S22 ultra / smart switch

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Just watched a video on you tube, recommended to put in Sims card to new phone before transferring,.
what do you'll recommend?
I've never set up a phone before. ??????

I honestly don't think it matters that much. I think I usually switch after, but to be honest I don't have a set method like others do. I tend to do it a little differently every time.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
After I had the phone set up the way I wanted it and finally swapped the SIM all I had to do was reboot the phone and my Verizon was all ready.. Wi-Fi calling everything is good to go...

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just watched a video on you tube, recommended to put in Sims card to new phone before transferring,.
what do you'll recommend?
I've never set up a phone before. ??????

The S22 won't progress through setup until you move your SIM. So, I suggest to move it over and at same time use smart switch to backup your old device (I use the PC version of smart switch). This way you can begin using your new device while you're transferring data over. Just be aware if you have lots of data, like I do (about 100GB moved), it can take upwards of 2-3 hours to move data using smart switch then the phone goes through its "processing and organizing data" after smart switch completes. At least it did that for me because I have nearly a 1GB of text messages I move from device to device.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
The S22 won't progress through setup until you move your SIM. So, I suggest to move it over and at same time use smart switch to backup your old device (I use the PC version of smart switch). This way you can begin using your new device while you're transferring data over. Just be aware if you have lots of data, like I do (about 100GB moved), it can take upwards of 2-3 hours to move data using smart switch then the phone goes through its "processing and organizing data" after smart switch completes. At least it did that for me because I have nearly a 1GB of text messages I move from device to device.
@claykin: i agree. the processing and organizing data part is extremely important and essential because ONLY AFTER that was completed, did i have my wallpaper, my apps organized the way i had it on all the pages on my desktop.

yes, that organizing part took additional time AFTER the transferring was completed, which was an additional bummer to have to wait longer.

what is silly about this is that Samsung provided NO DOCUMENTATION or instructions detailing what we SHOULD EXPECT! since our expectations have not been set, we were all nervously anticipating the transfer being done and hopefully, this time it would transfer correctly! why in the world did Samsung not provide any documentation detailing what we should expect from this process? weird.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine didn't this time, I used wired from S21U to S22U thinking that it would be the best and fastest way to transfer. It was a pain in the butt afterwards and what it did transfer what I was left with was basically a fresh phone with just phone numbers and messages carried over, I had to pretty much set up everything else like being setup from scratch, grr.

However I went from a Tab S6 to Tab S8U using wireless smartswitch and that did in fact carry over my homescreen and apps so I would suggest trying it wirelessly. Wireless was also just as fast as wired it seemed.

Mine actually did. I got basically a direct port of my S20+ over to the S22U.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
so what's the consensus here regarding doing smart switch wirelessly AS THEY RECOMMENDED IN THE QUICK START GUIDE,
or maybe doing it via a cable is actually superior, despite the suggestion in the quick start guide?

is there a consensus yet?

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
@claykin: i agree. the processing and organizing data part is extremely important and essential because ONLY AFTER that was completed, did i have my wallpaper, my apps organized the way i had it on all the pages on my desktop.

yes, that organizing part took additional time AFTER the transferring was completed, which was an additional bummer to have to wait longer.

what is silly about this is that Samsung provided NO DOCUMENTATION or instructions detailing what we SHOULD EXPECT! since our expectations have not been set, we were all nervously anticipating the transfer being done and hopefully, this time it would transfer correctly! why in the world did Samsung not provide any documentation detailing what we should expect from this process? weird.

I agree. I noticed the "organizing" part in the notification blind so I decided to be patient. Plus I knew something wasn't right because my oneui home page layout didn't seem to transfer. However, once the "optimizing" completed, all looked as it should. Smart Switch seems to have done a good job moving me over to the S22U. But it's a process and takes hours to re-login to apps, etc..

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I noticed the "organizing" part in the notification blind so I decided to be patient. Plus I knew something wasn't right because my oneui home page layout didn't seem to transfer. However, once the "optimizing" completed, all looked as it should. Smart Switch seems to have done a good job moving me over to the S22U. But it's a process and takes hours to re-login to apps, etc..
@claykin: may i ask if you used wireless or cable to do the smart switch?

the quick start guide specifically say that "wireless is preferred". i'm wondering if many folks' ideas of what wireless transfer is might be dated, and that currently, wireless transfer might be equally as fast as cable transfer without increased risks.

don't these transfers have ways to compare bitstream flows for errors and will go back to the errors and re-stream those parts? isn't it like one of those "check sums" that pc's use to ensure proper transfer of everything?

thanks.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
@claykin: may i ask if you used wireless or cable to do the smart switch?

the quick start guide specifically say that "wireless is preferred". i'm wondering if many folks' ideas of what wireless transfer is might be dated, and that currently, wireless transfer might be equally as fast as cable transfer without increased risks.

don't these transfers have ways to compare bitstream flows for errors and will go back to the errors and re-stream those parts? isn't it like one of those "check sums" that pc's use to ensure proper transfer of everything?

thanks.

I use Smart Switch (PC). I backup the old device then restore to the new device. I find it easier and a bit safer since I have a backup stored on my PC.

Just be patient when it says transfer completed. The phone still needs to organize the data. Just wait, be patient and don't reboot until it's completed.

Wireless or wired should be fine if you prefer to use Smart Switch app. Just make sure both devices have the latest version.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Smart Switch for a long time.
I stopped using cables or over the air backups to setup a new phone.
I use a USB drive and the USB-C doohickey (technical term ) in the pictures below.
This doohickey used to come with every Samsung phone.

It is so much faster this way and I have an encrypt copy of my backup i can restore from anywhere.
The beautiful thing about the local encrypted backup is it saves all the application passwords. No need to enter passwords after you restore.

a0d613bd0f8650e7adbf4458453943b8.jpg

7a669f77e909d7728b416501a5596982.jpg

c3f2b108b8ad92ed7fe583e66b820bad.jpg

Last edited:

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Smart Switch (PC). I backup the old device then restore to the new device. I find it easier and a bit safer since I have a backup stored on my PC.

Just be patient when it says transfer completed. The phone still needs to organize the data. Just wait, be patient and don't reboot until it's completed.

Wireless or wired should be fine if you prefer to use Smart Switch app. Just make sure both devices have the latest version.

would you know if wireless (as they said this is preferred) or cable is faster in terms of the transfer?

thanks.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My old phone is note 10+ and has a sd card in it. Tried to open sim card, to take sd card out. Can't get it open. 😠

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
this is so depressing. I switched my son to a new iphone. it was stupid easy. Google, Samsung et al really do need to get their stuff together.

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Wireless switch worked perfectly. Only had to enter in passwords and a few settings to apps.

Copied all my SD card files over as well

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
so what's the consensus here regarding doing smart switch wirelessly AS THEY RECOMMENDED IN THE QUICK START GUIDE,
or maybe doing it via a cable is actually superior, despite the suggestion in the quick start guide?

is there a consensus yet?
I did neither. I backed up my old phone using desktop PC Smart Switch. Then I connected the new phone using Smart Switch and restored. So it was wired but using the PC app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did neither. I backed up my old phone using desktop PC Smart Switch. Then I connected the new phone using Smart Switch and restored. So it was wired but using the PC app.
Smart Switch PC is the way I do it Plus it has your pictures and videos which Samsung account can't back up anymore

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards