Setting 50/200 MP Camera Setting as Default doesnt work?

Ryu69

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi. I notice in the camera app, if I set the resolutation to 50 or 200 MP at 3:4 and exit out of the app and come back it, it doesn't stay at this setting but defaults back to the normal 12 MP setting for 3:4. Is this by design or is there something I am missing to get the default to change? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
If you fully close the app (i.e. kill the process), it will default back to 12.5MP. If you just minimize the app and leave the camera app open in the background, which is fine to do, it will retain the higher resolution choice. There is no option I'm aware of to change the default to 50/200MP when you open the app after closing it down entirely. If you really want 50MP to be the default, there is no disadvantage to leaving the camera open indefinitely and that should do it for you.

Honestly you probably don't want it to default to 50MP anyway, unless you are always doing heavy cropping, making a print, etc., and even then you would be better off shooting a RAW image and processing that manually if your end goal was a print. 12.5MP is more than enough for most situations, but of course it's great to have the options. The 12.5MP mode also allows for 16:1 pixel binning which gives you the best low light performance on the main camera.

Ryu69

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I wonder why they changed this as for the s22 Ultra, the 108 MP resolution setting was able to be defaults.

John Crane3

Feb 17, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I wonder why they changed this as for the s22 Ultra, the 108 MP resolution setting was able to be defaults.
If you go to settings>search camera>camera mode>settings to keep>check high picture resolution.
That way it stays max always.