love this phone but....

kb31550

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Lets start off by saying I love this phone and I just rooted it. I'm glad all the bloat ware is off this phone, but why in the world did Samsung leave off a led indixatior seriously? It's a 600 phone? Ugh who's with me on this one?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That's been covered multiple times on here already...

You get used to not having it there. If you really want an indicator, flash a ROM/kernal that supports backlight notifications, which use the softkey backlights to alert you for messages/emails/missed calls

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess it would be handy, but I do recall being almost obsessed with glancing at the little red led on my BlackBerry when I had it. I don't mind my subconscious being a little more disconnected from technology.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Lets start off by saying I love this phone and I just rooted it. I'm glad all the bloat ware is off this phone, but why in the world did Samsung leave off a led indixatior seriously? It's a 600 phone? Ugh who's with me on this one?

its true we can do without it , but you are totally right, you pay so much money for the phone why couldnt they just get the 2 dollar LED to work. i dont really care about it, but yeah i hear ya

kb31550

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I've tried the no led apparently really didn't care for it thanks for the tip though. Yeah I year ya about the BB thing I've had a BBC since I was 17 now I'm 22. I actually work for a premium vzw retailer so I would love a led light for emails, but whatever I will leave at least until a new Droid comes along haha.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I too thought I'd miss it until I didn't have it. It's really not a hassle to turn on your display occasionally if you feel you missed the audible or vibrating notification. I now run BLN Control because my kernel supports it. I feel the constant light of the soft keys is better than the intermittent LED flash. One quick glance and you know if there's a message versus waiting for a little blink every few seconds.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I too thought I'd miss it until I didn't have it. It's really not a hassle to turn on your display occasionally if you feel you missed the audible or vibrating notification. I now run BLN Control because my kernel supports it. I feel the constant light of the soft keys is better than the intermittent LED flash. One quick glance and you know if there's a message versus waiting for a little blink every few seconds.

Yep same here. I definitely don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Its great to have, but its by no means a dealbreaker for me. Besides, it gives me an excuse to look at this oh so gorgeous screen. :)

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk Pro

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
That's been covered multiple times on here already...

You get used to not having it there. If you really want an indicator, flash a ROM/kernal that supports backlight notifications, which use the softkey backlights to alert you for messages/emails/missed calls

Flashing a kernel is a good idea, just don't flash a colonel (if you expect to have much of a career in the service.) Kernals are hit and miss.

But seriously, this aggrivates me for the simple reason that not only is there no LED but there is very little else in the way of useful notifications either! No way to get the vibrate to run longer, not much you can do in the way of customizing tones and volumes, and no way to get the screen to turn on briefly as new messages come in (without trickery in an app or kernel.) Add all these things up and yes, I do still long for the LED (or dare I say it, my trusty old supernotificationous blackberry).

Hubcap

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got this phone last week and didn't even notice the fact it didn't have a notification LED I upgraded from the Touch Pro LOL. I have a Blackberry work makes me drag around so I know what ya mean about the BBs. I downloaded the NOLED app and set it up to use the Icons and I kinda like it better than a single light.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't care that it doesn't have a notification LED. When I get a text or an email or a tweet, my phone makes a noise. I can deal with there being four emails in my inbox. I probably never leave my phone alone for more than a half hour at a time so I see them when I use my phone next.

The notification light is kind of like the track ball. It's nice to have but after a while you just don't miss them.

Joel S.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I use BLN, I appreciate having it because there are times when it's impossible for me to hear the phone.

Bigger question for me is why the hell did they put the charging port on the TOP of the phone?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I use BLN, I appreciate having it because there are times when it's impossible for me to hear the phone.

Bigger question for me is why the hell did they put the charging port on the TOP of the phone?

That's easy: Put it on the bottom (imho the smartest place since I sometimes talk while plugged) and you look like you copied the iPhone, so no-go. Put it on the left side or the right side, and the right-handers or left-handers (respectively) will be up in arms that you made a wrong-handed phone. So, what side is left? That's right, the top, where it will piss off everyone equally.

bmidd

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Those that never had an LED notification don't miss it. Those of us that actually USED a phone and relied on it do miss it. The corny NoLed thing just looks plain cheesy, the wife has it and she suffers lag from it too.

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I too was worried about what it would be like without an LED as I've become used to being able to glance at my droid and see if a certain color blinks to let me know i've missed something. Since I work in an office I usually keep my phone turned way down out of respect since most of us are in cubicles. I read about the noled on here and decided to test it on my droid as I wait for my fascinate (that I ordered Friday!!!) and so far I think I'm going to enjoy it more than an LED because it lets you know if you've missed more than one thing (like an email and phone call). The only thing I've found is that if you use handcent then its best to toggle off your sms alert on noled. I recieved a text earlier and the handcent window popped up over my noled which caused my screen to stay on showing my text. Not a huge deal, but a minor annoyance.

Joel S.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
That's easy: Put it on the bottom (imho the smartest place since I sometimes talk while plugged) and you look like you copied the iPhone, so no-go. Put it on the left side or the right side, and the right-handers or left-handers (respectively) will be up in arms that you made a wrong-handed phone. So, what side is left? That's right, the top, where it will piss off everyone equally.

lol, sounds about right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88