LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) won't keep data connection

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
When my phone is using LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) as it's preferred network type, data keeps becoming unavailable and stops loading Every 30secs-2mins. Won't start again until I switch airplane mode on and off. Curiously, switching my data on and off has no effect.

However, GSM Auto (PRL) will consistently hold a 3g connection. Not ideal but less infuriating in the short term...

Naturally, LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) is also my phones default setting and I can't find a way to keep it on GSM. Even when I close the menu it goes back to LTE.

My questions are-

Wtf does any of this mean? I'm stumbling across all of this information with the aim of fixing my phone but have no idea what it's actually telling me.

If there's not a way to further determine the problem or fix it and get me back on 4g, is there a way I can at least keep the preferred network type on GSM?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Which phone ?
When my phone is using LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) as it's preferred network type, data keeps becoming unavailable and stops loading Every 30secs-2mins. Won't start again until I switch airplane mode on and off. Curiously, switching my data on and off has no effect.

However, GSM Auto (PRL) will consistently hold a 3g connection. Not ideal but less infuriating in the short term...

Naturally, LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) is also my phones default setting and I can't find a way to keep it on GSM. Even when I close the menu it goes back to LTE.

My questions are-

Wtf does any of this mean? I'm stumbling across all of this information with the aim of fixing my phone but have no idea what it's actually telling me.

If there's not a way to further determine the problem or fix it and get me back on 4g, is there a way I can at least keep the preferred network type on GSM?

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
I thought that whilst you're away I'd share the list of things I tried whilst using LTE/UMTS before I found the half fix-

I checked for planned works or disturbances in my area with my network carrier. I should be getting full service.

I checked and then for the hell of it reset and manually entered my APN settings

I've cleared the cache on all of the apps and Android system files that are on my device

Ive rebooted in safe mode (have not downloaded anything recently but just to check, no change)

I moved my SIM into the 2nd slot in my phone

I did a network roam? Not sure if that's the right term. I tried to connect to a wrong network and then reconnected to the correct one. This was suggested to me to reboot the connection with the network. My carrier also then re-provisioned my service remotely

Network mode is 2g/3g/4g auto. Switching to 3g only does not change the problem despite having a steady 3g connection with GSM as previously mentioned. Temporarily switching to GSM is the only way I can get my phone to hold a data connection without it dropping

I put my SIM into my old HTC. Which then works fine. It would have been a joyous occasion to see an uninterrupted signal if it was on a phone that didn't overheat whilst switching on hah. I'm guessing this suggests that the problem is indeed with my device or the software on it?

I'm waiting for a new SIM to be delivered on a different carrier to my current one, just for something to try, but have already tried a new one from my current carrier to no avail

Hope this might give some clarity :) speak tomorrow

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
From your phone dialler dial *#*#4636#*#*

Select option 'phone information'
Scroll down and hit 'select preferred network type' then select LTE/CDMA/UMTS/auto(PRL) from the drop down list

I had similar issues yesterday and did this and fixed mine. I'm on Sky Mobile but it's an MVNO of O2 just like GiffGaff

Hope this helps

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I thought that whilst you're away I'd share the list of things I tried whilst using LTE/UMTS before I found the half fix-

I checked for planned works or disturbances in my area with my network carrier. I should be getting full service.

I checked and then for the hell of it reset and manually entered my APN settings

I've cleared the cache on all of the apps and Android system files that are on my device

Ive rebooted in safe mode (have not downloaded anything recently but just to check, no change)

I moved my SIM into the 2nd slot in my phone

I did a network roam? Not sure if that's the right term. I tried to connect to a wrong network and then reconnected to the correct one. This was suggested to me to reboot the connection with the network. My carrier also then re-provisioned my service remotely

Network mode is 2g/3g/4g auto. Switching to 3g only does not change the problem despite having a steady 3g connection with GSM as previously mentioned. Temporarily switching to GSM is the only way I can get my phone to hold a data connection without it dropping

I put my SIM into my old HTC. Which then works fine. It would have been a joyous occasion to see an uninterrupted signal if it was on a phone that didn't overheat whilst switching on hah. I'm guessing this suggests that the problem is indeed with my device or the software on it?

I'm waiting for a new SIM to be delivered on a different carrier to my current one, just for something to try, but have already tried a new one from my current carrier to no avail

Hope this might give some clarity :) speak tomorrow

You can try what the other member suggested, but if that don't work and you tried few things yourself , I would take it in to the carrier and have them configure it.

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
From your phone dialler dial *#*#4636#*#*

Select option 'phone information'
Scroll down and hit 'select preferred network type' then select LTE/CDMA/UMTS/auto(PRL) from the drop down list

I had similar issues yesterday and did this and fixed mine. I'm on Sky Mobile but it's an MVNO of O2 just like GiffGaff

Hope this helps

This setting has the same problem for me, it drops and I can only use it again once I've used airplane mode. Also- does your phone default back to its original preferred network when you close the testing menu or reset? I can't find a way to make my choice 'stick'

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Giffgaff doesn't have a store they are online only. Doesn't this strike you as a handset issue then? I'm confused ������
I wouldn't think it handset issue yet, I'm thinking it needs the right configuration to stay, I would try contacting Giffgaff maybe they can give you a APN that works

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
I wouldn't think it handset issue yet, I'm thinking it needs the right configuration to stay, I would try contacting Giffgaff maybe they can give you a APN that works

But the default configuration has worked for the previous six months before this started happening. It's not like it isn't finding a strong useable 4g signal with it, just won't keep loading it until the use of flight mode to wake it up. Also- the config I changed it to can only receive 3g. That's only really a short term fix if I got a new APN to keep it that way

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But the default configuration has worked for the previous six months before this started happening. It's not like it isn't finding a strong useable 4g signal with it, just won't keep loading it until the use of flight mode to wake it up. Also- the config I changed it to can only receive 3g. That's only really a short term fix if I got a new APN to keep it that way
That is strange , but something had to change to cause this . I hate to recommend this but have you tried a factory reset?

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
That is strange , but something had to change to cause this . I hate to recommend this but have you tried a factory reset?

I know. It's really bizarre isn't it. I haven't tried a factory reset yet because it really seems like such a shame- I don't have anywhere to back up my data so will literally lose almost everything... Once I've exhausted all options and lost all hope rather than just my sanity, I'll try a factory reset before claiming on warranty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia