Poll: Did Sprint drop the ball on pricing??

Did they drop the ball?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Lol, and they said I was uninformed.

Sent From My Samsung Intercept
Being sarcastic? LOL :p

I meant to say Sprint would be losing $500 on each Epic if they sold it @ $199. From what I have been able to scrounge up the EVO's SRP is $600. If these numbers hold up, that means sprint is losing $50 more per Epic sold compared to the Evo. If it sold at $199 they would be losing $100 more. I don't know how people can complain about the subsidized price without knowing what Sprint's cost is.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:

Lupevalenz#AC

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm paying full price, so nope! They didn't drop the ball XD. Seriously, your getting more than the other galaxy S phones and just for $50 more, nice deal to get the keyboard and front facing camera.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Being sarcastic? LOL :p

I meant to say Sprint would be losing $500 on each Epic if they sold it @ $199. From what I have been able to scrounge up the EVO's SRP is $600. If these numbers hold up, that means sprint is losing $50 more per Epic sold compared to the Evo. If it sold at $199 they would be losing $100 more. I don't know how people can complain about the subsidized price without knowing what Sprint's cost is.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

The ipad is $500. The ipod touch is $200. There is no way that the epic costs $700. $250 is a good estimate IMO, but Keith says that it is actually a bit more. Keep in mind that Apple makes money selling them at these prices.

Sebrina

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The ipad is $500. The ipod touch is $200. There is no way that the epic costs $700. $250 is a good estimate IMO, but Keith says that it is actually a bit more. Keep in mind that Apple makes money selling them at these prices.

Let's not forget that the Galaxy S's CPU/GPU combo is superior to that of an iPad sad but true.

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

Are you saying that the Epic is $250 from Samsung? Or that the ipod touch's hardware is comparable to the Epic?!

Sprint is selling the Epic at a loss even at the $449.99 unsubsidized price point. These devices can be EXPENSIVE from the manufacturer. The carriers sell it for significantly less than MSRP to make the price point a bit more palatable to consumers. Both BB and RS are selling the Epic for $50 more than they are selling the EVO's off of contract. What does that tell us? Ultimately the manufacturers control the retail price.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that the Epic is $250 from Samsung? Or that the ipod touch's hardware is comparable to the Epic?!

Sprint is selling the Epic at a loss even at the $449.99 unsubsidized price point. These devices can be EXPENSIVE from the manufacturer. The carriers sell it for significantly less than MSRP to make the price point a bit more palatable to consumers. Both BB and RS are selling the Epic for $50 more than they are selling the EVO's off of contract. What does that tell us? Ultimately the manufacturers control the retail price.

The hummingbird is better, but not by much. We're talking about a few dollars difference in manufacturing costs.

The ipad has amazing hardware and build quality. Huge battery, huge, really nice IPS display, and the glass and aluminum casing.

Moreover, Samsung manufactures many of the parts themselves, so they can get them at low prices.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
GPU, but yeah, Galaxy S still whomped on it.

Yes, for GPU. CPU performance on these new devices will be jaw dropping. The epics redeaming quality is the huge overclocking potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 2ghz.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't count on it. Not even close. This pie in the sky idea that a pocket device can replace a computer has been around for years, and I've been suckered by every single one of them. It just doesn't work. Phones do some things, laptops do other things, tablets do other things, don't mess with the formula.

No wrong. This phone can connect to a full size keyboard, then to a full size TV or monitor, turn wifi on, plug the ac adapter in and you can actually do all most common tasks people do on laptops. Sure there have been neat phones that do some of this but no where near this much. You can try and fight the idea all you want, but having a device that can run a monitor at 720p, use a full size keyboard, run off wifi and do pretty much all the things a basic laptop can do and it fits in your pocket and makes phone calls. There haven't been any phones that can do all this before the evo. Its a new era of smartphones and you will have to get used to it because fighting it is a test in futility.

Sebrina

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The hummingbird is better, but not by much. We're talking about a few dollars difference in manufacturing costs.

The ipad has amazing hardware and build quality. Huge battery, huge, really nice IPS display, and the glass and aluminum casing.

Moreover, Samsung manufactures many of the parts themselves, so they can get them at low prices.

The processor is slightly better the GPU is nearly 4x faster. Samsung doesn't get them cheaper they make them aka they sell them to Apple they get them below wholesale cost.

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Whether or not you think the Epic costs $699.00 from Samsung or not every 3rd part vendor is selling the Epic $50 more than the Evo at the subsidized and unsubsidized price points. The fact is the Epic costs more to purchase from the manufacturer than the Evo does.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Whether or not you think the Epic costs $699.00 from Samsung or not every 3rd part vendor is selling the Epic $50 more than the Evo at the subsidized and unsubsidized price points. The fact is the Epic costs more to purchase from the manufacturer than the Evo does.

I'm sure that's true, but that just sucks for Sprint. They really aren't in a position to be charging $250 for a phone that is supposed to be converting people from other carriers.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
No wrong. This phone can connect to a full size keyboard, then to a full size TV or monitor, turn wifi on, plug the ac adapter in and you can actually do all most common tasks people do on laptops. Sure there have been neat phones that do some of this but no where near this much. You can try and fight the idea all you want, but having a device that can run a monitor at 720p, use a full size keyboard, run off wifi and do pretty much all the things a basic laptop can do and it fits in your pocket and makes phone calls. There haven't been any phones that can do all this before the evo. Its a new era of smartphones and you will have to get used to it because fighting it is a test in futility.

Why would you do any of this? You can't fit all those things in your pocket. You would have to lug them around, and considering a much much much faster netbook can be had for $200, it just makes no sense to try and accomplish this on a phone on any sort of regular basis. DLNA is nice for watching videos, sometimes, but thats about it. Everything else is a gimmick.

Maybe things will be different in a year or two, but for now and the foreseeable future, it just isn't happening, and certainly not with the Epic.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The processor is slightly better the GPU is nearly 4x faster. Samsung doesn't get them cheaper they make them aka they sell them to Apple they get them below wholesale cost.

Nope. Apple actually bought out the company that designed the Hummingbird and the A4, AFAIK. I think Samsung manufactures the Hummingbird, I do not know who manufactures A4.

kilarcam

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
the samsung epic is an exclusive model for sprint with obvious upgrades that the other models don't have. To have that exclusivity for your carrier it is a lot of money I bet. I think the captivate is one nice looking galaxy line up device but I would bet a lot of money anyone would choose the epic over that device for obvious reasons. That is why the price is more, and that is why I will be switching to that device from the evo I currently have. Its an obvious upgrade for the fact that it has a keyboard and super amoled screen that consumes less battery life. Not only that, but I will actually be able to play GAMES on it rather then passable apps. The evo does have the ".3" screen size larger, kick stand, and high resolution camera, if those are features that would make you select that handset over an epic, you will be one happy evo customer. To me, the .3 is definitely not a difference because of the super amoled, the kickstand I never use, it doesn't sit right with my case, and its not ideal, and the higher resolution camera?, lets just say I would carry a nice camera if I was out for best quality pictures, to me It doesn't make a difference in photo quality. Both are basically producing very nice photos for a mobile phone. EPIC is definitely worth the $50 extra for this model on my carrier.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
He was right the hummingbird is the cpu not gpu. The gpu is a powervr 480. The dual core snapdragon might be a better cpu but I doubt that it'll have a good gpu just like the current snapdragon ant adreno gpu

It was in graphics, the galaxy s beat the mythical dual core snapdragon in graphics. Technically, the hummingbird is no better or worse than the qualcomm or ti, but well see soon enough

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It was in graphics, the galaxy s beat the mythical dual core snapdragon in graphics. Technically, the hummingbird is no better or worse than the qualcomm or ti, but well see soon enough

That's what I meant. The processor is not that much better than a ti omap or snapdragon processor. Its the gpu in the galaxy s phones thats a complete monster

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

This is moving beyond absurd. The cost to sprint without a doubt is easily over $450.

Where do you get $700 for Epic anyway. I see $600. You are just pulling extreme numbers right out of your hat. If you are talking about the best buy list price, you certainly don't know phone pricing since erst buy routinely publishes a list price at $100 more than the carriers sell at list. (example Palm Treo Pro list at Best buy $700)

As far as buying it it costs 10% more than EVO, and easily worth it.

We have now read claims Sprint never sold its top smartphones for over $200, which is the exact opposite of the truth as they in the past three or four years ALWAYS have (Touch Pro @ 250 and Touch Pro 2 @ 350)

As far as ipad, that is profoundly less miniaturized device. Last time I checked my laptop cost me twice as much as the same specs on a desktop.

The Galaxies have sold 10x EVO has sold in less time.

I bet that sprint sells as many epics at $250 as Samsung will let them have.

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I was the one that posted $699.99. Where did you get $600 from? Furthermore, Sprint is not selling the phone at their cost, even @ $499.99. Even that is a discounted price. The important thing to look at is how much it cost Sprint to buy it from Samsung, not how much sprint is selling it for.