Receive Google voice calls on nexus 7

Scott Greenstone

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have an unrooted nexus 7. Google voice app installed. When people call my voice number the nexus never rings. Am I doing something wrong or is it working as designed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You need a dialer app that integrates with Google Voice in order to receive and make voice calls on the N7. Otherwise, you are limited to SMS. I recommend Groove IP Lite. It works well, is simple to use, allows the use of Bluetooth headsets, and is free. You could get the paid version, but its extra features (besides no ads) are only advantageous with a cell phone.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.snrblabs.grooveip&token=DtAH_NIe

I read today that Google plans a future update of their new Hangouts app that would integrate Google Voice. I'm not sure if this means you won't need a third party dialer or when the update is due, but it's something to keep an eye on.

undertow1066

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My problem with the Talkatone and the Grooveip lite solutions is that, when you install these programs on your new nexus 7 (2nd generation), your google phone number will ring on your tablet BUT it will no longer ring within gmail on your computer. Gmail/google voice is my primary phone--I need it to ring both on my computer and on the tablet. If google truly wants to created a seamless experience between their products, why have they not addressed this problem with their own software? I hope they do soon!

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Reviving an old thread to ask:
What will happen when GrooveIP will cease to be compatible due to the planned Google Voice protocol change this Spring?

I am in need of a Google Voice phone solution for home, and the pending change renders a bunch of solutions obsolete (Obi, etc).

EDIT to add: Quite a few solutions, like Obi, would require user to seek a SIP provider, with (what seems to be) a fairly complex setup process...

Last edited:

Dick Hodges

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I too had the same problem. Here is how I got my Nexus 7 to ring:

Open Hangouts Dialer
Click on your picture. Upper left hand corner
Click on settings
Click on your email address
I clicked on "Hangouts messages & invites"
Check notifications
Click on sounds and pick a sound.