Press 9 does not unlock street door

BostonBets

Mar 27, 2019
Visit site
When people come to my building, they press my unit number on the intercom keypad. This calls my Google voice number, and when I answer the call, I'm supposed to be able to press nine to unlock the door. However, nothing happens and I have to go downstairs to the door to let guests in. Moto G5 plus, Android T-Mobile. Thanks in advance for any help. The building mgmt. is stymied.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you made sure other numbers aren't having an issue? If you call a regular number from your GV one, can they hear the keypad tones if you press a number? Does the same happen if you pick up the call from your phone or on a computer/different device? Are you using the GVoice app or does it get routed to your 'normal' number?

BostonBets

Mar 27, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. The only other person having this issue is my husband. It doesn't work for him either. Other residents seem to be able to use GV successfully. I jsut checked and I don't hear a tone whne I press a key while on a call. I went into my settings and turned on dialpad sounds. I wonder whether that will fix things? I don't fancy my chances at being able to reproduce that exact tone vocally, even with my pretty good ear for pitch! Will test and let you know. Fingers crossed...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It might. The way these systems work is by interpreting the right frequency for the tone generated by each number. If you're not sending out a tone, the gate system just doesn't know when you've pressed the number (or which number). Test it out on a regular number (like calling yourself or your husband). If the other party doesn't hear the beep when you press a number, it won't work with your gate system.

helenbusheyqkyi

Feb 14, 2022
Visit site
Hello, we are facing exactly the same problem. However, in our case, the problem is slightly different. A week ago, my husband and I replaced all the old doors in our apartment. In addition to replacing the doors, we also decided to connect an intercom. Most of the doors, we ordered using the service as https://internaldoorsuk.co.uk/internal-doors/internal-glazed-doors . At first, we didn't notice any problems with the intercom. The doors opened and closed when needed. But the next day, we ran into a problem. My husband, who has an iPhone 8, can open the front door, while I can't do anything with a Samsung Galaxy phone. The intercom successfully finds and calls the available Google voice number, but nothing happens when I click on the number. Neither my husband nor I have ever used smart Google voice intercoms. So I hope you can explain as simply as possible.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open your Phone app and go to the settings menu. See if there's an option to modify the DTMF tones, and if so, make sure they're set to medium or long.