-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

CSS Hunley

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting terrible battery life. When my screen is on, the battery drops like a rock and the phone temperature skyrockets. My brightness is only at 40 percent, even at the lowest setting it does this so it doesn't make sense. Standby seems ok though.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40948792/2012-11-28 22.47.26.png
I was only able to get 1.6 hrs on screen time that day, which is what I've been getting. My s3 never had this issue so I'm assuming it must be an issue with this unit.

Freshly_Snipes

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
In Anandtech testing the N4 had very poor battery life. The iphone 5 did much better.

AnandTech - Google Nexus 4 Review - Google's new Flagship

I get almost 8-9 hours of screen time on my iphone 5 and 22-29 hours between charges

Dude, they had a not yet finished test device. Chill. Anandtech had been wrong or given misinformation many times. They're not the end all be all. The battery is fine on this device. Usage determines life of the cell.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting terrible battery life. When my screen is on, the battery drops like a rock and the phone temperature skyrockets. My brightness is only at 40 percent, even at the lowest setting it does this so it doesn't make sense. Standby seems ok though.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40948792/2012-11-28 22.47.26.png
I was only able to get 1.6 hrs on screen time that day, which is what I've been getting. My s3 never had this issue so I'm assuming it must be an issue with this unit.

Dude reduce the screen brightness to about 10. That's what does the trick. And do you have GPS on?

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
turning off NFC has helped for me....I can turn on if and when I need it

As long as I can get through a day, I'm good...charge at home and charge in the car...real simple (my experience of course)

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I was getting so-so battery since I had the phone (almost 2 weeks now), but I've turned off "Location reporting" and "enable location sharing" in google maps and now my battery life seems much better. If those features aren't that important to you I suggest turning them off.

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My battery life had been improving but yesterday and last night it dropped like a rock. I noticed Mediaserver was consuming 50% battery! I had not listened to music or watched any video. Anyone know where that is coming from? I did play a few games but not really that long--and their effect on battery is listed separately.

Michael

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-30-07-28-09.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-30-07-28-09.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 38

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see a screen shot of 8-9 hours of screen on time. because I call bs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Here is one of many where I used my iPhone 5 strictly to read the web, text message, and read my email. That is what usage reflects in this screen shot. Stand by time is the time between charges.

2ahynedy.jpg

In the one below, I had my sleep machine on during the night generating white noise in addition to the above throughout the day

vu2u4eda.jpg

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Dude, they had a not yet finished test device. Chill. Anandtech had been wrong or given misinformation many times. They're not the end all be all. The battery is fine on this device. Usage determines life of the cell.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The link is to the final testing that they did. Read the long ass article. They explain what happened during testing. The poor battery life that anandtech experienced is in line with what others are posting in this thread.

Cube1701

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a standard work day usage for me:

screenshot_2012-11-30-01-10-34.png

Some things
- Music to and from work (60 minutes both ways) with app usage/internet browsing on the bus part of the journey (40 minutes of the previous 60 minutes).
- Signal variation from high to none during this journey.
- Occasional use during home and work.
- All apps (Google ones, Twitter, Falcon Pro, a couple more) set to default sync times. Apps like Facebook messenger on.
- WiFi on all day, even though it's only in use when at home.
- I haven't bothered to turn NFC off.
- Screen brightness at 100%.

All I wanted with the battery is a phone that would last me a day before charging overnight, so I'm fine with the battery and I have a but of leeway if I turn WiFi/NFC off and stuff like brightness.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is one of many where I used my iPhone 5 strictly to read the web, text message, and read my email. That is what usage reflects in this screen shot. Stand by time is the time between charges.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/2ahynedy.jpg

In the one below, I had my sleep machine on during the night generating white noise in addition to the above throughout the day

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/vu2u4eda.jpg

That's insane . Definitely getting the iPhone if my battery doesn't improve haha did you have one of those battery pack cases on it ?

Last edited:

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a standard work day usage for me:

http://djcube.co.uk/images/random/screenshot_2012-11-30-01-10-34.png

Some things
- Music to and from work (60 minutes both ways) with app usage/internet browsing on the bus part of the journey (40 minutes of the previous 60 minutes).
- Signal variation from high to none during this journey.
- Occasional use during home and work.
- All apps (Google ones, Twitter, Falcon Pro, a couple more) set to default sync times. Apps like Facebook messenger on.
- WiFi on all day, even though it's only in use when at home.
- I haven't bothered to turn NFC off.
- Screen brightness at 100%.

All I wanted with the battery is a phone that would last me a day before charging overnight, so I'm fine with the battery and I have a but of leeway if I turn WiFi/NFC off and stuff like brightness.

This is amazing

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been able to get a day and a half which is more than enough with normal use, some web browsing, and streaming music for ~2 hours in a day.

I use Automatic Brightness, WiFi off. It amazes me that I'm satisfied with the dim display and then when I turn the brightness to max, I'm like woah.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am really disappointed in the battery life. My GSM galaxy nexus had fantastic battery life- i'd use off and on all day, probably moderate usage, with all background syncing, location reporting, etc. fully enabled, and it would still be in the 50-60% by the time I got home. I want to be able to use the features of the phone and my google services, so I shouldn't have to turn everything off! My Nexus 4 is a fantastic device, except for the battery! For comparison, today, after only a half day of similar usage as above, it was down to 50%!!
I feel like it's the Evo 4G all over again!

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am really disappointed in the battery life. My GSM galaxy nexus had fantastic battery life- i'd use off and on all day, probably moderate usage, with all background syncing, location reporting, etc. fully enabled, and it would still be in the 50-60% by the time I got home. I want to be able to use the features of the phone and my google services, so I shouldn't have to turn everything off! My Nexus 4 is a fantastic device, except for the battery! For comparison, today, after only a half day of similar usage as above, it was down to 50%!!

EXACTLY. It's so stupid because I bought the phone for all of these great features but what's the point if you have to turn them all off! I feel like the phone should get the great battery life right out of the box. When you turn it on for the first time you shouldn't have to change or turn anything off. I love my Nexus 4, but just like you said, the battery sucks haha

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Get the Note 2 lol,

I'm getting 6 hours of screen on time!

Just so you know, I returned my Nexus 4 to Google because of the battery life and lackluster cam.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If anybody on here has ever used other android devices before then they would know what to expect for battery life. Its no surprise to most of us because the nexus 4 has average battery life. Idk where u got the idea that just because its. A new phone it is going to have some kind of super amazing battery technology and have super awesome battery life. Its average battery life there is nothing in this phone that should make u think otherwise. Do some research before just getting the phone and saying it has crap battery life. If battery life is ur biggest concern then get a razr maxx or a phone with removable battery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This is funny, because when I had an Evo 4G I thought its battery life was pretty respectable. Not great, but easily able to get me through a day with room to spare and I could never understand why people whined about it so much. To hear that the N4 has as good or better battery life makes me happy.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
EXACTLY. It's so stupid because I bought the phone for all of these great features but what's the point if you have to turn them all off! I feel like the phone should get the great battery life right out of the box. When you turn it on for the first time you shouldn't have to change or turn anything off. I love my Nexus 4, but just like you said, the battery sucks haha

Has it ever occured to you that it might be a lemon. Mine hasn't arrive yet, ordered 11/27. IDK about QC @ LG. Don't think every phone is tested before it gets boxed. I hope I'm wrong.

Giuseppe Milo

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
turn off location tracking... it will improve your battery life... the only thing i can't understand is why battery drain when there is very low signal look at my screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-01-03-31-11-1898365374.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-01-03-31-11-1898365374.png
    116 KB · Views: 33

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hapily02