Rant: Absolutely unacceptable that the 3.1 update doesn't fix lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
well said!

Thanks...it looks like we have people who will support google/motorola blindly

fact is, yes we are early adopters...but so where the people who bought Ipad 1's....that didn't have any issues at all

if they had so many issues with 3.0 HC...then they shouldn't have released a premature product....I dropped $650 on this device and expect it to work like a $650 device

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
yea..how often does an iOS device freeze up? once a week at most?

My xoom lags if it hasn't restarted over 24 hours.

Try going into the app drawer in the Xoom and be in portrait view...it still lags...and that is equivalent to the "GRID VIEW" on iOS

I don't have either of these issues.

crashybear

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Unbelievable. The lags have completely vanished for me after the 3.1 update. Even before 3.1 it wasn't all that bad.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can compare Android 3.0 on tablets and iOS 3 as launched on the original iPad - Honeycomb differs significantly from previous versions of Android, while iOS on iPad was more of the same. Google was already hugely behind Apple in the tablet space, so better to get products out the door and drum up some support rather than wait another year. Not saying this is the ideal way to go about it, but you gotta start somewhere.

Android on tablets is still in its infancy; look back at say Android 1.5 on smartphones of the time and you might remember that was a pretty miserable experience as well. The point is there's potential, and some people like to bet on the dark horse :)

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can compare Android 3.0 on tablets and iOS 3 as launched on the original iPad - Honeycomb differs significantly from previous versions of Android, while iOS on iPad was more of the same. Google was already hugely behind Apple in the tablet space, so better to get products out the door and drum up some support rather than wait another year. Not saying this is the ideal way to go about it, but you gotta start somewhere.

Android on tablets is still in its infancy; look back at say Android 1.5 on smartphones of the time and you might remember that was a pretty miserable experience as well. The point is there's potential, and some people like to bet on the dark horse :)

Very True. I just received my 3.1 update and it is much more stable.....gives me hope...still has issues...but I'm willing to wait...I can't stand the iPad and its prehistoric OS

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If your device hasn't gotten 3.1 you cannot view it, therefore you cannot REview it or judge it in any way. I have the update, zero crashes... it feels very very VERY stable, my browser has only frozen once and even then all I had to do was force close it. Flash runs without a hitch and the only real complaints I have is: no Netflix and the multi tasking button takes a second longer than it might need to open the multi tasking panel. Other than that, this is a great update.

Sent from my HTC Dream

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I notice lag. Seems to run fine in my opinion. The battery life is amazing, browser is much better after the update and streams video better now too. I think people complaining about lag are looking for something to complain about.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

fact is, yes we are early adopters...but so where the people who bought Ipad 1's....that didn't have any issues at all

if they had so many issues with 3.0 HC...then they shouldn't have released a premature product....I dropped $650 on this device and expect it to work like a $650 device
It looks like we have people who will complain about Google/Motorola blindly.

Why did you get a Honeycomb device? Why are you on Android? You need to ask these questions.

What was it that drew you away from iOS and toward Android? Was it the smoothness of a scroll when the unit was inverted? Or was it the more powerful and capable operating system that gave you more freedom, more utility, and more promise?

Seriously, you guys are complaining about something I can only see if I try to see it. In normal use, it doesn't even come up. Something you see when the unit is upside down? Really? That's how you are judging XOOM and Honeycomb?

Darn the features. Darn the flexibility. Darn everything because when it's upside down it doesn't scroll the ENTIRE screen as smoothly as an iPad scolls one tenth the number of pixels.

And you think we are the blind ones?

It's time you sold your XOOM and bought an iPad. Seriously. Stop torturing yourself with what you firmly believe is an inferior product.

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Nice. Well said.

Also remember that iOS was originally built as a tablet OS. They scaled it down to a phone. So there was no "reinvention of the wheel" when they scaled back up to iPad.

Google went the other way... starting out with a phone and had to reinvent itself for a tablet.

And again, if the the ENTIRE user experience is considered, rather than harping on a stutter artifact when the unit is upside down, Google did one heck of an impressive job. The iPad could not nearly do what the XOOM does for me in my professional life. In just a couple of short months, it has transformed, enhanced and streamlined my daily life.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It looks like we have people will complain about Google/Motorola blindly.

Why did you get a Honeycomb device? Why are you on Android? You need to ask these questions.

What was it that drew you away from iOS and toward Android? Was it the smoothness of a scroll when the unit was inverted? Or was it the more powerful and capable operating system that gave you more freedom, more utility, and more promise?

Seriously, you guys are complaining about something I can only see if I try to see it. In normal use, it doesn't even come up. Something you see when the unit is upside down? Really? That's how you are judging XOOM and Honeycomb?

Darn the features. Darn the flexibility. Darn everything because when it's upside down it doesn't scroll the ENTIRE screen as smoothly as an iPad scolls one tenth the number of pixels.

And you think we are the blind ones?

It's time you sold your XOOM and bought an iPad. Seriously. Stop torturing yourself with what you firmly believe is an inferior product.

first you say there is no lag....then you say there is lag, but give a reason for it...now say you do see it if you try to see it....make up your mind already....

HC is definitely superior to iOS in terms of customization, but it comes at a cost

Sorry...won't buy an iPad no matter what

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
first you say there is no lag....then you say there is lag, but give a reason for it...now say you do see it if you try to see it....make up your mind already....
Not exactly. I said I haven't seen lag and asked for someone to show it to me. I've said I don't see lag many times before.

I admitted this upside down thing is the closest thing lag that anyone has shown. I call it "stutter" because lag means it's delayed. What happens when the unit is upside down is more like a loss of smoothness, not a delay. It is not lag.

The things people are calling "lag" are a combination of totally reasonable things:

Rendering an active widget: How is this considered lag when compared to an iPad if the iPad doesn't have active widgets? Has the definition of lag departed from comparisons with iPad and now includes everything that doesn't happen instantaneously?
The reorientation time: It's clearly programmed that way. If it was a hardware problem or an OS problem, there would be sensor issues in all the applications that run in Android.

HC is definitely superior to iOS in terms of customization, but it comes at a cost
Android is superior in terms of customization and capabilities. The "cost" you complain about so vehemently, most of us don't even notice... not unless we go out of our way looking for it.

Sorry...won't buy an iPad no matter what
Then I don't understand what the problem is. Seriously dude, you sound like you spent your last $800 on a XOOM, have no recourse to return it, and you are bitter you didn't buy an iPad2. That's exactly how you sound.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Then I don't understand what the problem is. Seriously dude, you sound like you spent your last $800 on a XOOM, have no recourse to return it, and you are bitter you didn't buy an iPad2. That's exactly how you sound.

Lag, stutter, freeze...whatever you want to call it (i am not sure of the proper term)

As for the quote above, You have it all wrong....

I bought the iPad 2 on launch day at Walmart...64gb....I of course didn't like it because I am an long time android user, but I figured I would give it a shot. I ended up returning it on day 9 (I had a 14 day return policy).

I then waited for the Xoom to come to Cotsco and bought it on launch day. I have a 90 day return period, so I am have plenty of recourse.

Next. I didn't spend my last $800 on a xoom....that would be financially foolish.

Have a nice day! :)

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yea..how often does an iOS device freeze up? once a week at most?

My xoom lags if it hasn't restarted over 24 hours.

Try going into the app drawer in the Xoom and be in portrait view...it still lags...and that is equivalent to the "GRID VIEW" on iOS

Haha you have no clue, I work at a UPS store and we see the same people shipping back their iPhones and ipads due to freezing issues. Is say about 10 people a day

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes but understand this, HC is very very young. It's going to have problems and need refining. Get over the lag for now. Wait for future updates to happen, HC will be more amazing as time goes on

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Lag, stutter, freeze...whatever you want to call it (i am not sure of the proper term)

As for the quote above, You have it all wrong....

I bought the iPad 2 on launch day at Walmart...64gb....I of course didn't like it because I am an long time android user, but I figured I would give it a shot. I ended up returning it on day 9 (I had a 14 day return policy).

I then waited for the Xoom to come to Cotsco and bought it on launch day. I have a 90 day return period, so I am have plenty of recourse.

Next. I didn't spend my last $800 on a xoom....that would be financially foolish.

Have a nice day! :)
Lag or no lag... Financially foolish or not. Both are all about what you're doing with the device.

Unless I bend over backwards looking for it, I don't see any lag, therefore there is no "cost", in my XOOM. I don't run it upside down a lot. ;-)

$800 was not foolish IMHO. In fact, I bought three at that price. My wife loves it, as does my son. No other tablet/pad could provide the benefits the XOOM has delivered. My efficiency is up, as is my income. The XOOM has already paid for itself in spades and it has only been since the end of Feb.

It has not only enhanced my professional life. It has enhanced my personal life. I find myself looking forward to dictating letters and memorandum using Google voice recognition. It's like magic. ;-) I've got all the punctuation down. I just wish I could figure out how to capitalize at the beginning of sentences.

This results are more frequent, more complete and concise communications, leading to fewer misunderstandings. Since I can do this at a moment's notice, I tend to fit more into my business day, therefore have taken less time away from my family at night.

$800 was financially foolish? No... replacing my car's turbo and repiping (cat-back) so it breaths better and gives me a handful of extra horsepower. THAT was financially foolish. :) Buying the XOOMs was the best decision I've made this year.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah no wonder, i used the Xoom at bestbuy the other day, and it was flipped around, and i was like dammm why is this xoom so stuttery, didnt run smooth at all.

Now i know why, i thought the xoom was just really terrible at that point.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree that this is a pretty poor show. The main criticism leveled at Android over the years has been the sometimes flaky user experience. Honeycomb was supposed to change all that... and here we are with tablets that are almost unusable in portrait mode due to the drop in framerate.

Anybody saying they haven't seen this issue is either lying or has never used their Xoom in portrait mode. This is a documented issue and is scheduled to be fixed in a 'future release' according to the Android bug tracker.

I was hoping the 'future release' would be 3.1 but no such luck.

Incidentally, it has nothing to do with the number of apps open or number of widgets on your homescreen. You can empty your homescreen entirely and you will still see the issue when scrolling in portrait.

It's a shame that Google is still struggling to get the basic user experience right. I had high hopes for 3.0 (and 3.1). Seems like we're always waiting on the next release.

dreT86

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the pause when changing orientation. I don't want the screen flipping by accident so the pause makes sure that u are purposely changing the orientation.

Reactions: dietrichmd#AC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz