RCS on android messages after update?

Kasper610

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know if android messages will now have RCS afer this update? As far as I could tell, doesn't seem like it. Do I have to use the samsung messaging app?

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the new Google Messages app from the Play Store when i saw this note come out about RCS...and it does seem to be a different Messaging App and I am using it...it seems cooler but I am not sure I see a huge benefit. It has a Chat feature that I have not used yet and some auto fill replies...
What else is it supposed to do??

Kasper610

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Supposed to be able to send larger files, better video quality. Also I think it should be able to have google duo imbeded in the actual messaging app itself right next to the phone icon. I don't see any difference at all.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I think the new Messages features are coming in app version 4.xxxxxx. It's a slow rollout. If you still have Messages version 3.xxxxx then you won't see all those new features yet. Out of the 5 phones in my account, all using Messages, none have seen the new app update yet. We did just get a minor app update with "bug fixes" buy it was not the version 4 update with all the new features.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Some features are coming out in version 4 (which was supposed to be released almost a week ago), but it also depends on the carrier having implemented the feature. The only one that won't depend n the carrier, when it comes out, is direct-over-the-internet messaging.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
What type of stuff is the RCS supposed to do?

RCS will enable an iMessage type experience on Android. Unfortunately, it's carrier dependent and the only one I've heard that's allowing it so far is TMobile, so it doesn't matter if the app has it enabled.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
RCS will enable an iMessage type experience on Android. Unfortunately, it's carrier dependent and the only one I've heard that's allowing it so far is TMobile, so it doesn't matter if the app has it enabled.

Sprint has had RCS support for over a year, Verizon has had it for a while now too. T-Mobile is very late to the game.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Sprint has had RCS support for over a year, Verizon has had it for a while now too. T-Mobile is very late to the game.

I'm on Verizon and can tell you they do not use it, at least not in my part of the country. They may have the ability, but they haven't enabled it.

Last I've seen is mentioning it will be enabled "early 2019" but Verizon wouldn't comment on an actual timeline. Verizon has Message+ which mimics RCS, but only if the recipient also uses Message+

Edit - I stand corrected, sort of.
Apparently it is available, but only on the Pixel 3 devices. This is a Galaxy S9 forum, so it's highly unlikely that bit of info is going to be at all useful.

Last edited:

Kasper610

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Well, we were "Supposed" to get RCS in this update, but I'm not seeing any RCS features in the samsung messaging app or the android messaging app. There are several articles I've read online saying T-mobile already supports RCS in the Samsung app. I don't see it, I don't have any of the "Chat" features. Is it just me?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord