, secure folder, Samsung Pay, Game Launcher and the other gaming features etc etc.
Can use usb-C headphones

Michael MCATEE

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I have had my unlocked n20 ultra for less than a week now. It replaced a year old att note 10. I've had several of the notes since # 2 came out with several Moto's and LG's and HTC's thrown in along with the Captiva as well.

My complaints are 2 fold.. No headphone jack hence no FM access or some truly great on board dacs .. Yup I am a old fart that's been working with these phones since Cupcake..

I can honestly say ( save for my minor complaints) that this note is the best one yet ... Period. The os and the camera and the whole package with it's speed and fluidity and great battery life makes it so. The UI is pretty good too but I still use Nova Prime, but I do bounce back and forth with them. I am a old fart remember.

It may not have dual front firing speakers, but it's damn loud and can get my wife to yell to turn it down from the other side of the house... Lol.

All in all.. I am really loving it so far.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have had my unlocked n20 ultra for less than a week now. It replaced a year old att note 10. I've had several of the notes since # 2 came out with several Moto's and LG's and HTC's thrown in along with the Captiva as well.

My complaints are 2 fold.. No headphone jack hence no FM access or some truly great on board dacs .. Yup I am a old fart that's been working with these phones since Cupcake..

I can honestly say ( save for my minor complaints) that this note is the best one yet ... Period. The os and the camera and the whole package with it's speed and fluidity and great battery life makes it so. The UI is pretty good too but I still use Nova Prime, but I do bounce back and forth with them. I am a old fart remember.

It may not have dual front firing speakers, but it's damn loud and can get my wife to yell to turn it down from the other side of the house... Lol.

All in all.. I am really loving it so far.
I bounce between Nova and One UI also :)

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The curved screen. I am sick of it. Not gonna continue to pay 50 dollars for a glass screen protector the chips along the edges after a couple days. My next phone will have a flat screen even if I have to switch brands.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Just got mine today. Getting my feet wet so to speak. Coming from iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Finally got it up and running. One thing I hate is the curved screen. Less upset about the Samsung bloat; prefer to use Google apps. Was going to sell my iPhone 12 Pro Max but my learning curve is higher than I thought. Will give it a month and either keep it or send it to my son.

Laineyyyy

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Zero complaints... well, ok... the fingerprint sensor could be a little more responsive but other than that not a problem. I get great battery life 30+ hours most days, the size is beautiful for videos, wireless Dex is awesome, it turns my big screen TV into a computer and the phone becomes a mouse. Flawless connection to my devices.... it's a great phone! (and it had expandable storage, you won't get that with a newer phone)
Damn. How did you get 30+ hours per day? Is your device Snapdragon version?

Last edited: