Solved Planning to get a new cellphone

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I'm hoping I can get for some advice.

1. Unfortunately, price is a consideration right now. I'd like to stay below $300.00, maybe $350.00

2. The phone should be able to work on the Consumer Cellular network

3. I'd like the phone to have a MicroSD slot

4. If I consider an iPhone, will I be able to use these formats:
.apk, .aax, .aa, .avi, .vlc, .mp4, .mkv, .mp3, .txt, .doc, .pdf & .jpg

5. Using my old Android phone, I would connect it to my Windows computer via USB & was able to navigate the phone's file structure the same way I navigate the Windows file structure.
Is it just as simple when using an iPhone?

6. I won't be getting the most updated phone, but I do want 1 that gets timely software updates from its manufacturer.
I had a Motorola phone before & their software update schedule is almost non-existent.

7. I want a phone that I can disable or delete any built-in apps. That's 1 thing I did like about my old Motorola phone.

8. I don't care to have or use anything AI!

I've been looking at phones from OnePlus, Blu, Blackview, Samsung & took a glance at some Pixel phones.
But my head hurts! 😵‍💫🤪

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy A35 5G might be your best bet, if you're looking for something new. It's on the upper end of your price range, has an SD slot, and is from Samsung, which means it'll get decent update support. Samsung has also gotten better about letting the user uninstall or disable preinstalled Samsung apps, but some of those apps are considered core apps that can't be uninstalled or disabled.

Lenovo/Moto has traditionally been dismal with updates. OnePlus has been ok, but you'd be looking at one of the Nord line, given your price range -- if you do, make sure it's not an Android Go device, which will be significantly hobbled by the barebones version of Android.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy A35 5G might be your best bet, if you're looking for something new. It's on the upper end of your price range, has an SD slot, and is from Samsung, which means it'll get decent update support. Samsung has also gotten better about letting the user uninstall or disable preinstalled Samsung apps, but some of those apps are considered core apps that can't be uninstalled or disabled.

Lenovo/Moto has traditionally been dismal with updates. OnePlus has been ok, but you'd be looking at one of the Nord line, given your price range -- if you do, make sure it's not an Android Go device, which will be significantly hobbled by the barebones version of Android.
Or the Samsung Galaxy A54 5G, as well? It has a shared microSD / SIM slot.

Currently $351 @ amazon . . though can be found at lower $'s; we purchased one for $330, for a fam member.

Last edited:

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the replies & suggestions everyone.

After a few days of going over specs, videos & reviews of various phones on various websites 😵‍💫🤪,
I've narrowed it down to the Samsung A35, Samsung A54 & Pixel 7a.
As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Samsung A35.

Forgot to mention, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 13 Pro is being considered as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: B. Diddy

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I have a question concerning the Samsung A35.

I've looked on Amazon & eBay (just for price comparisons) & the Awesome Iceblue color always mentions Latin in the heading, w/o any other context.
Does this mean it won't work here in the U.S.?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I'll ask in the listing I'm looking at & call Consumer Cellular tomorrow (I wish they had a customer service email address).
I need to make sure the phone will work in the US on Consumer Cellular.
I know Consumer Cellular does sell the A35, but not in Awesome Iceblue & the Latin wording may be a problem.

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I get mixed information concerning the Latin Band wording for the Samsung A35 in Awesome IceBlue, but Consumer Cellular solved the query for me.

Right now they have the Samsung A35 for only $299.00. It's only in Awesome Blue, but it's cheaper & that's more important right now.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I get mixed information concerning the Latin Band wording for the Samsung A35 in Awesome IceBlue, but Consumer Cellular solved the query for me.

Right now they have the Samsung A35 for only $299.00. It's only in Awesome Blue, but it's cheaper & that's more important right now.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Glad you were able to get things sorted out!

Reactions: Laura Knotek