S22 ultra / smart switch

luminola

Feb 21, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

I have my new S22 ultra and I'm trying to use Samsung Smart Switch to copy everything across, but for some reason it will only transfer images/videos but none of the apps/settings. I'm trying to do cable-cable transfer.

Anyone had similar issues and have any suggestions? I'd be so grateful!

Lum

luminola

Feb 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks both for replies. Still can't get it to work for some reason, plugging them into each other and following instructions for using smart switch. Everything transfers fine but not the settings/apps/home layout etc. They all come under list of things that can't be transferred once the initial prep/scan is done. Weird, I have previously upgraded from galaxy to new galaxy several times and always used smart switch with no issues!
I've manually downloaded the apps now (even when I log into play store it only shows me all the apps I've ever downloaded rather than the ones that are in use on my old phone) and set it up - just took longer than anticipated!

Thanks both for the advice. :)

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have my new S22 ultra and I'm trying to use Samsung Smart Switch to copy everything across, but for some reason it will only transfer images/videos but none of the apps/settings. I'm trying to do cable-cable transfer.

Anyone had similar issues and have any suggestions? I'd be so grateful!

Lum

I use Smart Switch on my PC. I connect my old phone by cable to the PC & back up. Then I connect the new phone by cable & select only the items I want to restore on the new phone from the back up. I have never had a problem using this method.

I usually restore everything except settings. I don't put old settings on a new phone.
:)

Edit: By the time I finished posting, looks like you got it sorted out. Good deal! Enjoy your new phone!

Starizzy

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Are you coming from a samsung phone? If you have a laptop/computer maybe you can try using smart switch there. Upload a backup from the old phone then restore it to the new one. I believe the desktop version of smart switch allows you to do that.

Lawrence Schweitzer

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
waiting for my S22 Ultra to be delivered today. backed up phone. Was wondering, does home screen layout carry over?

I know I may have to reenter passwords and set up MFA again. Or at least I think I do.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i was all set to use a cable to transfer from my S21 Ultra to the new S22 Ultra because of all the suggestions here to use a cable, however, the quick start guide AND the on screen smart transfer app BOTH SAID specifically that "wireless preferred"!!

with that, i felt that i had to use wireless for this transfer since it specifically states wireless is preferred over cable.

is it possible that most of our thoughts and ideas are dated and that with the current bluetooth/wifi6, that wireless transfer is actually as blazingly fast as cable???

thanks

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
i was all set to use a cable to transfer from my S21 Ultra to the new S22 Ultra because of all the suggestions here to use a cable, however, the quick start guide AND the on screen smart transfer app BOTH SAID specifically that "wireless preferred"!!

with that, i felt that i had to use wireless for this transfer since it specifically states wireless is preferred over cable.

is it possible that most of our thoughts and ideas are dated and that with the current bluetooth/wifi6, that wireless transfer is actually as blazingly fast as cable???

thanks

It's not that wireless doesn't work for SmartSwitch, it's just that more errors can occur with stuff not being transferred over using the wireless method.

After losing my whole calendar with the S20 Ultra transfer over, and then not realizing it before I factory reset my S10+ (getting it ready to be sent back to Samsung), I will personally never use the wireless method.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Just completed the Smart Switch wirelessly from S20+ to the S22U. It is super convenient but kinda takes some of the fun out of that "first day" tinkering.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just completed the Smart Switch wirelessly from S20+ to the S22U. It is super convenient but kinda takes some of the fun out of that "first day" tinkering.
Even with a smart switch move, there's still plenty to do manually. In my case I had a 90 minute smart switch transfer (about 100GB of data), following by a 3 hour "organizing data" session (my 10s of thousands of sms messages that the phone was reorganizing). Only then did my oneui homescreen return to the layout I had on my S21U. After this I still had to re-login to nearly every app and go through settings to find the different settings that didn't move, etc. And I had to re-pair BT to all devices and setup phone security again. It:s a process no matter how you slice it!

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Even with a smart switch move, there's still plenty to do manually. In my case I had a 90 minute smart switch transfer (about 100GB of data), following by a 3 hour "organizing data" session (my 10s of thousands of sms messages that the phone was reorganizing). Only then did my oneui homescreen return to the layout I had on my S21U. After this I still had to re-login to nearly every app and go through settings to find the different settings that didn't move, etc. And I had to re-pair BT to all devices and setup phone security again. It:s a process no matter how you slice it!

I usually go through and delete my texts daily. I cannot stand having all those messages in there. Dates back to my Blackberry days when you had to clear them out or they bogged down the phone. I just like a clean slate in there.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I usually go through and delete my texts daily. I cannot stand having all those messages in there. Dates back to my Blackberry days when you had to clear them out or they bogged down the phone. I just like a clean slate in there.
That's exactly what I'm going to do when my S22 Ultra arrives. I also came from Blackberry over 10 years ago.

I'm going to go a step further than you by not transferring settings, just apps. I'll be going from an S10+ to an S22 Ultra, so I want to figure out how I want to organise my home screens on a larger device that comes with an S Pen.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Which is best to do before transfer

Leave your sim in your old phone or move it to your new phone

Or just pull it all together then transfer

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Which is best to do before transfer

Leave your sim in your old phone or move it to your new phone

Or just pull it all together then transfer
I always transfer all my stuff over to the new phone before I put the SIM over ... I like to have everything work in properly before I fully commit to the new phone

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
waiting for my S22 Ultra to be delivered today. backed up phone. Was wondering, does home screen layout carry over?

I know I may have to reenter passwords and set up MFA again. Or at least I think I do.

Mine didn't this time, I used wired from S21U to S22U thinking that it would be the best and fastest way to transfer. It was a pain in the butt afterwards and what it did transfer what I was left with was basically a fresh phone with just phone numbers and messages carried over, I had to pretty much set up everything else like being setup from scratch, grr.

However I went from a Tab S6 to Tab S8U using wireless smartswitch and that did in fact carry over my homescreen and apps so I would suggest trying it wirelessly. Wireless was also just as fast as wired it seemed.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Just watched a video on you tube, recommended to put in Sims card to new phone before transferring,.
what do you'll recommend?
I've never set up a phone before. 😏

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Just watched a video on you tube, recommended to put in Sims card to new phone before transferring,.
what do you'll recommend?
I've never set up a phone before. ������

i agree. as per the quick start guide inside the S22 Ultra's box, it also said put sim card in the new phone first.

it might be true that it doesn't matter that much? i don't know for certain, but it makes sense that the target phone, i.e. new phone, has connectivity to the towers so when the settings are transferred in, it makes sense to the new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332