Looking for slow motion camera, post-action trigger

Mighty

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a slow motion camera app, where it keeps a running buffer and I can trigger a save after the action.

The issue is that slow motion really eats up storage. All I need is short clips, so I'd like to save only when I know I have something to save.

My particular use for this is to set it up to record hockey shot technique. So, I'd like to take a shot and then hit a trigger to save the last few seconds. A trigger on the screen would be acceptable. Support for a remote trigger would be better.

I've done some searching, and all the search phrases I've come up with, so far, return the entire world of camera apps, along with most of the post processing video editor apps. I've opened the descriptions of the top dozen or so apps, and haven't found this feature listed in any of them.

My camera is a Pixel 6 Pro. I might also want to use this with an Amazon Fire HD 8. Though, maybe I could transfer it across while there at the rink. I don't know what phone my buddy has, but it's reasonably current.

Does anyone know of an app that does this? Or, some other way to easily accomplish this while on the ice?

Thanks,
Drake

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you could reply with some of the terms you used in your searches to prevent people posting back the same results you've already explored. Just a thought.

Anyway, the first thing that came to mind for me was looping footage. Now finding an app that loops and does slow-mo is kind of specific but with a video editing app you can get simulated slow-mo, not sure if that works for your purposes.... I found this app that loop records with programmable file size or time limit. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ngvideorecorder&hl=en_US&gl=US&token=zs41br3b

Mighty

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I really couldn't come up with any clever searches. Just, Google Play, "slow mo camera app" and "slow motion camera app trigger". Or, adding "android" to the front of those in Google itself.

Thanks for the pointer. Loop recording is kind of in the right direction. But, it's still not quite right. I tried searching for "slow motion loop recording" which brought up a bunch of GIF-makers and boomarang apps. But, none better than the one you pointed out.

What I'm wanting to do is take some hockey shots against the boards, tapping a button after each shot. And then take a break and review the clips. Then, probably delete the clips. And then, repeat the entire process.

Quick turnaround is part of what I need. So, going through an editing step is not going to be appropriate.

I just thought of looking for "sports training playback camera". I'm currently going through those results. There are a couple titled as Coach's aids, so maybe one of these will work.

Thanks for prompting that brainstorm.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If editing isn't an option then something like, burst shot, probably wouldn't help. Burst would be a lot of images that could be strung together in a gif and slowed or sped to any speed.

Samsung's One Take would be similar but not sure what you could get like that on a Pixel.

So adding burst to search words is about all I got for you then...

Mighty

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Amazing how often I miss the obvious. In two ways, this time.

I had gotten the idea of the post-action trigger from seeing that used to capture lightning and other high speed events. Turns out, there's a lightning camera app available Cover art
Lightning Camera - Fast Burst Camera
. I should have put lightning in my searches. Your burst suggestion brought that one up.

And then it occurred to me *slapping forehead* I might be making this all too complicated. Might be, all I need to do is use a remote trigger. Start recording, take a few shots, stop recording. Duh! That makes it more convenient, and, will cut a lot of wasted storage from moving to and from the phone.

I had a feeling when I wrote my first post that I was missing something obvious. I think that's my best solution.

OTOH, the advantage of the lightning cam is that I can take several shots, and then if I have one that I want to review, I can hit the trigger. That way, I don't have a bunch I don't care about.

I appreciate your help. You've made me think this through more thoroughly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d