Music files location?

smfoley1

Jul 1, 2020
Visit site
When I go into the google player app on my phone all my albums are there, but when I go to the Files app and look for them in the Music folder under the Artists folder, I cant find some of them. Any idea why or where they are located? I see all the other stuff thats in that artists file..... I have an SD card but I keep my music stored on the phones internal storage. I did check the SD card and searched for the album file as well as a couple of the tracks. Nothing. I even connected the phone to my PC and searched. Nothing. I also looked in that weird android.google.music or what ever it is folder, nothing. I dont get it. this is not something I bought and downloaded from Google or any other place. Its something I ripped to my pc and then put on my phone. Cant figure out why it shows up on the google player app but not anywhere else. It doesnt even show up in the stock samsung music player. Where the hell is it finding those files?

Laurieb52

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
During one of the google music updates over the last few months, the on-device storage location for recently downloaded music is hidden. Owned music downloaded in 2019 on tablets and phones can still be found under audio and in internal storage/ music, but songs downloaded in the last few months are nowhere to be found. It seems the change occurred with the introduction of the paid family subscription to allow other family members to access your music library, and to prevent sharing of downloaded music via messenger, email, etc. Google has also listed on one of their help pages that a song can only be downloaded a set number of times now (I can't remember how many, I think it was 4 or 5; while streaming from your online library is unlimited.)The only exception is you can download the music manager app on your laptop, then download your complete google music library to the computer for storage and sharing ( we've used music manager to also upload ripped mp3s from several hundred of our cds to our google music library.) Downloading to the music manager app does not count toward the number of downloads.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When I go into the google player app on my phone all my albums are there, but when I go to the Files app and look for them in the Music folder under the Artists folder, I cant find some of them. Any idea why or where they are located? I see all the other stuff thats in that artists file..... I have an SD card but I keep my music stored on the phones internal storage. I did check the SD card and searched for the album file as well as a couple of the tracks. Nothing. I even connected the phone to my PC and searched. Nothing. I also looked in that weird android.google.music or what ever it is folder, nothing. I dont get it. this is not something I bought and downloaded from Google or any other place. Its something I ripped to my pc and then put on my phone. Cant figure out why it shows up on the google player app but not anywhere else. It doesnt even show up in the stock samsung music player. Where the hell is it finding those files?

Welcome to Android Central! How did you transfer the files from your PC to the phone? Via USB, using Windows File Manager?
@Laurieb52, FYI, the OP is asking about music files that were ripped on a PC and transferred from the computer to the phone, not music tracks that were downloaded from Google Play Music.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and do you recall what folder you transferred them to? Or did you just transfer them to the main directory for the phone storage?