My "documents" folder duplicated and the files inside disappeared

TaunXD

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
My phone is a Nokia 3 with Android 7.1.1. It isn't rooted nor with custom ROMs (I don't know very much about that theme), I buyed it just some months ago.
It still hasn't an SD card so the problem occurred on the internal storage.
The phone has a very rudimentary default file explorer (in fact the name of the explorer is just "Downloads"). There is a folder called "documents" (all in lower case) that is one of the folders that the system creates automatically and some apps use it as a default download folder for some files like PDFs.
I had the dumb idea to rename it to "Documents" (same but with the first letter in upper case). The action spawned a folder named, in fact, "Documents" and another called "Documents (1)" but all my files stored in the original one wasn't in any of the new ones, both are completely empty.
If I open the first one it only says "No items" but the one with the "(1)" says "Failed to query documents".
I tried some things with both folders:

• Renaming back to "documents" (all in lower case)
1) It spawns a new folder named "Documents (2)" (the first letter in upper case)
2) It shows a notification saying "Couldn't rename 1 file"

• Renaming using another title
1) Works
2) Same error notification

• Copying/moving a file inside
1) Works
2) A notification saying "Couldn't copy/move 1 file"

• Deleting the folder
1) It respawns automatically
2) "Couldn't delete 1 file"

There's a chance to recover my files?
If not, it seems the first folder doesn't have big problems and it may be the new default "documents" folder, but how can I get rid off that "(1)" duplicate folder?
Thanks in advance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure the phone is running Android? In android, "documents" and "Documents" are two different names, and can both exost with no problem. On Windows (Microsoft owns Nokia, and used the Windows Mobile system), case doesn't matter, and if you already had a documents folder, creating a Documents folder would give you Documents(1) or Documents_copy. (Case, in Windows, doesn't matter.)

I think someone who does know "about that theme" (and how the phone works - even a techy friend) has to take a look at your phone for you and see what's going on.

TaunXD

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the response.
Yes, is an Android phone. The Nokia 3 is posterior to the Windows Phone era of the Nokia smartphones.
With "I don't know very much about that theme" I was meaning I just bought it and I didn't customize any of these things (root, ROMs, etc.) because I don't have any knowledge about it. I mentioned it because the guide of the questions forum says is important info.

I achieved to rename the first folder to lower case "documents" but the "(1)" folder doesn't disappear or load my documents.
I'm attaching some screenshots.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180826-115628.png
    Screenshot_20180826-115628.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20180826-115730.png
    Screenshot_20180826-115730.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20180826-115749.png
    Screenshot_20180826-115749.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 0