LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) won't keep data connection

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
When my phone is using LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) as it's preferred network type, data keeps becoming unavailable and stops loading Every 30secs-2mins. Won't start again until I switch airplane mode on and off. Curiously, switching my data on and off has no effect.

However, GSM Auto (PRL) will consistently hold a 3g connection. Not ideal but less infuriating in the short term...

Naturally, LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) is also my phones default setting and I can't find a way to keep it on GSM. Even when I close the menu it goes back to LTE.

My questions are-

Wtf does any of this mean? I'm stumbling across all of this information with the aim of fixing my phone but have no idea what it's actually telling me.

If there's not a way to further determine the problem or fix it and get me back on 4g, is there a way I can at least keep the preferred network type on GSM?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I know. It's really bizarre isn't it. I haven't tried a factory reset yet because it really seems like such a shame- I don't have anywhere to back up my data so will literally lose almost everything... Once I've exhausted all options and lost all hope rather than just my sanity, I'll try a factory reset before claiming on warranty
Yeah hold off on factory reset , if you sign into Google account everything should back up to Google drive and Google photos, but back up on computer also if you can.

I Know this tough , but you tried lot options .

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This setting has the same problem for me, it drops and I can only use it again once I've used airplane mode. Also- does your phone default back to its original preferred network when you close the testing menu or reset? I can't find a way to make my choice 'stick'

Mine definitely sticks. I messed about with my Pixel yesterday with this and it stuck with settings that didn't work for me. I had to go back in and change it back.

Hold off with the Factory Reset. Instead try doing a Network Settings reset instead. This will reset your WiFi, Mobile data and Bluetooth settings back to factory defaults without the pain of losing all your data and starting over again

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
It'll look something like this

Ah yes I did try the reset that way yesterday. I just forgot to list it. I remember because I had to re-pair my Bluetooth speaker.

For some reason when I change my network settings they just go back to the faulty one. But even if I could make it stay on GMS it's less than ideal.

Lol every time I comment I just want to keep reiterating how this just doesn't make any sense what so ever. *sigh*

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
Yeah hold off on factory reset , if you sign into Google account everything should back up to Google drive and Google photos, but back up on computer also if you can.

I Know this tough , but you tried lot options .

I'm going to try the different carrier SIM first. And I might even push my luck and take my phone in to an o2 store and see if I can pique their curiosity enough to take a look and maybe chat with tech support. Giff gaff runs off of o2's British network after all.

I'm still very open to trying any other ideas anyone might have though. Thanks so much for your input so far everyone :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to try the different carrier SIM first. And I might even push my luck and take my phone in to an o2 store and see if I can pique their curiosity enough to take a look and maybe chat with tech support. Giff gaff runs off of o2's British network after all.

I'm still very open to trying any other ideas anyone might have though. Thanks so much for your input so far everyone :)
Yeah definitely if you can try another sim and carrier. Let us Know how it goes.

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
Yeah definitely if you can try another sim and carrier. Let us Know how it goes.

Well it's only been half a day and I haven't restarted my phone since, for fear of messing it up, but somehow just putting a new networks SIM into my phone alongside my old one has gotten it to work (on 4g with a constant signal). Even though the other SIM is switched off.

Part of me wants to mess around and find out if it's permanently fixed. But the side that's winning says just wait and see don't risk muddling anything up ??????

I'm sorry I had to make you suggest the awful, awful words 'factory reset' hahaha.

Hopefully that's it for this thread ??????thanks to everyone who read my essays and gave advice!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well it's only been half a day and I haven't restarted my phone since, for fear of messing it up, but somehow just putting a new networks SIM into my phone alongside my old one has gotten it to work (on 4g with a constant signal). Even though the other SIM is switched off.

Part of me wants to mess around and find out if it's permanently fixed. But the side that's winning says just wait and see don't risk muddling anything up ������

I'm sorry I had to make you suggest the awful, awful words 'factory reset' hahaha.

Hopefully that's it for this thread ������thanks to everyone who read my essays and gave advice!
I'm glad it's working
At this point don't mess with it lol it's working.
If happens again we still here to tackle it , but in the mean time enjoy the phone and good luck

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe