Poll: Did Sprint drop the ball on pricing??

Did they drop the ball?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sure the phone is the next great handset and many of the posts here have given plenty of great reasons why this phone should be $50 more. I don't disagree that it may be worth the extra price. However, the questions wasn't whether the Epic is worth $50 more than the other top end smart phones. The question is whether Sprint got the price right.

Something that many of you are overlooking - even though several people have mentioned it - is that YOU are not the typical consumer. You are part of a very small niche of consumers that actually knows the different between WiMax, WiFi, and why the iPhone 4 is not really a 4G phone. The smart phone Elite if you will.

The rest of the market - you know, the MILLIONS of people who have only recently discovered how useful it is to have a smart phone - those people don't know or care about the specs. Here is what those people hear -

1. Epic/Evo get charged a $10 fee for 4G even if you don't have it in your area.
2. {insert phone here} only costs $200 and it does the same thing
3. Sprint customer service sucks

The fact that the overall cost of ownership for the term of the contract is much lower is completely irrelevant. If that mattered to the average consumer as much as it matters to us, Cricket Wireless would be the largest carrier in the country by a huge margin and Sprint would certainly be leading AT&T and Verizon.

Sprint is fighting for market share from the #3 position. Dropping the price of the Evo to $179 and bringing out the Epic at $200 would have been a great move. They would still make a significant profit since the $10 4G fee makes up the difference easily and most people don't even have 4G. Forget that it's really an unlimited data fee, no one cares except the 2% of people that actually use more than 5 gb per month. Most use less than 2 gb so it's a moot point.

Lastly, someone pointed out that consumers usually equate price with quality. While that is true to some extent, when consumers are faced with a choice in products at varying prices, by a very large margin they tend to pick the price in the middle. It's human nature since they can justify the extra expense over the lower price unit since they didn't go with top of the line. A nice compromise. Before the Epic there was basically 2 tiers, smart phones at $200 and everything else. Now you have $250/$200/and everything else.

For the consumer that is not already on Sprint, there is no incentive to switch. You pay $50 more for the phone, you get dinged $10/month for a service you don't even have access to, and you have to put up with crappy customer service. Or you can save yourself $50 and get a Droid X, Vibrant or iPhone that does exactly the same thing. That is the reality of perception, regardless of how inaccurate that perception is. That is why Sprint dropped the ball on the price.

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Just to add some perspective, according to RS the SRP price for the Epic from the manufacturer is $699.99. If that's true, they are taking a $450 loss on each handset sold at the subsidized price. Would have been a $500 loss if it sold at $199. Put another way, even with an ETF fee of $200 they are taking a significant loss if a subscriber decides to end the contract early.

Last edited:

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Women are just as in to electronics and gadgets as men. If my husband (ex now) were to try and give me an intercept I would beat the living daylights out of him. Who the heck would want an intercept over the epic? That's ridiculous. It is overly laggy and not as good a phone. I also agree that the pixi is better than the intercept. I can't believe anybody would want the intercept over the epic. If you are settling for a phone because of $50 then what else are you settling over. Lol. It's $50! That's not much. Give up coffees for a week. Don't go out to dinner for one night. Give up 2 nights at the movie. It's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Granted I know that everyone has to be pissing and moaning about everything. I mean it is the way now a days.

Someone who is concerned about status symbols and having the latest and greatest would not be interested in the Pixi... a piece of crap phone that was practically obsolete at launch. Regardless, $250 is too much money for the Epic. If you disagree then that's fine. But it is ridiculous to call it settling when neither of us had our heart set on the Epic to begin with. You may say it's "just $50" but that is the difference between "OK, that's what a good phone costs" and "Hmmm maybe I should look at alternatives".

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Just to add some perspective, according to RS the SRP price for the Epic from the manufacturer is $699.99. If that's true, they are taking a $450 loss on each handset sold at the subsidized price. Would have been a $500 loss if it sold at $199. Put another way, even with an ETF fee of $200 they are taking a significant loss if a subscriber decides to end the contract early.

Lol, and they said I was uninformed.

Sent From My Samsung Intercept

LurkMoar

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
sprint
$70 (450 mins + text + data)
$10 (4G)
$250 (epic 4G)

2-year costs: $2170

verizon
$60 (450 mins + text)
$30 (unlimited data)
$200 (droid 2)

2-year costs: $2360

at&t
$40 (450 mins)
$25 (2gb data)
$20 (unlimited text)
$10 (gps)
$200 (captivate)

2-year costs: $2480

price seems fine to me.

you for got tmobile

$80 (500 minutes unlimited texts and data)
$200 vibrant

2 year cost $2120

sprint is NOT the cheapest anymore

and if you want to argue up front cost doesn't matter as much as 2 year cost
then $500 for vibrant plus $60/month for 500 minutes, unlimited text and data comes out even cheaper at $1940

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Someone who is concerned about status symbols and having the latest and greatest would not be interested in the Pixi... a piece of crap phone that was practically obsolete at launch. Regardless, $250 is too much money for the Epic. If you disagree then that's fine. But it is ridiculous to call it settling when neither of us had our heart set on the Epic to begin with. You may say it's "just $50" but that is the difference between "OK, that's what a good phone costs" and "Hmmm maybe I should look at alternatives".

I honestly don't care if you get it or your wife gets it or not. What does it effect me. The point of my post was $50 is not enough to piss and moan about. I don't understand why everyone feels the need to do so over something so trivial. I guess its what the world has come to..

tuna83

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope, Sprint messed up.

Sprint isn't exactly setting the world on fire with taking customer from other carriers. They are at the point of balance where they are keeping customers and some here and there new business. Clearly the idea is growth. You hamper it when you price your flagship phone more than lets say an Iphone.

I wouldn't say sprint is ripping people off until you know how much the phone costs per unit to make.

None the less the phone will be awesome so just let it be.. You are going to pay it. All of you.. So is sprint really that dumb, or are you?

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Come June it probably will be no longer for sale.

Talked to a couple friends of mine in product marketing at Sprint. This cost is to avoid cannibalizing sales of the EVO 4G.

Once EVO supply issues go away, the EVO will probably drop a bit in price on a 2 year contract ($149-$179) and the Epic will fall to the magic $199 price point.

Sprint isn't stupid, they are trying to balance the needs of subscribers, the needs of their OEMs, and the pressures from the competition.

Especially with probably what, another 2-4 Android handsets coming to Sprint between now and the holidays?
I work at Sprint, and I can guarantee that either your friends have misinformation, your friends are interpreting the details wrong, or you simply are lying about having friends at Sprint. I won't say why the price is what it is (I happen to like my job) other than to say that every phone is priced as low as the economics will work, and in this case, that is $249.99. To suggest that we're subsidizing this phone less because we want more people to buy a phone we can't keep on the shelves is ludicrous.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Genius of the pre-order website

that every phone is priced as high as the economics will work

Fixed that for you.

How will we know the economics are working? That's simple. That's what the pre-order website is for. It's not there for your convenience; it's a tool to judge the impact of that price on supply before they actually start selling it. They can measure velocity at that price before launch date and determine how big a second order to place and at what point in time to make the first price drop. It's genius, actually.

I'll help out by ordering mine at full price. Thank me later.

--Qfg

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, it looks like its a really good phone. But in this day and age, in order to charge $250, you must really have a phone worth that much; something that stands out from every other phone out there, something leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. Unfortunately, this is not really any of those.
Have you seen the Super AMOLED screen yet? Seen 3D games played on that Hummingbird processor? If not, then I am not surprised you don't understand why this phone is the best in the market.

Also, look at the Droid 2 vs. the Droid X. You all don't think there's a cost associated with a physical keyboard, and yet look at how poorly gimped the Droid 2 is to get it to the same $200 price point as its sans-keyboard brother, the Droid X.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Have you seen the Super AMOLED screen yet? Seen 3D games played on that Hummingbird processor? If not, then I am not surprised you don't understand why this phone is the best in the market.

Also, look at the Droid 2 vs. the Droid X. You all don't think there's a cost associated with a physical keyboard, and yet look at how poorly gimped the Droid 2 is to get it to the same $200 price point as its sans-keyboard brother, the Droid X.

Super amoled is overhyped. The colors are nice, but a little too nice. It looks slightly oversaturated. That's not so bad on a phone, but the blurry pentile text is really bad.

If the evos screen wasn't horrible 16 bit, I would probably say that it was better.

feardunn

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Putting Money in Your Pocket

That still doesn't justify the price. The bottom line is that Sprint is ripping us off. I'm going to buy it anyway,

The EPIC costs samsung, at most, $10 more to manufacture than a Captivate.
It also takes extra steps to produce. Parts+Labor=Product

It isn't a ridiculous amount and they added that cool wireless DLNA feature to boot. You shouldn't need a new phone next year given a feature set like Epic's. So really, you'll be saving a minimum of $199.99 plus the difference of the lower monthly bill,when compared to other carrier plans. Now that I've done the math, it seems as though you will be making about $500.oo, if you buy the Epic.

Bottom line: "I'm going to buy it anyway"

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It also takes extra steps to produce. Parts+Labor=Product

It isn't a ridiculous amount and they added that cool wireless DLNA feature to boot. You shouldn't need a new phone next year given a feature set like Epic's. So really, you'll be saving a minimum of $199.99 plus the difference of the lower monthly bill,when compared to other carrier plans. Now that I've done the math, it seems as though you will be making about $500.oo, if you buy the Epic.

Bottom line: "I'm going to buy it anyway"

The epic will be totally obsolete next year. Dual core phones are coming out in a matter of months.

pedocurve

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Charged us more and didn't give us a movie or game.

Sprint branded sims would of made epic ... epic

I would have gladly liked a lower price of 150 for those two items gone but to charge more without and only demo crap.

f u epic.

2nd

then you charge 10$ data plan to a user who lives in an area without

f u epic.

----------------

Iwould say intead... F U SPRINT!

feardunn

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Super amoled is overhyped. The colors are nice, but a little too nice. It looks slightly oversaturated. That's not so bad on a phone, but the blurry pentile text is really bad.

If the evos screen wasn't horrible 16 bit, I would probably say that it was better.

I just read a Loooooooong knowledge filled rant about Pen Tile use, because I didn't know what it was. I think I'm eligible for at least 2 college after that.
Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

pedocurve

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, let's look at it this way. Your internet is down for a week because for some reason, the people cannot come to your house until their schedules clear up. You realize that you need to pay bills, schedule a vacation for your family, and still be able to keep updated with the world. You simply cannot do mobile browsing. Here, you have an iPhone with a 2gb data plan or a Samsung Epic 4g or any other Sprint phone that supports tethering. You have already used 500mb on your phone and the month is not over for another 14 days. So, risk ODing on the iPhone plan and paying per kilobyte or have a Sprint plan with unlimited data and have no worries of going over the data cap?

That is all Good but what everyone is simply not even looking at is that Sprint SUCKS! I moved from Verizon to Sprint after 5years just because Sprint had better prices (which it did) but the Service SUCKS!!. The reception is always lacking. When I am in New York, "Forget About it"... No reception, DROPPED calls, dont get my txt messages when I am supposed, etc. When I am in South Florida at home where there are NO high rises I also get dropped calls, etc.

I would love to buy the Epic 4G but just having to pay $250 for a phone, extend my contract for 2 more years AND Pay that EXTRA $10 a month fee which SPRINT has failed to explain what the FEE IS REALLY FOR??! makes me wan to wait till November and switch back to Verizon pay a little bit more for Service but I'll be able to DEPEND on the network...

Sigh! Sorry people I guess i just had to get that out of my chest..! LOL

pedocurve

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I am sticking with Sprint, sure. Any way you slice the cake, though, Sprint is missing out on almost $400 by trying to weasel out a measly $50. And considering the results on this poll, I highly doubt that I am an outlier.

May I suggest that your situation is atypical, in that most of our wives probably don't even know, let alone care what 4G is. Also, the Intercept is certainly a capable phone, and I'm sure it will suit her just fine. For reference, when I told her that her upgrade was coming up... she asked for a Pixi :eek:

LOL so true! :D

snarf77

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
i will be getting this to replace my hero but not for this price im sure somewhere online there will be a deal for $200 or less with contract ext

the cpu and smaller screen is what sold me over the evo

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The epic will be totally obsolete next year. Dual core phones are coming out in a matter of months.

Did you see the benchmarks of the HTC Glacier? Its supposed to be a dual core phone and the Galaxy S still beat it. The Hummingbird is one tough CPU to beat. I think we are good till next upgrade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201