Screen brightness.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys I just got the Pixel 7 Pro last week and I was using an S22 Ultra before that (I still have it, as it is a work phone I was using dual sim). I have noticed if I have the S22 Ultra and the Pixel 7 Pro both at 100% brightness they look almost identical to my eyes in terms of brightness and readability. However I was able to keep the S22 Ultra around 30-40% with adaptive brightness on and have it still comfortable to read for my preferences. However on the Pixel 7 Pro I find that I have to have the brightness around around 60-70% with adaptive brightness on to achieve the same look as the S22 Ultra. It seems to me that the Pixel 7 Pro drops brightness much faster on the slider than the S22 Ultra does?

Does this sound normal? Has anyone else noticed the same thing? I normally keep my brightness well below 50% in most settings and adaptive brightness on to save battery. But it seems the Pixel 7 Pro display has a different dimming algorithm than the S22 Ultra does. Was just curious if anyone else noticed the same? I think the display is fine and the quality is very similar to the S22 Ultra but it seems I will have to keep it at a brighter setting (using more battery) than I did the S22 Ultra to achieve the same.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Just for my experience, on my pixel 7 or any other pixel for that matter I've never been able to use adaptive brightness successfully. I find it to be quite annoying and generally keep my brightness set at about 90% and it works much better. Adapted brightness would dim when I don't want it to dim and I'd always be fiddling with it. So I don't use it, works much better without it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't compare with an S22, but I can say that I've never noticed my 7 Pro dimming unwantedly. I do have a Galaxy A32 5G, and that phone's Adaptive Brightness is pretty lousy -- it's often too dim for the lighting. But I doubt that phone uses the same hardware or software algorithm as the S22.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I am not saying it dims unwantedly. What I am saying is that I will had adaptive brightness on and it will be at around 40-50% based off of that, but if I adjust it up higher it will stay there and then in similar lighting conditions be at that brightness and fine.

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned adaptive brightness at all.

Mainly if you have the S22 at 50% brightness it will be much brighter than the Pixel 7 Pro at 50% brightness. If you put them both at 100% they are comparable, as you lower the brightness the Pixel gets dimmer much faster than the S22 Ultra does. That was what I was saying. At 30-40% the S22 Ultra is similar to the Pixel 7 Pro at about 65%.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I can’t 100% say that the dimming on the Pixel phone is definitely not the best for my liking and definitely not on par with Samsung. The Pixel adaptive brightness dims the screen a lot more and always has just been one of the complaints. I’ve always had with Google. I do think the P7P is better than previous.

Technerd71

Dec 17, 2022
Visit site
I understand completely what you are asking and it is normal. I had an iPhone 13 Pro Max and have a Samsung Galaxy s22 plus and on both of those phones I kept screen brightness set to around 50-60% and with the Pixel 7 Pro I am set at 70-80% to get the same level of brightness. I don't use adaptive display as it drives me crazy.

So yes the screen brightness level as a sliding scale seems to be different than other phones.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I understand completely what you are asking and it is normal. I had an iPhone 13 Pro Max and have a Samsung Galaxy s22 plus and on both of those phones I kept screen brightness set to around 50-60% and with the Pixel 7 Pro I am set at 70-80% to get the same level of brightness. I don't use adaptive display as it drives me crazy.

So yes the screen brightness level as a sliding scale seems to be different than other phones.
It's a little weird but so far the changes I've made had the brightness where I want it and battery life seems to be ok.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Technerd71

Dec 17, 2022
Visit site
That has been my experience as well. I was expecting poor battery life because I use it at a high setting but it seems fine.

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
On my S21 I used Blue light filter and Auto brightness and never touched the brightness slider even once in over a year. I have a 7 Pro and was using Night Light and Adaptive Brightness. I had turn them off

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I mostly find the auto brightness annoying when I'm home. I generally want the brightness around 75% at home but it gets annoying when it dims down so much when I'm sitting on my couch. Manually adjusting it from the pull down is only temporary whereas on my S22 plus, it would stay where I put it. I wonder if there is a Macro droid or tasker recipe to turn off auto brightness when I get home?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
First thing I do is toggle adaptive brightness OFF. 50%-60% seems about ideal for me anyway so I set it manually.

I took my Pixel 5 off the charging stand yesterday at 9:00 AM and put it back on the charger (1st gen) just after midnight. Still at 75% with light to moderate usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali