Looking for a new phone (Pixel, V20, or wait for one of S8, G6, Ocean)

thepitz

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
As a current Iphone user (of an Iphone 5c) in the U.S., I have made the decision that I would like to switch to Android. I am having some trouble deciding which phone to get though even after some pretty thick digging.

First of all my main reasons for switching are the customization options and easier access to developer options. I haven't really been into mobile app development, but it is something I want to leave open for the future. Developing for both would be ideal, but I believe that Android would be a better platform for messing around and testing things for me. I also want a larger screen (the 5c has a 4 inch screen) so I can actually see videos and browse the internet without burying my face into my phone. I am looking for a high end phone that will last a little while (price does not matter). That being said these are the phones I have been looking at:

Google Pixel/Google Pixel XL:

The XL would be the most likely phone I would get. It seems to get good reviews, has a great camera, and performs very well speed wise. I've read that it will receive updates first (of course)
which is something that is useful for developers and uses at least mostly vanilla android depending where you get it. Unfortunately I have heard that many users have speaker and battery drain issues. This would be a huge issue if I am going to spend close to $1000 on a phone. I also read that they are fairly fragile and have minimal water resistance. The water resistance shouldn't be a problem (even though I dropped my Iphone in the toilet once), but the phone needs to be able to take a little bumping around because of my job if it's in my pocket. I will have a case for it.

LG V20:

Another high performing phone spec wise with a great camera. I like the design of the Pixel phone better though. The updates also are not as fast obviously. It also appears to have an LG skin for the interface. I've also heard that the LG phones have GPS issues which could be a problem. Still it is the only other phone currently out that interests me outside of the Galaxy S7 and the S8 is getting closer to its release date.

That means either picking up one of those two phones now or waiting for these:

Galaxy S8:

Most popular series, has a pretty nice design and will have the new Snapdragon 835. The downsides are that I have heard Samsung is very slow with updates and is pretty far from being vanilla (that may not be too much of a problem but not really sure). Also not sure if I want a curved screen.

LG G6:

Seems like a pretty good phone that would be an upgrade over the V20, but not sure what the price point would be compared to the V20 either and whether it would be worth it or not.

New HTC Phone(Ocean/11):

I really don't know a lot about it, but from rumored leaks, it seems like it could be a pretty good phone. Though a lot is unknown.

So the question is should I wait for one of these new phones to come out (as the S8 and HTC phone still don't have any real official info out on them yet and the G6 isn't available until next month in the U.S.) or should I get a Pixel or V20 hoping that I don't run into the problems some of the other users have had over the course of their existence?

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
As a current Iphone user (of an Iphone 5c) in the U.S., I have made the decision that I would like to switch to Android. I am having some trouble deciding which phone to get though even after some pretty thick digging.

First of all my main reasons for switching are the customization options and easier access to developer options. I haven't really been into mobile app development, but it is something I want to leave open for the future. Developing for both would be ideal, but I believe that Android would be a better platform for messing around and testing things for me. I also want a larger screen (the 5c has a 4 inch screen) so I can actually see videos and browse the internet without burying my face into my phone. I am looking for a high end phone that will last a little while (price does not matter). That being said these are the phones I have been looking at:

Google Pixel/Google Pixel XL:

The XL would be the most likely phone I would get. It seems to get good reviews, has a great camera, and performs very well speed wise. I've read that it will receive updates first (of course)
which is something that is useful for developers and uses at least mostly vanilla android depending where you get it. Unfortunately I have heard that many users have speaker and battery drain issues. This would be a huge issue if I am going to spend close to $1000 on a phone. I also read that they are fairly fragile and have minimal water resistance. The water resistance shouldn't be a problem (even though I dropped my Iphone in the toilet once), but the phone needs to be able to take a little bumping around because of my job if it's in my pocket. I will have a case for it.

LG V20:

Another high performing phone spec wise with a great camera. I like the design of the Pixel phone better though. The updates also are not as fast obviously. It also appears to have an LG skin for the interface. I've also heard that the LG phones have GPS issues which could be a problem. Still it is the only other phone currently out that interests me outside of the Galaxy S7 and the S8 is getting closer to its release date.

That means either picking up one of those two phones now or waiting for these:

Galaxy S8:

Most popular series, has a pretty nice design and will have the new Snapdragon 835. The downsides are that I have heard Samsung is very slow with updates and is pretty far from being vanilla (that may not be too much of a problem but not really sure). Also not sure if I want a curved screen.

LG G6:

Seems like a pretty good phone that would be an upgrade over the V20, but not sure what the price point would be compared to the V20 either and whether it would be worth it or not.

New HTC Phone(Ocean/11):

I really don't know a lot about it, but from rumored leaks, it seems like it could be a pretty good phone. Though a lot is unknown.

So the question is should I wait for one of these new phones to come out (as the S8 and HTC phone still don't have any real official info out on them yet and the G6 isn't available until next month in the U.S.) or should I get a Pixel or V20 hoping that I don't run into the problems some of the other users have had over the course of their existence?

Accessing to developer option or simply develop your own app.
Anything you can use tho, but if you a developer, you may want to take a look at Pixel because of the update, app should be adapted to new version of OS tho.
You can use case to protect the device if you scare it will brake.

thepitz

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Accessing to developer option or simply develop your own app.
Anything you can use tho, but if you a developer, you may want to take a look at Pixel because of the update, app should be adapted to new version of OS tho.
You can use case to protect the device if you scare it will brake.

All right, thank you. I actually had ordered the Pixel, I got it this past Wednesday. Enjoying it so far, but haven't made any calls yet. I have a case for it as well and after a couple days of use it seems ok. I am not technically a developer, but it is an option I would like to keep open as it is interesting to me. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali