[ROM]CM10.1/PAC-rom jb 4.2.2 The JBC alpha build

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
can someone help me out here? this is a bit of a noob question. I've been having trouble getting my phone to boot any of the newer roms, ics or above. I just saw the comment by thekraven "older 2.6 kernels won't boot with this." I am running Harmonia 2.0 with a Kernel version 2.6.32.9-062112 mirage@aurora. now don't laugh, here comes the really noob question. Are you ready? Are you sitting down? ok here goes... isn't the kernel replaced when you flash a new rom? or am I going to have to flash a new kernel before I flash a new rom. I've never messed with kernels before. Landrew! Guide us!

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
What are you wiping when you do a clean install? To me it sounds like your leaving something out. List your steps please.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
What are you wiping when you do a clean install? To me it sounds like your leaving something out. List your steps please.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

My steps:
  1. wipe data/factory reset
  2. wipe dalvik
  3. format /boot
  4. format /system
  5. reboot
others (/cache, /data, /sd-ext) are formatted during the factory reset so I haven't be reformatting them again, although I think I did try that once.

I've seen all kinds of things in other posts, like
  • phone must be plugged into AC adapter (tried it)
  • /sdcard should be reformatted and should be ext4 (afraid to try it)
  • recovery must be the right one for the rom (afraid to change it)
  • fix permissions should be run after flashing rom and gapps (tried it)
  • no 2sd scripts of any kind should be run
I'm using link2sd with my current Harmonia rom. could that be causing trouble?
does my recovery version matter?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The recovery does matter.
I suggest:
Restore your working Harmonia
since you're nervous,
reboot it a couple of times to make absolutely sure it's stable.
Then you can safely change the recovery. One or the other, recovery or ROM, needs to be stable at all times. You can't mess with both at once unless you're willing to go to the trouble of unbricking it. As long as one of the two is working you can fix the other.
The recoveries handle permissions and other things differently.