OTA sideload question

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
When I do that it boots up, but if I hit power and volume down I get the option to boot into recovery mode.

I wonder if I have to have Enable OEM unlocking.

I'm sure you don't have to enable OEM unlocking to sideload an OTA - I just did it last night. Starting from the beginning (in case I've misunderstood where you are having problems):

You should be holding down power and both up and down volume to enter recovery (alternatively you can use the "adb reboot recovery" command if it's connected to the computer). From there you use the volume controls to select the "Recovery" option, and then you should see the little android with a red exclamation mark. From there you hit "power" and "volume" simultaneously to bring up the menu of choices in tiny font, and choose "apply update from adb". You should see little yellow text towards the bottom that saying it's waiting for a command. Then (if you aren't already) plug your phone in to the usb cord and use the "adb sideload YourFileName.zip" command. That should be it - if nothing happens, it may be that your device's driver ID when in recovery isn't set correctly (this happened to me - you can confirm while using the "adb devices" command while the phone is still in recovery mode).

If that's the case (i.e. your device isn't recognized) you need to follow these instructions:

uploadfromtaptalk1426235751483.jpg

You don't even have to reboot, just make sure the device is being recognized afterward ("adb devices") and then retype your "adb sideload ...." command. It takes a while to verify and install the file, but it should all run by itself at that point.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: No update yet

I finally got around to sideloading 6.0 on my old Nexus 6 I'm giving my dad. I forgot how easy it was. Great so far, btw

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Can you help with instructions?

Posted via the Android Central App

Sure!

I've seen other sets of directions at this website and elsewhere, but Droid Life was the most clear to me.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Sure!

I've seen other sets of directions at this website and elsewhere, but Droid Life was the most clear to me.

Thank you. Is that for Windows or can I use it on Mac?

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Works for both. You either use command prompt (Windows), of terminal (Mac.). I ended up having to use a Mac after Windows drivers issues.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I have an unlocked N6 and currently on VZW and still have not received the Marshmallow OTA...anyone else in the same boat?

1st world problems........ what a [language removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure you don't have to enable OEM unlocking to sideload an OTA - I just did it last night. Starting from the beginning (in case I've misunderstood where you are having problems):

You should be holding down power and both up and down volume to enter recovery (alternatively you can use the "adb reboot recovery" command if it's connected to the computer). From there you use the volume controls to select the "Recovery" option, and then you should see the little android with a red exclamation mark. From there you hit "power" and "volume" simultaneously to bring up the menu of choices in tiny font, and choose "apply update from adb". You should see little yellow text towards the bottom that saying it's waiting for a command. Then (if you aren't already) plug your phone in to the usb cord and use the "adb sideload YourFileName.zip" command. That should be it - if nothing happens, it may be that your device's driver ID when in recovery isn't set correctly (this happened to me - you can confirm while using the "adb devices" command while the phone is still in recovery mode).

If that's the case (i.e. your device isn't recognized) you need to follow these instructions:

View attachment 204119

You don't even have to reboot, just make sure the device is being recognized afterward ("adb devices") and then retype your "adb sideload ...." command. It takes a while to verify and install the file, but it should all run by itself at that point.

Thanks, this was was what I needed. The article didn't explain how to connect very well. Also, my device wasn't shown when I connected and checked using adb devices. Since I used the 15 Second ADB Installer, which clearly didn't do the trick, which means I probably have to install the drivers, etc... via Android SDK. That's a bit more involved and feels a bit over my head right now. I'm going to walk away and clear my head, then maybe give it another shot.

Thanks for your help and hopefully this will help anybody else having the same issue.And at least I now know how to boot into recovery.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Since I used the 15 Second ADB Installer, which clearly didn't do the trick, which means I probably have to install the drivers, etc... via Android SDK. That's a bit more involved and feels a bit over my head right now. I'm going to walk away and clear my head, then maybe give it another shot.

First of all, I absolutely support taking a breather if you are getting stressed out. I can remember the first few times I messed with a mobile device and being terrified, and frankly it's just not worth it if you aren't having fun. In case you do try again, let me add a couple of other bits of info:

1) Make sure you enabled USB debugging on your device (you have to enable developer options and then check under them). It's an easy step, but also easy to miss if you are concentrating on the hard stuff.

2) Also, when you first plug your device in and it gets recognized (while it's on) you usually have to tell the phone that it's OK to allow debugging, so check your phone after you plug it in.

3) If you've done that and your device still doesn't show up then you do indeed have a driver issue, but that doesn't mean you have to fiddle with the whole SDK, it just means you need to remove older ADB drivers that are causing a conflict. Just head into the control panel and uninstall them, remembering to reboot after you uninstall the driver. Then give the 15 second ADB installer another go.

Not that I'm discouraging anyone from getting to know the Android SDK, but it's not necessary to sideload an OTA to your device. Anyhow, good luck if you decide to give it another go, and be sure to enjoy your device either way!

pjmacklin

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site

new to the android/nexus realm. purchased an unlocked device via ebay. received it just over 2 weeks ago. arrived with android 5.0 installed and 5.1.1 update (LVY48H) was immediately available. was not anxious to flash or sideload android 6. tried the reset/remove sim method discussed in these forums. long story short, got android 6 (MRA58K) OTA on the second try.

Stevieboi

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

I have an unlocked N6 and currently on VZW and still have not received the Marshmallow OTA...anyone else in the same boat?

Yup. AT&T Nexus 6, build #LMY48W. This is a monumental pain in my azz.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

new to the android/nexus realm. purchased an unlocked device via ebay. received it just over 2 weeks ago. arrived with android 5.0 installed and 5.1.1 update (LVY48H) was immediately available. was not anxious to flash or sideload android 6. tried the reset/remove sim method discussed in these forums. long story short, got android 6 (MRA58K) OTA on the second try.

I reset it but no update... You actually took Sim out?

Trophlin

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

I posted this in the OS section but figured I would paste it here since some people might not see it there:
My suspicion of bug fixes for a new build number looks to be coming to fruition for the Nexus 6. Google just released the new factory images for monthly security updates and Lollipop is the only build being updated. The Marshmallow build for the Nexus 6 is the only device that isn't being updated with a security patch. I'm guessing it will be close to a month before the Marshmallow OTA is pushed. So to all of the people that see an OTA on your Nexus 6 you will proably be let down yet again.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Nexus 6 will never receive ota updates. Google messed up by selling through carriers and screwed us all.

Galaxy nexus was verizon exclusive and never got an ota update and neither will we. Accept your fate and learn to live with the disappointment.

My Gnex came with ICS. It updated, through Verizon OTA, to JB.

You're poorly informed. Try not to let others realize this.

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Does any one know if there is an ota for 6.0 for the T-Mobile LYZ28N build

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz