Questions for Pixel fans

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I mean ..... £1000 for 128Gb of old UFS3.1 in 2023 is just embarrassing. That's iPhone type of shenanigans.
Nah... iPhone shenanigans would be "introducing" USB-C to iPhones and capping its data transfer at the 2.0 standard (480Mbps) that was released 23 years ago, to make sure it didn't overshadow the speeds previously offered by their Lightning port. Unless you got the Pro model.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
For me, the value of a Pixel just isn't there. Which is why I went back to Samsung from a 7 Pro. I'm glad I tried it to find out it's not for me. Half of the features of phones nowadays that are advertised, people forget about in 6 months. My 7 pro's battery life and overheating was an issue for me. Also didn't like the auto brightness dimming all the time on me even when I would manually increase the brightness.

Ultimately I don't trust Google to make a reliable piece of hardware anymore. Imo, the Pixel doesn't belong in the same price range or territory as an S ultra or iPhone pro.

As always, ymmv.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
For me, the value of a Pixel just isn't there. Which is why I went back to Samsung from a 7 Pro. I'm glad I tried it to find out it's not for me. Half of the features of phones nowadays that are advertised, people forget about in 6 months. My 7 pro's battery life and overheating was an issue for me. Also didn't like the auto brightness dimming all the time on me even when I would manually increase the brightness.

Ultimately I don't trust Google to make a reliable piece of hardware anymore. Imo, the Pixel doesn't belong in the same price range or territory as an S ultra or iPhone pro.

As always, ymmv.
I have a feeling this will be my experience as well. Once u get used to a certain experience, its difficult to give it up. I'm committed to 10 full days of Pixel though. I won't know unless I try.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As most of you know, I'm pretty much a forever Pixel user, ever since the 1st gen. I've had the Pixel XL, 2 XL, 3 XL, 3a XL, 6 Pro, and now 7 Pro. I agree with all of the pros that have been mentioned already, and I guess I'm lucky, but the only hardware mediocrity I've encountered is the unexpected bricking of the 3 XL. I never had signal issues with the infamous 6 Pro's modem, and I've only noticed my 7 Pro overheating a couple of times when the weather was sweltering as I was taking a bunch of pictures (but it handles extended Asphalt 9 gameplay without a problem).

Camera is super-important to me, because taking snaps is one of my favorite things to do while traveling. I can't really compare directly with Samsung, because I only have a Galaxy A32 5G as a backup, but all I can say is that it's always a joy to take shots with Pixels -- the computational photography is amazing, without being overdone.

Bells and whistles can be really neat to have, but the way I look at it, if I want to add a bell or whistle, there are plenty of 3rd party options out there -- they don't always have to be baked into the system. For example, I agree that the Pixel Launcher is kinda boring and frustratingly inflexible, so I always install Nova Launcher Prime.

swsmpbaby985

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
What do you love about Pixel phones?

What don't you love?

I checked out a few P7P reviews, and I feel like I'll be underwhelmed coming from Samsung, but I wanna try something new. Apple takes more effort that I'm willing to put forth.

I will say the AI shown during the P8 reveal is interesting. Brings new meaning to the phrase "Pics or it didn't happen."
I love the stock android experience.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I like the pixel extras as well. The enhanced AI features and the simplicity of it appeals to me. I have a S10+ and that is wonderful to customise but every Samsung I have owned has had microphone issues that render the phone unusable for me. In the end I always go back to Pixel.
I'm curious what you mean by "microphone issues." call related? am seriously curious.

BrwnSuga3

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the S23U and P7Pro and I was on my S23U up until about a few months ago. The camera on the Pixel always pulls me back because of it's real tone. I love the pictures I can take now of my newborn. There's just something about the way the Pixel captures different skin tones that I love.

I can't wait to get the P8Pro and try out all the different features. I'm sure I'll flip once the S24U comes out but we shall see lol.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to play with the one UI 6 beta on my S23U ... man, Samsung is going to make it real hard to leave LOL

They added a Routine trigger I was literally looking for a week or so ago ... Media Playing. I like my notification sounds on but hate when they interrupt my music. Now I have a Routine set where if YouTube Music is playing it sets my phone to vibrate. So simple yet so genius

I am sure there are other goodies in their update, but this one jumped right out at me.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I think security will become more important as time goes on.

Even though I don’t understand them, I believe in the Titan M2 chip and the other changes in the P8, which make it more secure.

I am too old and stingy to be buying $1000 phones, so I’ll settle for the plain P8, with updates that will probably go on longer than I will.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to play with the one UI 6 beta on my S23U ... man, Samsung is going to make it real hard to leave LOL

They added a Routine trigger I was literally looking for a week or so ago ... Media Playing. I like my notification sounds on but hate when they interrupt my music. Now I have a Routine set where if YouTube Music is playing it sets my phone to vibrate. So simple yet so genius

I am sure there are other goodies in their update, but this one jumped right out at me.
Routines are LIFE! Set it and forget it. As AI heavy as Pixels are, there must be something akin to routines. Idk if I can live without them.

Reactions: YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Routines are LIFE! Set it and forget it. As AI heavy as Pixels are, there must be something akin to routines. Idk if I can live without them.

As Mr. Lumpkin stated, Rules is what you'll find on the Pixel. Although I'd go further to say that Rules and Routines should not even be compared as Rules pales in comparison. The only two triggers for Rules are WiFi network and location ... that's it, period the end. And you only get 4 options to choose as to what the device is to do - turn on DND, Set to silent, set to vibrate, and set to ring. It's actually quite surprising Google hasn't expanded upon Rules.

I've tried some third party apps but they're either too complicated, require root access or both.

Last edited:

Soligna

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The best things I enjoy about the Pixel line, coming from someone who had the S7-S22 and switched to Pixel.
  • Call Screening and Hold For Me
  • Battery life, now I know this has been a mixed bag, but my S22U had nowhere near the amount of battery life my P7P has.
  • Lack of clutter features, the Samsung line has so many features that I never used or wanted to use that were basically forced on me that I absolutely hated having to sort through.
  • Smoothness of UI interaction, I have encountered 0 lag anywhere using my Pixel, while I can't say the same for my S22U
  • Fingerprint Scanner, this is another controversial topic, but the S22U's fingerprint scanner was crap compared to the P7P IN MY OPINION
  • Camera, the P7P has a fantastic camera and it is FAST, I can take pictures much quicker than I could with my S22U, and even just launching the camera app is faster.
  • Simplicity of UI, the Pixel interface is simple, doesn't carry Bixby(ugh), and it is easy to figure out
  • Price, it's cheaper, nuff said, not to mention the planned obsolescence of the Samsung line means your phone slows down much faster than a Pixel, you get fewer OS and Security updates with a Samsung, and it seems like the battery is a bit more robust to time.

Now, things I don't like.
  • Lack of customization options, you get what you get with the Pixel, and there are very few changes you can make to the UI
  • There are a couple of small quality-of-life features I do miss from the Samsung, like Wi-Fi sharing, and I did enjoy using a pen from time to time, but it was really rare.
  • Cases and accessories, there just isn't a variety of cases available for the P7P, but then again I generally just go with an Otterbox as my main squeeze, and the P8P will have the black Symmetry that I like using instead of a clear case. (although I may cave because I like the blue color of the P8P I have pre-ordered)
Honestly, there are a few drawbacks for the Pixel, but at the same time, for me, call screening and hold for me way outweigh the Samsung pros and that was a major lynchpin for me switching over.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
A lot of these experiences are very subjective. Being that I have numerous galaxy phones, watches, tablets and buds I appreciate a lot of what some consider Samsung bloatware. Love being able to pick up one device and finish things on another one. Honestly if I could purchase the pixels assistant and calling features I would truly have the best of both worlds. Since I can't I like to have a pixel as a side device. It allows me to get my pure Android fix whenever I have the urge. I look forward to the day when they introduce tablets and watches to rival the experience that I receive with my galaxies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter