[ROM] JB 4.1.2 SlimRom for LS670 3.1 Build3

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Umm.... Most of the recoveries used on the OV and OS could be considered dead projects. Zengarden is no longer under development either. The only one currently being worked on are needed to be able to flash Cm 11. I could recommend Techvendetta's TWRP but If he's not trying to flash kitkat it's a bit more complicated With its os2sd options. I've had better luck with COT than zengarden in the past and if the situation calls for it COT's fix boot loop option is far more reliable than zengardens

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Okay? I meant dead as in the download links are all corrupt now. Website is gone, people who made it are impossible to talk to, all posts and threads point to the same dead links, etc.

I didn't mean to say dead as in development. Anyway I actually TRIED to get COT (I was actually looking for ZenGarden, just got the names switched) and nowhere I went would have it available.

I think I've honestly tried COT before. Don't remember why I hated it. I just knew that ZenGarden worked wonders compared to literally every other recovery, and I could finally have a partitioned sdcard and working mass storage while in recovery. And of course it's a touch recovery too.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

One more question before I try upgrading my recovery. I don't really understand step 7. What is a Pre-flash wipe? Is it defined in step 8, or are 7 and 8 two different things?

Thanks again.
The Captain

Pre-flash wipe is a multi-wipe option that COT has that wipes system, Dalvik, and cache. If I remember correctly. Essentially I'm suggesting wiping everything but sdcard 2x

I guess I have another question. Step 4, reboot into recovery, is that the Reboot Recovery option in the advanced menu of recovery, or do you like power down and then boot into recovery?

either way will be fine

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Well that's different lol. Oh and why don't people use Google Drive much now?

I know bigsupersquid is using it to host his rom and kernel. I haven't used it yet just because I got myself setup on media fire before I learned of Google drive

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
OK. So I flashed the new recovery OK, but I still can't boot any new ROMs. Do I need to update my copy of superuser with an abd push or something. Seems like it just can't or won't read or execute the new boot image. Just sits and runs the animation forever and ever. Should I go through the root process again? I'm thinking about getting another SD card that I'm willing to reformat so I can try a squeaky clean load. Any thoughts or further suggestions would be appreciated. Do I need the TWR Recovery? I thinks that's what the dev used with the slim rom I'm trying to boot (also trying BobZ rom, and getting same result).

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
OK. So I flashed the new recovery OK, but I still can't boot any new ROMs. Do I need to update my copy of superuser with an abd push or something. Seems like it just can't or won't read or execute the new boot image. Just sits and runs the animation forever and ever. Should I go through the root process again? I'm thinking about getting another SD card that I'm willing to reformat so I can try a squeaky clean load. Any thoughts or further suggestions would be appreciated. Do I need the TWR Recovery? I thinks that's what the dev used with the slim rom I'm trying to boot (also trying BobZ rom, and getting same result).

A good measure on flashing:

This is what I do, no matter what the ROM is. My way of saying "I only need one sdcard".

//Reboot recovery.
//Make nandroid backup.
//Plug into computer.
//Copy all of sdcard to computer. (my folders are named and dated to remind me of which backup it is)
//Delete all contents of sdcard, except for precious folders and files. (I keep DCIM and Download)
//Copy ROM+things to sdcard, unless they were already there.
--now for wiping and flashing--
//Clear Dalvik and cache*.
//Format boot, cache*, system, data, sd-ext.
//Format cache*. (yes I triple wiped it just now)
//If not using TWRP, flash ROM+things.
//If using TWRP, remember to mount system and data before each flash.
---if you wanna go back---
Go into recovery and prepare yourself as if installing a new ROM. But this time, erase your sdcard also and copy all contents from your backed up sdcard back into your phone, then simply restore.

Last edited:

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't see cache being triple wiped. Did you intend to include it in the line after "Clear Dalvik and cache," along with boot, system, data and sd-ext. Not trying to be picky, but to understand (I'm somewhat of a noob).

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that and see where it goes.

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't see cache being triple wiped. Did you intend to include it in the line after "Clear Dalvik and cache," along with boot, system, data and sd-ext. Not trying to be picky, but to understand (I'm somewhat of a noob).

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that and see where it goes.

Nah I meant through the whole thing I wiped it 3 times, count lol.

Edit: aha I see I did forget it after Dalvik and Cache. Updated.

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Nah I meant through the whole thing I wiped it 3 times, count lol.

Edit: aha I see I did forget it after Dalvik and Cache. Updated.

OK. So I finally got this ROM to boot after installing a newly formatted sd card. I think there is something wrong with my original. I'm going to back it up and reformat it.

This ROM is REALLY unstable. It reboots like 10 times a day. Any time I install an app or try making a change on the phone the UI freezes and then it reboots. Most recently, while composing a reply to this forum, it suddenly went into a constant vibration mode, for like 20 seconds, then rebooted.

I've tried Bob Z's ROM as well, and have similar instability issues. Is there a stable JB ROM out there for the OV? Or do I have to go back to Gingerbread if I want stability?

Are there any patches or kernel changes I could try for added stability? I want the new capabilities of the newer ROMs, but I don't know if I can live with a phone that reboots every time I try to use it.

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
OK. So I finally got this ROM to boot after installing a newly formatted sd card. I think there is something wrong with my original. I'm going to back it up and reformat it.

This ROM is REALLY unstable. It reboots like 10 times a day. Any time I install an app or try making a change on the phone the UI freezes and then it reboots. Most recently, while composing a reply to this forum, it suddenly went into a constant vibration mode, for like 20 seconds, then rebooted.

I've tried Bob Z's ROM as well, and have similar instability issues. Is there a stable JB ROM out there for the OV? Or do I have to go back to Gingerbread if I want stability?

Are there any patches or kernel changes I could try for added stability? I want the new capabilities of the newer ROMs, but I don't know if I can live with a phone that reboots every time I try to use it.

I've never had that problem before nor have I heard of it. I think your instability comes from something else not the ROM.

This is literally the most stable JB ROM for the OV. I would use it as my very comfortable daily if it weren't for Google+.

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
What else could be causing it and what can l do about it?
Here's another odd thing. When its plugged in and I reboot, it doesn't reboot all the way. It shuts down and goes to the battery charging animation screen.

My phone is almost in usable with this ROM (or anything newer than gingerbread it would seem). Unless I'm willing to accept periodic, random reboots as a normal function of the OS.

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
How do I change "Sprint" at the bottom of the lock screen to "Virgin Mobile." I looked at the network settings, but I can't find a place to change it in settings. I see Sprint in About phone|Status|Network, but can't change it there. Maybe I don't want to change it. We are after all using the Sprint network, right?

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
How do I change "Sprint" at the bottom of the lock screen to "Virgin Mobile." I looked at the network settings, but I can't find a place to change it in settings. I see Sprint in About phone|Status|Network, but can't change it there. Maybe I don't want to change it. We are after all using the Sprint network, right?

...did you flash the Virgin fix?

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
...did you flash the Virgin fix?

I did. Should that have fixed it? The phone works. Should I flash the fix again?

Also, I wanted to let you know that as I was browsing this thread, I saw someone else was having frequent reboot issues, and someone responded suggesting he change the performance settings to 480/600 interactiveX, which I did, and it made a world of difference. I've only had two reboots since I made that change, and I have reinstalled a bunch of apps from Titanium. Since you've had such a good experience with this rom, I was wondering what your performance settings might be. I'd like to try matching them and see what happens.

Thanks,
The Captain

TrikkJames

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I did. Should that have fixed it? The phone works. Should I flash the fix again?

Also, I wanted to let you know that as I was browsing this thread, I saw someone else was having frequent reboot issues, and someone responded suggesting he change the performance settings to 480/600 interactiveX, which I did, and it made a world of difference. I've only had two reboots since I made that change, and I have reinstalled a bunch of apps from Titanium. Since you've had such a good experience with this rom, I was wondering what your performance settings might be. I'd like to try matching them and see what happens.

Thanks,
The Captain

Well I hardly focus on the processor. I like to leave it 2 steps above minimum and 2 steps below maximum on interactiveX or SavagedZen when it's available in a ROM. But then again my phone rarely reboots no matter what it's on.

I also like to turn all animations off. Good to hear you're noticing a difference, I hardly remember to focus on processor when things go wrong.

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Bean_Whiz MOD of this ROM.
Read the first post several times as well as the install instructions linked to in the first post.

CaptainPackers

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. Researching clock speeds now. So far it seems to have made a HUGE difference in stability. Also, I found the place in settings to change the mobile carrier name that appears on the home screen from Sprint to Virgin Mobile. It's in Settings|Interface|General UI|Custom carrier label, in case anyone else is having trouble finding it.
Right now I'm running 245/825 SmartyV2 (I find the real name somewhat offensive) and it seems pretty snappy and stable. Camera works fine. But this probably marks the max and I will have to step down two from here. At 844 the camera forced a reboot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001