Pixel communication with iOS

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
What? How lol the guys above convinced me otherwise. What pixel do you have? Which iPhones do they have if you know?

Pixel 2, 5, 5a, and 6. I din't know which iPhones they have.

We use either Signal or Wickr, so I don't know about other texting apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2, 5, 5a, and 6. I din't know which iPhones they have.

We use either Signal or Wickr, so I don't know about other texting apps.

That's the reason why the videos come through fine -- everyone's using a 3rd party messaging platform that's separate from iMessage or SMS/MMS. If they tried sending those videos via iMessage to your phone number, they'd look terrible.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
That's the reason why the videos come through fine -- everyone's using a 3rd party messaging platform that's separate from iMessage or SMS/MMS. If they tried sending those videos via iMessage to your phone number, they'd look terrible.

I guess that poses the obvious question "Why do you use something which doesn't work, and then complain about it?"

Not trying to be nasty, just curious.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess that poses the obvious question "Why do you use something which doesn't work, and then complain about it?"

Not trying to be nasty, just curious.

The challenge is getting people with iPhones to use a 3rd party messaging platform. Most people I know with iPhones just want to stick with iMessage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's unfortunate for you, and I wish I had a solution.

Perhaps you need new friends.

I wasn't complaining about anything here -- I'm just explaining the situation that others have found themselves in. Consider yourself lucky that you know people who are willing to use 3rd party messaging platforms.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't complaining about anything here -- I'm just explaining the situation that others have found themselves in. Consider yourself lucky that you know people who are willing to use 3rd party messaging platforms.

Well I must admit I badger them into it. I have friends who are real troglodytes, and refuse to own a smartphone or text. They do email only, and I haven't even thought of suggesting Proton Mail for fear of shattering their psyches.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The challenge is getting people with iPhones to use a 3rd party messaging platform. Most people I know with iPhones just want to stick with iMessage.
iMessage is only used when communicating with another person that's using an Apple device that has it enabled. Whenever they are messaging someone not with iMessage they are communicating through sms/mms hence the green bubble. Apple is too closed a system to allow a 3rd party messaging app. Can't blame them as this is what keeps a bulk of people using iPhone. If iMessage didn't exist and everyone had RCS I'd imagine a 3rd if not more of people wouldn't be so loyal to Apple.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
iMessage is only used when communicating with another person that's using an Apple device that has it enabled. Whenever they are messaging someone not with iMessage they are communicating through sms/mms hence the green bubble. Apple is too closed a system to allow a 3rd party messaging app. Can't blame them as this is what keeps a bulk of people using iPhone. If iMessage didn't exist and everyone had RCS I'd imagine a 3rd if not more of people wouldn't be so loyal to Apple.

Yep, that's what I've been talking about. Most iPhone users just know iMessage, and assume that anything they send to anyone will go through as they expect. They often don't know the difference between an actual iMessage message and an SMS/MMS message. That convenience will make them less likely to bother installing a 3rd party messaging platform to send videos to a non-iPhone device.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Damn it. One thing I don’t want to do is complicate such a simple thing by downloading other apps or creating links. Ugh. iPhone forever I guess.

Sounds like Apple has you locked into their "Walled Garden" pretty solidly :eek: That's their endgame... and unfortunately for the consumer they're very good at it.

PixelKing

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
No issues with my aftermarket Bluetooth adapter installed in my truck in 2018..No issues with my Sony XM4 ear buds while working out at Gold's Gym during peak hours either.

Verizon service has slowed down over the years. But I do think it depends on where you live too.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like Apple has you locked into their "Walled Garden" pretty solidly :eek: That's their endgame... and unfortunately for the consumer they're very good at it.

Well yeah no body wants to make such an easy task of opening the camera, snapping a pic then hitting the send button to a friend. That’s like Asking someone to use a portable CD player in their car when they already have one in their car

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Apple seems very insistent on making as few things as possible work cross-platform.

Perhaps it is Steve Jobs' legacy hatred of all things Android, I have no idea, but at this point it is very unfortunate.

Not everyone enjoys being a geek, or even wants to be a geek, they just want it to work, to steal Apple's favorite phrase.

The locked-in "Walled Garden" is another subject, which I shouldn't get started on.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple seems very insistent on making as few things as possible work cross-platform.

Perhaps it is Steve Jobs' legacy hatred of all things Android, I have no idea, but at this point it is very unfortunate.

Not everyone enjoys being a geek, or even wants to be a geek, they just want it to work, to steal Apple's favorite phrase.

The locked-in "Walled Garden" is another subject, which I shouldn't get started on.
That's probably the most accurate statement. It seems to be Apple that wants to make things complex, but it's also a business and Apple knows that better than anyone. I remember years ago when they first started saying that Apple would introduce iMessage for Android. I thought to myself that there is no way that will happen as Apple will lose major revenue. They could also do like Samsung does with link share, but they won't happen either seeing that Apple doesn't care about the convenience for non Apple users.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
That's probably the most accurate statement. It seems to be Apple that wants to make things complex, but it's also a business and Apple knows that better than anyone. I remember years ago when they first started saying that Apple would introduce iMessage for Android. I thought to myself that there is no way that will happen as Apple will lose major revenue. They could also do like Samsung does with link share, but they won't happen either seeing that Apple doesn't care about the convenience for non Apple users.

I just find it funny that iPhone users blame Android and Android users when they can't share quality videos from/to iMessage when it's due to Apple's decisions.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Everyone in my family uses iPhones except me. My son uses whatsapp to send me multimedia. My wife does not like to install apps on her phone and refuses to install whatsapp so she emails me large photos.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomasgabel