Repeating / duplicate incoming text messages

jmarcv

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I figured out why it is happening, in MY case. I have an S5, my wife has a Nokia with windows 8.

I noticed that SOMETIMES I get doubles, not always. But the doubles are not EXACT doubles, always seemed a format difference.
Finally I discovered that any time the nokia sent messages with a line feed in it, I got dupes. the first message had all line feeds stripped, and the second was as sent.

So at this point the only way I can stop it is to ask my wife not to use line feeds.

S5 to Nokia is OK.
Nokia to blackberry is OK.

I am using verizon messaging plus.

Ron Esh

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a galaxy 10.1 with facebook Messenger Service I was living in Kenya for 6 months and have just come back into town when I arrived all of these major updates came on to my tablet ever since then all of my messages to my wife in Kenya have been duplicates I am battling hard to delete them the second time what the heck is going on it is the new updates how can we fix this problem otherwise I'm going to cancel everything and go to whatsapp because we don't have that problem there that I know of this also happens on my galaxy st 7580 when I came in from Kenya and the updates hit my cell phone hard also the problem has got to be in the updates my phone and tablet I never used to do this ever until I came back into town and got all of these updates

Androidz930

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
My question about writing emails with gmail from Android then it gets sent to and repeated on gmail account thru computer
is that normal? It is very nerve wracking and confusing as it seems I have a bunch of unread and incoming mail on laptop
but it is the same messages sent by my phone. Why? in essence duplicate emails mostly outgoing and some incoming as well.
It seems whatever activity I do on phone since it is synched with gmail it also goes to computer. Why does it do that?

syeliab

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Just got the Samsung S6, and it's duplicating all texts. For a while I could not send out text, but they got that fixed. Now it's back to tripling incoming texts. ARRRRGGGG!

Lydia Hurst

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. I have a samsung galaxy nexus. For example, when my friend texts me let's say 3 different messages "Hi" "what's up" "you there", they keep resending. I'll get a whole other set of those three same messages, sometimes one message has more than one duplicate. Then over intervals that vary over the hour I get the same thing. It seems to normally happen when I turn my phone on, but always goes away after an hour. Idk, just wanted to rage a bit... Hope it helped!

ipr549

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile in RI/MA. Default messaging app. Try to use WiFi while at home. Otherwise some combination of 3G/4G.

I am also (still) having the duplicate message problem. Seems to be only duplicates on incoming texts as I have not heard anyone complain that they are getting duplicates from me.

It can happen quite frequently and get extremely frustrating. See screencaps: imgur.com/9R3lPfK,6jXprvj#0 / imgur.com/9R3lPfK,6jXprvj#1 (need 10 posts to add links :()

I just tried clearing the cache in Messaging and Google Hangouts as others have suggested... we'll see.

Donna Heinrich

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have been plagued with repeating / duplicate incoming text messages for several months now. Doesn't happen all the time, and not with every message. But when it happens, it seems to have fits. I can get the same message or group of several messages DOZENS of times at seemingly random intervals for hours, sometimes several hours. It drives me crazy. The only "solution" seems to be to call the person who texted me and then it suddenly stops.

I suspected it was not specific to the Evo LTE or my specific phone, even though Sprint would keep blaming the phone and saying I should take it in for service (which is not going to happen). It so happens two of my friends also have Evo LTE's and have the same issue.

Today someone with a Sprint Win phone (he must be the only one on the planet with one) *AND* someone with a Sprint Galaxy S4 both reported the same thing to me. They showed it happening in my cell (tower) but also reported it happening in other cells (as did my other friends). I am really pissed at Sprint's attitude about it, acting like they have never heard of such a thing and/or blaming it on my phone. And I can't get anyone technical to help or look into it.

So the question is- how many of you out there have seen this behavior?

I just have today, for the first time ever, on a T Mobile Galaxy Avant
How annoying. Deleting the thread, and calling the sender did not stop the mayhem, which lasted about and hour, so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slikzster1

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I have had this problem with my Samsung 3 for at least a year now. I live in N. Idaho. It frkn drives me crazy too. How do I fix the problem????

Rlnh1214

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I have been plagued with repeating / duplicate incoming text messages for several months now. Doesn't happen all the time, and not with every message. But when it happens, it seems to have fits. I can get the same message or group of several messages DOZENS of times at seemingly random intervals for hours, sometimes several hours. It drives me crazy. The only "solution" seems to be to call the person who texted me and then it suddenly stops.

I suspected it was not specific to the Evo LTE or my specific phone, even though Sprint would keep blaming the phone and saying I should take it in for service (which is not going to happen). It so happens two of my friends also have Evo LTE's and have the same issue.

Today someone with a Sprint Win phone (he must be the only one on the planet with one) *AND* someone with a Sprint Galaxy S4 both reported the same thing to me. They showed it happening in my cell (tower) but also reported it happening in other cells (as did my other friends). I am really pissed at Sprint's attitude about it, acting like they have never heard of such a thing and/or blaming it on my phone. And I can't get anyone technical to help or look into it.

So the question is- how many of you out there have seen this behavior?

Your not the only one I have the same issue just in reverse people I send messages to says they receive my messages over and over again I restart my phone and it still does it.. also I'm through text Verizon network so I dint think it's your phone

chuckerking

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
have a Blu studio 6hd phone , I just switched from a Samsung galaxy3. They both have the same thing happening, about a year ago my daughter sent me a several line text recently it keeps popping up in my in box ,it has happened at least 10 times over the last couple months, both phones are with bell. Any idea how I can stop this, also any ideas how this could happen?

Poly Paws

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi, have been receiving the same text message from my mother for the last 3 days. I got it every 10 minutes for the first two hours, then every hour for the next 3 hours, and every 2 hours since. I tried to break the loop by asking her to send a new message, but both times she did I only got the original message. I rang my telco (Optus, I'm in Australia) and the rep suggested I replace my sim card, which I did yesterday, but I am still receiving the message. I told my mother she might have to do the same thing, but after reading this forum she might not have to? I have seen you suggest select Clear Data on any messaging app installed. I'm no so tech savvy, so please explain to me what this will do, and how it differs from Clear Cache. I don't want to have to reinstall everything if I try this.

Jimi T

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Dont know if this is late to the party, re multiple texts arriving of same text, yes I have the problem. Seems to be fairly common here , NZ, my phone peeps first tried cleaning out the phones cache' , didnt fix it, replace sim with new blank sim, didnt fix it, they now say its a software issue. I trust these people only because they have fixed issues before, complex ones with my phone, they are always going to various phone maker seminars etc, this problem has them stumped. I will keep you up on my on going problem. Hopefully with a fix within the week, fingers crossed. I deleted 58 repeat txts this morning, thats an average per day, usually coming from certain peoples phones not all. Anyone got a fix for this I would appreciate the knowledge, thanks
Jimi T

Hi Donna, I am experiencing the same problems you did back in mid 2015- did you ever find a fix ? would appreciate any kind of lead, my line provider has tried but so far failed to fix, gone from cleaning the cache' to new SIM, if that doesnt work reinstall software, that got my attention, not real happy about such a drastic measure, anything ?? :) thanks for your time Jimi T

Last edited by a moderator:

djphatmac

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if this will help everyone else like it helped me but what I did to fix this problem is I opened up messaging, which is the default Android text messaging app, then I pressed the menu button at the bottom of my phone, when under settings and then press the menu button again and click restore default setting. Before I did all of this my problem was I would get between 5 and 12 duplicate messages, but after calling my provider and walking through a PRL update and reprogramming of my phone using OMADM how to reprogram my phone, and still had the same problem afterwards, the representative suggested me doing a hard reset. While he was making that suggestion that's when I stumbled across the restore default settings option. Keep in mind that I didn't change any of the default settings to begin with. But I believe an app or two that I installed may have been the culprit. But after doing the restore default setting option the problem immediately stopped, and hasn't returned since. However I do think that a number of other things could also cause the same issue. At least in my case though this worked. So before you go on installing a bunch of applications and doing a reprogram up your phone and everything else, try this easy option first. I'm fairly confident that you will have the same results as I did. I hope this helps. The only reason I signed up for this website is the answer this question to begin with because it's a pain in the a$$ problem.

stirdon1

May 9, 2016
Visit site
No way. I have a Nexus and I get up to six texts from various providers but not consistent. As you say, it is very aggravating. I went to my phone store and they said it is a software issue and not worth sending in to get fixed (too expensive) so just time to get a new phone. With the problems in Fort MacMurray, I would feel guilty dropping $600 to $900 to deal with this aggravation, but I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has discovered a solution.

Kira47

May 10, 2016
Visit site
i have the same problem it has been existing for some ttime now.i even bought another android but the problem still persists

penny1016

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
This seemed to work for the Alcatel onetouch elevate!!! Thank you :)

SOLVED ...
So I got rid of my repeat messages today.
I didn't want to hard reset, which was the final verdict from one support person (not technical) at Sprint.
So I thought, what's hard reset going to do? Stop services, remove apps? So after resetting the phone, I went into Settings>Application Settings and cleared cache on the messaging, and the Google hangouts' apps. Then I went into ALL and found running services for messaging, hangouts ... basically all the services running and stopped each one, leaving only my keyboard and services apps - the only two that didn't have options to close.
After all services were stopped, I restarted the phone.

I was consistently getting the repeat message right after restart, just as the external SD was mounted.
Not this time.

I got a bunch of missed texts, but not the one that was repeating.

WOOHOOO!!!!