new ics leak

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Same here...LOL!

root is not required.

It will wipe your data, and, you will need to go through the set up process - though, one bonus would be that you could decline importing contacts from your SIM - I clicked through too quickly.

Reactions: TBolt

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
root is not required.

It will wipe your data, and, you will need to go through the set up process - though, one bonus would be that you could decline importing contacts from your SIM - I clicked through too quickly.

Would it still require crazy procedures to flash the final OTA? I do assume this requires to phone to somehow be unlocked...and what does this mean for the s-on/s-off story? (kinda worried about that in case I ever need to return my phone, and not a fan of considering that wire trick)

Last edited:

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing i found was, if your running stock and had the last leak, if you tried to use the check for update feature, it would crash, that has been fixed in the new leak

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
root is not required.

I know, but I read that if the OTA is a lesser number than the leak you will have to jump through hoops to get the OTA.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Would it still require crazy procedures to flash the final OTA? I do assume this requires to phone to somehow be unlocked...and what does this mean for the s-on/s-off story? (kinda worried about that in case I ever need to return my phone, and not a fan of considering that wire trick)

Right now, no one knows. If the update has higher rev numbers than the leak, it should be fairly simple. If the rev number is lower, than, there will be issues. For all, we know, this might be the OTA build, and, you could skip the OTA.

I would not worry about needing S-off. I think over on XDA, they found a way to got back to GB, so, down reving is possible.I may need to flash the OTA (when it is available) like I did the ics leaks, but, since, I am already running the previous leak, I took this update hoping it would fix the battery drain problem. And, right now, I think it is looking pretty good.

The OTA may be 5 days away, so, waiting is not too bad of an option.

Last edited:

jwalker007

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be a little more problematic than the last leak. I noticed today that when I hook it up to the computer in Disk mode and the disconnect. It takes awhile for the downloaded apps to redraw from the android icon to there own icon. Also, ran a quadrant test and it is a lot lower by about a thousand compared to the last leak. Strange.

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
So those that jumped on this... How is it? Compared to stock? Compared to last leak? With custom roms?

Compared to stock - I like it a lot better. Mostly because Sense has been updated to be more usable. I love having a normal dockbar with swappable apps. Also, disabling bloatware is awesome.

Compared to the last leak - I have noticed several bug fixes.
1. Full bluetooth functionality has been restored.
2. Setting a custom wallpaper for the lockscreen now works properly.
3. When booting up it no longer optimizes every app on my phone, so boot up time is normal instead of really long.

Compared to custom ROMS - I haven't rooted so I can't weigh in on that.

Bottom line - it's solid. I'm enjoying it a lot. If the OTA comes out and it turns out that I can't get it because I updated to this leak, then I might regret it. Barring that, I'm happy.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Compared to stock - I like it a lot better. Mostly because Sense has been updated to be more usable. I love having a normal dockbar with swappable apps. Also, disabling bloatware is awesome.

Compared to the last leak - I have noticed several bug fixes.
1. Full bluetooth functionality has been restored.
2. Setting a custom wallpaper for the lockscreen now works properly.
3. When booting up it no longer optimizes every app on my phone, so boot up time is normal instead of really long.

Compared to custom ROMS - I haven't rooted so I can't weigh in on that.

Bottom line - it's solid. I'm enjoying it a lot. If the OTA comes out and it turns out that I can't get it because I updated to this leak, then I might regret it. Barring that, I'm happy.

I am in agreement with Vito. This last update (to me) seems very solid.

I did try to re-produce the issue jwalker has, and, I can confirm that disconnecting the usb does seem to take longer, but, the easy workaround is to toggle the usb drive, so, I do not find it much of an issue. Also, quadrant as a bench mark is questionable - I had some great numbers and some so-so numbers from quadrant, all running the tests a couple of minutes a part.

If the rumors are correct, the OTA is a couple of days away.

silvra7

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Question, it seems that all these leaks are Sense 3.6 which to me doesn't make too much (no pun intended) sense with the hardware being close enough to the phones coming out with Sense 4.0. That being said, what are the differences between 3.5 and 3.6? I know that my incredible never got an update to Sense, but I just don't see why we'd get an intermediate version when 4 was designed for ICS.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure how it will be with HTC but with the Sammy updates, if you froze out all the crapware you couldn't get the OTA anyway....

That's usually the case with HTC on Verizon. Though for the last OTA, the minor update one back in like February, it tried to run despite me having all the bloatware removed and running a custom ROM. Whatever that update was big V must have thought it was REAL IMPORTANT i.e. it was probably an update to Teeter or Let's Golf 3 or something equally useless.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That's usually the case with HTC on Verizon. Though for the last OTA, the minor update one back in like February, it tried to run despite me having all the bloatware removed and running a custom ROM. Whatever that update was big V must have thought it was REAL IMPORTANT i.e. it was probably an update to Teeter or Let's Golf 3 or something equally useless.

was the update a success? On my old phones, it would always try, just fail everytime

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
was the update a success? On my old phones, it would always try, just fail everytime

Nope never went through but just the fact that every morning it kept downloading the update even though my phone was missing all the crapware was something new. Usually it just skips over those without it. I even renamed the OTAcert and it still kept downloading.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am surprise it survived the renaming....i would be interested in seeing what will happen between this leak and the actual OTA, but I am switching ROMs as we speak...