OTA sideload question

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: No update yet

People who don't want to sideload or flash need to learn to be a bit more patient is all. I have the OTA to sidelaod waiting on my computer in case I get annoyed by Verizon holding the OTA back. For me it's a comfort thing. I just feel more comfortable knowing that I got the OTA directly and the dowloaded file wasn't tampered with. I can get nervous like that.

The only problem I have with 5.1.1 is the extra battery drain, which I get around by turning location off when I'm not using it. It's slightly inconvenient, but I can deal with it.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Had a new Nexus 6 delivered yesterday.
Running 5.0 LNX07M. [may it rot in hades]
Got tired of jumping through hoops trying to install Project Fi app.
Flashed my phone using Wugfresh NRT to Marshmallow just now.
Phone was for my wife but now...guess it's mine.
everything seems to be running.
Just a heads up for those interested.

EDIT: just found this; wish I had seen it before.
[REF] Nexus 6 Stock OTA URLs | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

Last edited:

Stevieboi

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

You have Nexus and you guys are waiting on updates?? Not being a [language removed by mod], but why buy a Nexus and wait? I am honestly curious.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Because not EVERYONE has access to a computer. I don't, I use my phone for everything, and besides, it's the PRINCIPLE of the matter. Some of us like having a pure undiluted Android experience, mm'kay?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I don't flash updates for the principle, but also because of all the posts that start, "I bricked my phone and need help". I don't want to spend the weekend getting my phone back in order when I have a Nexus for gosh sakes.

I'm really getting fluffy over how long this is taking. At this rate, I'll have my 6P and never see how my Nexus 6 ran on Marshmallow.

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

We have 5 Nexus 6's in our family. My one son's updated in days of the announcement. Mine and my wife's updated to the Stagefright fix but not Marshmallow so I sideloaded. My other two son's aren't using their phones yet but I turned them on to allow them to download updates. After two days of sitting on 5.1 I got impatient and downloaded the OTA updates for their phones. I had to download and install 4 OTAs just to get to the point I could do the Marshmallow OTA. I didn't do the Marshmallow full install directly because I couldn't get that to work, but could get the OTA installs to work. It was a HUGE PITA and I get why people don't want to do it. The Window drivers were a nightmare. I ended up doing the updates on a Mac, which still required unplugging and replugging in the phone between reboots.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I see the appeal of an OTA, not having to re-install and re-configure everything, but believe me, it's worth it to flash to 6.0, especially if you're on T-Mobile or Project Fi. Frankly, given how cheap a Nexus 6 is these days ($310 at Expansys), just go buy a second one, flash it, spend a day or two installing and configuring your stuff, then move your SIM over and sell the old one for somewhere north of $250 (after flashing that one to 6.0 too, as a value-add).

Besides, the carriers control the Nexus 6 OTAs based on what SIM you've got. They demanded that power in exchange for offering the device directly.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I finally had a couple of hours and was bored so I sideloaded the OTA via ADB. It's running like a champ so far.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Is it odd that my new Nexus 6 is still stuck on 5.1? I was expecting it to have 5.1.1 out of the box, and I have no updates available yet. Will I get an update straight to 6.0 eventually, or should I expect it to push an update for 5.1.1 first, then 6.0?

mbarney35

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
After getting frustrated with waiting on Verizon to push the update I decided to sideload using the instruction from the original post. I'm not computer illiterate by any means, but I don't have a lot of experience with cmd or adb. The process was actually very easy, just take your time and pay attention to what your doing and everything should go well.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
After getting frustrated with waiting on Verizon to push the update I decided to sideload using the instruction from the original post. I'm not computer illiterate by any means, but I don't have a lot of experience with cmd or adb. The process was actually very easy, just take your time and pay attention to what your doing and everything should go well.

Yup. Especially with the 15 second ADB driver install package that works on Windows 8.1/10 the older headaches regarding setting up drivers are almost non-existent. As good as Wugfresh is (and it's an amazing bit of software) if you're just sideloading an OTA it's probably faster to just use ADB and pay attention to the instructions.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Factory images are your friend, especially when it's newly purchased and there's no personal stuff to lose on it.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 6 will never receive ota updates. Google messed up by selling through carriers and screwed us all.

Galaxy nexus was verizon exclusive and never got an ota update and neither will we. Accept your fate and learn to live with the disappointment.
I have a Nexus 6 that I purchased on Sprint Easy Pay, and I received, and took the OTA to 6.0.

Sprint may have many problems, but they seem to do well with pushing out updates.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
When I went to go into recovery mode it said "no command". I hit the power button again and it rebooted into 5.1.1. :-( Does anybody know why?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
When I went to go into recovery mode it said "no command". I hit the power button again and it rebooted into 5.1.1. :-( Does anybody know why?

You have to hit power and volume up at the same time. Then it gives you a list to select from (in very tiny font).

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
You have to hit power and volume up at the same time. Then it gives you a list to select from (in very tiny font).

When I do that it boots up, but if I hit power and volume down I get the option to boot into recovery mode.

I wonder if I have to have Enable OEM unlocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali