Migrate S20 5G from T-Mobile to Verizon?

msengr

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
I've searched on this and after many calls to verizon I'm at a dead end. I bought my s20 off ebay (new) when I was with t-mobile, a month later I switched to verizon. I switched 4 phones over and only mine won't fully switch, still shows tmobile on start up, no wifi calling, no verizon apps etc. Do I need to flash the Verizon firmware or is there a way to force an update? I appreciate any help, don't want to try and flash the firmware and possibly brick the phone if not necessary. Thanks in advance for any help.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The splash screen is only affected by the firmware, so in short if you want a Verizon splash screen and more Verizon apps Yes, flashing their firmware is the only way to get it, that I am aware of. Once your device is branded to Verizon you will get all of the benefits and disadvantages of being a Verizon customer. I believe the Verizon Corporate stores are open again so I would take it to one of those to get the firmware. Authorized dealers may be able to do this as well but I'm not 100% on that, but they may try to charge you as well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've searched on this and after many calls to verizon I'm at a dead end. I bought my s20 off ebay (new) when I was with t-mobile, a month later I switched to verizon. I switched 4 phones over and only mine won't fully switch, still shows tmobile on start up, no wifi calling, no verizon apps etc. Do I need to flash the Verizon firmware or is there a way to force an update? I appreciate any help, don't want to try and flash the firmware and possibly brick the phone if not necessary. Thanks in advance for any help.
Is it carrier unlocked?
Edit :sim unlocked

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Was there any kind of stipulation that you be with T-Mobile for a certain amount of time before you could get it unlocked? Do you owe any money to T-Mobile?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The good news is that it is easy to change the firmware without bricking the phone. I too switched my S20 Ultra T-Mobile variant to Verizon firmware. I however thought it was too limited and went with universal software. The only huge feature you lose on U1 firmware is Verizon's video calling, but since you can use duo natively I see that as a non issue. If you need any assistance flashing PM me. I can point you in the right direction.

msengr

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
Sim was locked, I called Tmobile and they guided me through unlocking it, it shows unlocked. I purchased the phone at full price from ebay (new). My wife' and sons s10e as well as my daughters pixel all changed to verizon 100% just by swapping sim cards while mine still operates as a t-mobile device, even thanked me for being with tmobile after a software update this morning! Buzzy, I'm going to send you a PM later, appreciate the offer!

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It will work in it's current state. Just has T-Mo software which means you will be greeted with T-Mobile's splash screen and have their bloatware on it. Guess it would be important to flash Verizon software or the universal software if you want to get 5G. I'm on a gUdp so that's out of the question for me.
Sim was locked, I called Tmobile and they guided me through unlocking it, it shows unlocked. I purchased the phone at full price from ebay (new). My wife' and sons s10e as well as my daughters pixel all changed to verizon 100% just by swapping sim cards while mine still operates as a t-mobile device, even thanked me for being with tmobile after a software update this morning! Buzzy, I'm going to send you a PM later, appreciate the offer!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They did this through Tmobile device unlock app on the phone? And it prompted a restart after?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It will work in it's current state. Just has T-Mo software which means you will be greeted with T-Mobile's splash screen and have their bloatware on it. Guess it would be important to flash Verizon software or the universal software if you want to get 5G. I'm on a gUdp so that's out of the question for me.

He won't get 5G on a regular S20 with Verizon unless it's the Verizon branded S20 because only the Verizon S20 has the required hardware.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also if you need guidance on flashing here is a link here in the s20 forums, which you shouldn't need if unlock was done properly.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=997334

msengr

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
I don't recall if it prompted a restart but it was done through their unlock app, i have since factory reset to no avail. The splash screen doesn't bother me, i just want all my verizon features to work. I brought that up only because I figured if the splash screen was still there I think it shows that its still running 100% tmobile. I inserted an old sprint sim card I had laying around and it restarted like it was a sprint phone looking to activate on their network but just wouldn't activate (very old sim card, didn't expect anything more). I tried my wife's sim card to see if it would do it but still the same, its very strange.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't recall if it prompted a restart but it was done through their unlock app, i have since factory reset to no avail. The splash screen doesn't bother me, i just want all my verizon features to work. I brought that up only because I figured if the splash screen was still there I think it shows that its still running 100% tmobile. I inserted an old sprint sim card I had laying around and it restarted like it was a sprint phone looking to activate on their network but just wouldn't activate (very old sim card, didn't expect anything more). I tried my wife's sim card to see if it would do it but still the same, its very strange.
Verizon only carrier does strange things like this on Samsung phones lol
If everything else works leave it alone if not then you can always flash to Verizon firmware, which don't make sense since all carrier are universal and Sim should dictate what gets installed, but it's Verizon and they are special lol

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't switch when it's on carrier firmware. Have to be on unlocked software for firmware to carrier update.
Verizon only carrier does strange things like this on Samsung phones lol
If everything else works leave it alone if not then you can always flash to Verizon firmware, which don't make sense since all carrier are universal and Sim should dictate what gets installed, but it's Verizon and they are special lol

msengr

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
I am finally ready to do this and when I went to download the firmware I see there are 4 choices within the SM-G981U folder. They are all identical except for CHA, SPR, TMB, and USC. I assume one is sprint and another is Tmobile but which do I use for Verizon? I appreciate the help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am finally ready to do this and when I went to download the firmware I see there are 4 choices within the SM-G981U folder. They are all identical except for CHA, SPR, TMB, and USC. I assume one is sprint and another is Tmobile but which do I use for Verizon? I appreciate the help.
You can use any of them , on the unlocked model they all use same build number and your sim you put in will take over the rest.

msengr

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response. Guess I'll be trying tonight, will report back! Still have my Note 8 that I "smart switched" all my data to so if I mess it up I'll have time to fix it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response. Guess I'll be trying tonight, will report back! Still have my Note 8 that I "smart switched" all my data to so if I mess it up I'll have time to fix it.
In the firmware tool put
SM-G981U
Region vzw

This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it and download should be 3.13.1 or 3.14.1 / or Frija tool

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool , extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA

Home data slot dont put nothing

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

Put your model number,region select check for updates , then download the Rom , extract the Rom with 7zip.

*Make sure you put phone in download mode
*If dont see your phone connected in Odin change cables or ports in computer .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred