Question about Froyo and Epic

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I am looking forward to the 2.2 update, but I'm also cautiously optimistic. I've seen lots of complaints of apps in the app store breaking on 2.2 phones, so until all the apps are up and running smoothly on 2.2 it might not even be worth it.

A seperate issue I'm curious about, I've rooted my phone, so would that prevent me from updating? I'm unsure if I'll need to unroot before any firmware updates.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Well you're most likely going to have to wait for a 2.2 rom if you want to maintain root. Otherwise you'd hve to go back to stock to do the official update. At least that's how it has been in the past.

And with other devices on 2.2, apps are getting updated. I don't see that as an issue not to upgrade.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am looking forward to the 2.2 update, but I'm also cautiously optimistic. I've seen lots of complaints of apps in the app store breaking on 2.2 phones, so until all the apps are up and running smoothly on 2.2 it might not even be worth it.

A seperate issue I'm curious about, I've rooted my phone, so would that prevent me from updating? I'm unsure if I'll need to unroot before any firmware updates.

I don't think you have to worry much about apps that are not compatible with 2.2. I still have the same apps I've has since 2.1 and all my apps work. A lot of them have been updated to work on froyo. Some actually works better on froyo.

On another note...I hope froyo doesn't come out so I dont have to upgrade from my Evo. haha. I'm just kidding guys. I was torn b4 between the 2 and when froyo does come out...ill have to reconsider again....dang it.

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you have to worry much about apps that are not compatible with 2.2. I still have the same apps I've has since 2.1 and all my apps work. A lot of them have been updated to work on froyo. Some actually works better on froyo.

On another note...I hope froyo doesn't come out so I dont have to upgrade from my Evo. haha. I'm just kidding guys. I was torn b4 between the 2 and when froyo does come out...ill have to reconsider again....dang it.

Well that's good to know! And yes... come to the dark side! Resistance is futile and all that :p

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the source code for SGS Froyo is out. If any dev takes it upon him/herself to work extra hard we might get Froyo early :D

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well that's good to know! And yes... come to the dark side! Resistance is futile and all that :p

I was there for a week actually. But in the end I had to return the Epic since my Evo was as just as fast however not as smooth, and because Evo is all up to date with Froyo and all that stuff. You can check my video below of my Evo. Oh and believe it or not I the kickstand had to do with my choice too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcXJCtHHq8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz