ordered a t mobile moto x (I'm on att) - put my mind at ease?

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey Phos - Thanks! Tried to send you a PM on this, but not sure it went through. So I'll ask here - last thing.

So I bring my Note to ATT, say I need a nano SIM for my X & give them my Note's IMEI to apply to the SIM - Do I tell them I'm trying to activate a T Mobile phone? Does it matter?

After the X is up and running and I know it's getting updates etc. I'll likely sell my Note in the future. Now I'm sure this question seems very simple, but I've never done this before - so, has my Note IMEI been transferred from to my X? Does my Note IMEI need to be reset before I sell it? Are there any additional steps I need to take?

I appreciate all the help - thanks so much.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It seems to not matter, but I honestly don't know. They used my AT&T SGS3's IMEI, which I sold long ago (so for all I know, someone else is using it on AT&T's network).

IMEI's are device-specific. They don't "move" with you. AT&T is only entering the phone's IMEI into their system for the purpose of telling the system what sort of phone the SIM card is for. When they do that, they will be able to activate the new SIM on your account, which you can then put into your moto x. The moto x will report it's own IMEI to the network at that point and their system will know to allow it LTE data access, so the Note 3's IMEI won't matter anymore.

You can tell them that the Moto X is an unlocked T-mobile phone, they don't care. Just tell them to use the Note 3's IMEI to provision the SIM card, because their system won't recognize the T-mobile Moto X properly. ;)

fishweb

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I have Tmo and Att I have a Sim card that came from an Iphone 5 which is a nano Sim I put it in my T-Mobile moto maker moto x I got from cyber Monday and it just worked. No configuration was required. Same with my Tmo nano Sim.

stevet48

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If you have a micro SIM already you can cut it down to size to work as a nano SIM. This would allow you to keep your current SIM and not deal with the reprovisioning to a nano SIM in the store. I did that with a Tmobile SIM I'm testing with and it fits fine in the Moto X.

The other option is to buy a nano SIM to micro SIM adapter. Then take your existing phone into AT&T and ask to switch to a nano SIM for your existing phone. Get the nano SIM provisioned with your existing phone with the nano SIM in the adapter. Once the Moto X is delivered just move the existing nano SIM over.

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
If you have a micro SIM already you can cut it down to size to work as a nano SIM. This would allow you to keep your current SIM and not deal with the reprovisioning to a nano SIM in the store. I did that with a Tmobile SIM I'm testing with and it fits fine in the Moto X.

The other option is to buy a nano SIM to micro SIM adapter. Then take your existing phone into AT&T and ask to switch to a nano SIM for your existing phone. Get the nano SIM provisioned with your existing phone with the nano SIM in the adapter. Once the Moto X is delivered just move the existing nano SIM over.

Hey Steve - I actually have a sim cutter arriving today to cut mine to a nano - did you have to sand it down to fit the X?

Alternately, yeah, I wonder of att would just give me a nano sim for my current phone?

Posted via Android Central App

stevet48

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
When cutting the SIM, I used an existing Nano SIM as a template and cut it with scissors. I made the cuts as straight as possible. I didn't sand down or smooth the edges. Since the cut SIM is used mostly for testing not a long term use, I was comfortable with the fit in the Moto X. If I were to need it long term, I'd think it would be better to get the Nano SIM from AT&T.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
OK, so my wife received her T-Mobile Moto X yesterday, and as of last night I can answer your questions based on first hand experience. Here's what I did:

1. Remove current Net10 AT&T SIM card from current Nexus 4.
  2. Cut Net10 SIM card from micro to nano with a cutter.
  3. Remove T-Mobile SIM card from Moto X.
  4. Insert Net10 SIM card in Moto X.
  5. Power up.
  6. Set APN to the correct settings.
  7. Enjoy LTE service.
It really is that simple. I ran a couple speed tests and got about 17Mbps down and 5Mbps up. And I live out in the country. My wife usually doesn't care too much about the specifics of her phone, as long as it works. But last night she was pretty excited about it!

Do I tell them I'm trying to activate a T Mobile phone? Does it matter?

Technically you're not trying to activate a T-Mobile phone. That version of Moto X is in no way, shape, or form T-Mobile. It is completely unlocked and unbranded. It's just the version that T-Mobile uses. The only way you'd have any clue it has anything to do with T-Mobile is that it comes with a T-Mobile SIM card installed.

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey Steve - I actually have a sim cutter arriving today to cut mine to a nano - did you have to sand it down to fit the X?

Alternately, yeah, I wonder of att would just give me a nano sim for my current phone?

Have you tried going to the store and getting the right sim? im wondering what information they would need in order to convert it.

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Haven't yet - still awaiting the X's arrival.

And yeah, getting a nano from Att might be easier than cutting up my current one. We'll see...

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
You should only need to mess with the APNs to be sure you've got the right ones. But that's easy. The T-Mobile Moto X is basically just the unlocked one (no t-mobile branding at all).

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You should only need to mess with the APNs to be sure you've got the right ones. But that's easy. The T-Mobile Moto X is basically just the unlocked one (no t-mobile branding at all).

Tmobile X on att post paid already has apn correct. Should be fine by default. If you are on mvno you might have to edit.