S3 keeps restarting at Galaxy S3 screen

Sublyminal

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
So here's the skinny. Was at work about three nights ago, bout to clock out for the night, noticed that I had a text. Went to check the text, noticed that the phone was legit frozen. As had happened before, I popped the back off and took the battery out put it back in went to restart and got nothing. Figured maybe the battery was dead, tried plugging it into the charger, no LED lights came on period to indicate battery was charging. Found my spare battery and tried to boot the phone, Samsung screen comes up, then the Galaxy S3 screen shows and bam, reboot. Tried going into restore mode and it does the same thing, shows the samsung screen and reboots.

My phone isn't rooted, isn't running on hacked roms or anything, so my question is, is the piece of **** dead? I don't know what else to do.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So here's the skinny. Was at work about three nights ago, bout to clock out for the night, noticed that I had a text. Went to check the text, noticed that the phone was legit frozen. As had happened before, I popped the back off and took the battery out put it back in went to restart and got nothing. Figured maybe the battery was dead, tried plugging it into the charger, no LED lights came on period to indicate battery was charging. Found my spare battery and tried to boot the phone, Samsung screen comes up, then the Galaxy S3 screen shows and bam, reboot. Tried going into restore mode and it does the same thing, shows the samsung screen and reboots.

My phone isn't rooted, isn't running on hacked roms or anything, so my question is, is the piece of **** dead? I don't know what else to do.

Welcome to the forums.
When you say you went into restore mode, do you mean recovery?

Sublyminal

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
When you say you went into restore mode, do you mean recovery?

Yep, that's what I meant. Went into recovery mode. Well it showed recovery mode in blue and then rebooted, even after I released all 3 buttons together. The phone shows the Samsung logo and the S3 logo screen just before it decides to crap out again.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that's what I meant. Went into recovery mode. Well it showed recovery mode in blue and then rebooted, even after I released all 3 buttons together. The phone shows the Samsung logo and the S3 logo screen just before it decides to crap out again.

What version of Android are you on?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just updated to 4.3 iirc. This thing has refused to go pass that galaxy s 3 screen in three days now. I've tried hard-resets, tried getting into recovery mode to clear cache nothing seems to help.

Have you tried pulling the batter for about 15 minutes?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How can I tell? Also would that stop it from charging?

Not sure about that, but it might explain the constant reboots. Also something to check...is the battery bulged? Take it out and spin it on a smooth surface. If it does, it needs to be replaced.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Sublyminal

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about that, but it might explain the constant reboots. Also something to check...is the battery bulged? Take it out and spin it on a smooth surface. If it does, it needs to be replaced.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Nope, brand new battery. Was one of the first things I actually replaced to make sure.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Any way to tell whether that is the cause?

I think the plastic backing is only held on by screws. If so, and you are not under warranty, I would lift it off, and see if that exposes more of the power button. Maybe it's as simple as a foreign object or something.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Any way to tell whether that is the cause?
It doesn't sound like the Power switch is the culprit - you noted above that with the phone completely off, if you connect the charger it shows the normal battery graphic. In cases where the Power switch is stuck, as soon as you insert the battery the phone powers on.

Unfortunately I have no great suggestions for you - since the phone won't stay in Download mode there's no way to reload the firmware.

You could try a JTAG service (ex: http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/).

I did see some guy post that he just let the phone continue rebooting until the battery was completely dead. Then he removed the battery for a couple of hours, reinserted it and fully charged the phone before attempting to turn it on again, and it worked normally. YMMV.

You could try pulling the SIM card and SD card and see if it boots normally.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles