Prevent/hide Downloads folder images from showing up in Samsung Gallery app without .NOMEDIA file

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys so here's the problem. I have books, videos, and saved webpages in my downloads folder. This creates plenty of subfolders with images in them.

On the Default Samsung gallery app, There is a hide albums option, HOWEVER there is no way to hide the WHOLE downloads folder in the options. I have to manually select all the subfolders in the downloads folder and hide them that way, but there's way too many folder and it's too tedious/time consuming to manually select all the folders in the downloads folder to hide. I want to hide to select the whole download folder to hide in the samsung gallery app, is there a way to do this?

I've try placing a .nomedia file in the download folder, and this works, BUT everytime i open the samsung gallery app, it prompts me with an annoying message to delete the .nomedia file which i have to click off everytime, it's damn annoying.

So is there anyway to hide the whole download folder in the samsung gallery app without the use a .nomedia file, or is there anyway to stop the app from prompting me to delete the .nomedia file everytime i open the gallery app? Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a way of hiding it - but get a terminal app first (and learn the mv and ls [in Linux, which is what Android is running in] commands).

Then change Downloads to .Downloads (put a dot in front of it). That makes it a hidden folder. (Depending on the file manager you're using, it may get hidden from that too, so you'll have to rename (mv) it back to Downloads to use it. (ls -a will show you all the folders, including hidden ones - you'll want to use that starting in your emulated sd folder, so you can see .Downloads - then mv it to Downloads.)

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
There is a way of hiding it - but get a terminal app first (and learn the mv and ls [in Linux, which is what Android is running in] commands).

Then change Downloads to .Downloads (put a dot in front of it). That makes it a hidden folder. (Depending on the file manager you're using, it may get hidden from that too, so you'll have to rename (mv) it back to Downloads to use it. (ls -a will show you all the folders, including hidden ones - you'll want to use that starting in your emulated sd folder, so you can see .Downloads - then mv it to Downloads.)

Won't that also hide the folder from the app that actually needs it?

I have the same/a similar issue with the Samsung Gallery / Google Photos apps vs my music player. Album art. I have literally hundreds if not thousands of folders on my SD card created by my media player to store its media, music and album art. If I were to hide the directory, that will break the media player.

I have my entire music library copied to my phone.