MMS's won't send when wifi connected (GPE s4... ATT S4 works fine)

jolt_man

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Nice sleuthing.

This seems to be the crux of my issue as well. proxy.mobile.att.net resolves on my wifi network but all the requests time out. I'm not using pfsense or any firewall really so I'm not sure how to go about correcting this in my Netgear WNDR3700 router. I'll keep looking though.

My issue was that when I was connected behind my pfSense router and ran the ping, it wouldn't resolve at all. Once I tried the address from my work machine, proxy.mobile.att.net would resolve (172.26.39.1) but remain un-pingable. This is to be expected as the address is in a private address range that is unroutable across a public network.

If you're on your home network and your phone can ping and resolve but get no responses from the address above, then maybe you have a different problem. Try pinging the other addresses in your MMS APNs. Are you still using DD-WRT or are you using your ASUS router?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
My issue was that when I was connected behind my pfSense router and ran the ping, it wouldn't resolve at all. Once I tried the address from my work machine, proxy.mobile.att.net would resolve (172.26.39.1) but remain un-pingable. This is to be expected as the address is in a private address range that is unroutable across a public network.

If you're on your home network and your phone can ping and resolve but get no responses from the address above, then maybe you have a different problem. Try pinging the other addresses in your MMS APNs. Are you still using DD-WRT or are you using your ASUS router?

What Android app are you using to ping from the phone with?

I haven't tried from my phone yet. From my PC on my home network and my PC on my work network they both can resolve proxy.mobile.att.net to 172.26.39.1 without issue. However, neither receives any ping responses back.

Not using DD-WRT... The Netgear router is running stock firmware at home.

jolt_man

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
You won't receive a ping reply from that address on your computer. The public internet cannot route those private internet addresses.

The app I use on the phone is called Android Terminal Emulator.

If your computer can successfully resolve that address then your phone on the same network via WiFi will most likely be able to resolve it as well.

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You won't receive a ping reply from that address on your computer. The public internet cannot route those private internet addresses.

The app I use on the phone is called Android Terminal Emulator.

If your computer can successfully resolve that address then your phone on the same network via WiFi will most likely be able to resolve it as well.

OK, well I downloaded a PING app from the play store to my GS4 GPe and ran a few tests. The 172 IP resolves just fine on WiFi on the phone - just as it does on my PCs. It doesn't respond to pings, obviously.

On LTE, however, the phone resolves proxy.mobile.att.net to a different (internal) IP this time (192.168.something) and it also responds to the ping requests just fine. So obviously ATT is expecting all MMS messages to go over the cellular radio and not WiFi.

My theory is that this is a bug in stock Android. I think Android is setup to try and send MMS over WiFi first and then fall back to the cell radio. That fallback code is failing though and not firing up the LTE radio as it should - so eventually the MMS just times out. This is also an issue with Nexus 4's as well - again stock Android.

I'm curious why it works for some people though... notably you and Planoman.

Could you post your APN?

jolt_man

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
This is the link I've followed for the APNs specifically for my wife's GS4 GE. It seems to work for her.

I'm not sure what is causing the issue for you. My issue was that I couldn't even resolve proxy.mobile.att.net. I think that what's happening is that because there is no route to the host over the WiFi, the query falls back to LTE. Then it sees a new address and resolves. Not sure why it's setup like that. I can't believe we're the only 2 people in the country to run into this issue. Take a look at the APN link I sent. Try to ping the IPs from within your WiFi network. I'd be curious what's going on.

You're having the MMS issue with the stock Netgear and DD-WRT? What about the Asus?

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Jolt--

THANK YOU!!! This was absolutely my problem.. DD-WRT I was using DNSMASQ as well.. once I added proxy.mobile.att.net to my hosts and it was resolvable MMS now function!

Way to go.. Can't believe I didn't think about pinging it... just assumed it would use the cellular DNS.

Thanks again!

Mike

jolt_man

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Jolt--

THANK YOU!!! This was absolutely my problem.. DD-WRT I was using DNSMASQ as well.. once I added proxy.mobile.att.net to my hosts and it was resolvable MMS now function!

Way to go.. Can't believe I didn't think about pinging it... just assumed it would use the cellular DNS.

Thanks again!

Mike

Glad I was able to help at least one person!

Jensen:

Were you using the same APNs? What about pinging all DNS names from those APNs?

jolt_man

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, but on T-Mobile LTE. I'm not as phone savvy as you guys... what would I type in to do this fix with T-Mobile? Thanks.

What are the APNs you've got setup on your phone? What WiFi router are you using? Are you using custom firmware on your router? Have you tried the method I mentioned in a previous post? Have you installed Android Terminal Emulator and tried pinging your MMS APNs from the phone (try pinging while connected to your WiFi and the try again after disabling WiFi on your phone) and for your internal network?

ASC_Racing

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am having this same issue using T-Mobile but like the guy above you are speaking in Japanese. :) I installed Android Terminal but have no idea whats next?

thair7391

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, but on T-Mobile LTE. I'm not as phone savvy as you guys... what would I type in to do this fix with T-Mobile? Thanks.

Hello all! So I know this thread is kind of old but it had a lot of relevant information to this issue so I thought I'd post my solution here. This issue drove me insane until just now when I fixed it.

I have a Nexus 5 (custom ROM; CM based) and just switched back to AT&T after being with T-Mobile for a year and not having signal. Since I switched, my MMS sending and receiving has been intermittent at best. I tried messing with countless APN configurations until I decided that something else had to be going on. I happened to disable my WiFi at home and realize that an MMS went through. Coincidence? Maybe... Well I tried again and again and it turns out it wasn't a coincidence.

I've been wanting to use Textra because I like it best but didn't find a way for it to solvey WiFi routed MMS issues at first. Now I have. There was an option to enable mobile data when sending MMS hut not disabling WiFi, or so I thought. Then I saw the T-Mobile WiFi Calling setting (very misleading). It actually does exactly this: it disables WiFi briefly when sending an MMS to ensure it goes through your cellular connection. Enable this option and you're set!

I tried messing around with my home network forwarding the proxy.mobile.att.net address directly through DNS and so on and it never worked for me. This did.

Give it a try!

Again a recap, if you can't send MMS when connected to WiFi, try using Textra for messaging, go to MMS settings, and enable the T-Mobile WiFi calling (even if you're on AT&T!) fix that disables WiFi when sending an MMS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos