network signal issues?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
is anyone else having issues with the signal on the phone jumping sometimes or not as strong as itshould be? since i got my one X today ive noticed the signal bouncing, going from 4 bars to 1 bar , up to 3 then 4.. and doing the same things every so often.. i was out with the wife earlier and she had 5 bars on her iphone 4 and i had 3 on my one x.. she consistantly has 1-2 more bars than i do and any given time.. and i have already gotten a new sim.. wondering if i was the lucky guy that got a dud or if other people are seeing lower signal strength on their X

towerdave

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you know that Apple modified the code that drives their signal strength meter so it would display more bars for the same signal strength? Those signal strength meters mean nothing. Are you getting call drops in places where you never dropped before? Then you have an issue.

TD

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings>about>network to see signal strength in dbm. That's the best way to compare signal strength. Each phone will report signal different since the manufacturer determines how the bars are displayed relative to signal strength.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings>about>network to see signal strength in dbm. That's the best way to compare signal strength. Each phone will report signal different since the manufacturer determines how the bars are displayed relative to signal strength.

ill have to look and see if her iphone displays it that way.. and no other phone has had this issue around here.. i recently had a galaxy note.... and apple did change their signal strength, but it was so it didnt read so high.. they were using the wrong formula and it was previously reading to high on the ip4...

this phone shouldnt drop from 5 to one bars than gradually back up sitting in my house..

Jerome86

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
How do I know if I'm getting LTE. Is there a icon? There was was confusion
At Radio Shack when I got my phone. Don't think they gave me right sim.

zocasio

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
the letter LTE should be display under 4G letters, if you dont have LTE in you zone you will see just the 4G (HSPA+).
hope this help.

Jerome86

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
the letter LTE should be display under 4G letters, if you dont have LTE in you zone you will see just the 4G (HSPA+).
hope this help.

Thanks. Seen that in the manual. So back to the store I go. Getting good speeds now except
For at home. But want my LTE.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
yea make sure they didnt use iphone sim's they are only hspa+ now lte.. when i got mine yesterday they put my iphone sim in .. and i thought that could be why i was having signal issues .. att hooked me up with a LTE sim but my phone is still signal jumping so i think i may have a antenna issue in the phone.. it jumps almost 10db in signal sitting still..and i was really close to a tower .. that is a bit much imo

broseph23

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
You have to make sure you have an lte data plan. If the sim card was manufactured within the last year or so, which is most likely, then it is lte compatible. Doesn't matter which phone it came from previously. However in order to see the lte signal.on your phone you must call att and have them change your plan

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
ill have to look and see if her iphone displays it that way.. and no other phone has had this issue around here.. i recently had a galaxy note.... and apple did change their signal strength, but it was so it didnt read so high.. they were using the wrong formula and it was previously reading to high on the ip4...

this phone shouldnt drop from 5 to one bars than gradually back up sitting in my house..

Try this on her phone and see if it displays it for you. Go to the dialer and put this in *3001#12345#* then hit send.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
i got a replacement phone and a new sim and it seem fine now.. no fluctuation like before.. and not all micro sims in the last year are LTE compatible.. they just started making AT&T LTE micro sims for the lumia 900 and the one X.. the layout on the contact area of the sim is different than the old iphone hspa,hspa+ sim...

Jerome86

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok. May be my sim card. Called AT&T they said lte coveraged not in my area. I'm in the metro area of Atlanta so not sure. Not sure how far towers reach. Gone take a drive see if it picks up. Still a fast phone and really like it.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
i got a replacement phone and a new sim and it seem fine now.. no fluctuation like before.. and not all micro sims in the last year are LTE compatible.. they just started making AT&T LTE micro sims for the lumia 900 and the one X.. the layout on the contact area of the sim is different than the old iphone hspa,hspa+ sim...

Further, if LTE isn't in your plan settings, every sim they burn for you will not have LTE.

AT&T has removed all discretion on sim burning from the local stores or re-sellers. Its all done according to the plan settings now, and most of the techs can't force things onto sim without messing with the plan settings.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Interesting... I don't have a micro SIM that is labeled 4G? They just gave me the same damn SIM as the one in my iPhone 4S. I'm in a strong AT&T LTE coverage area, Chicago. I may need to go back to AT&T.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
For the record, i do not believe the layout of the contacts is any different, because there is nothing on the sim other than a little bit of data, and the amount for lte is the same as for 3G.

Sims are not magic people. They simply contain a small amount of encrypted data.

A micro sim is s micro sim.

Hshure

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

I am having the same exact issue as you described in the original post. It's driving me nuts. People can't hear me and places where I had great connection now is all choppy and I can barely have a conversation with people. I just switched from the Galaxy Note to the HTC One X on Sunday. With the Note the signal was amazing. Best call quality and signal I have ever had (previsouly owning the 4S, Note, and now One X).

Are you still getting good connections on the replacement phone? Maybe I need to get a new one.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
For the record, i do not believe the layout of the contacts is any different, because there is nothing on the sim other than a little bit of data, and the amount for lte is the same as for 3G.

Sims are not magic people. They simply contain a small amount of encrypted data.

A micro sim is s micro sim.

bull .. if the sim wasnt made to be LTE compatable your not going to get LTE , i'e' using a iphone sim.. AT&T wouldnt have wasted money to change the sim when the lumia and one x came out

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting... I don't have a micro SIM that is labeled 4G? They just gave me the same damn SIM as the one in my iPhone 4S. I'm in a strong AT&T LTE coverage area, Chicago. I may need to go back to AT&T.

are you getting LTE on your phone? the LTE micro sims have green on them incase anyone is wondering