Share your HTC One (M8) first impressions and personal reviews!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of the M9, I haven't really seen any rumors online about it. Shouldn't it be about time for those to kick in gear?

Yeah the M8 is about 5 months old lol, so in tech world that's ancient! I don't think we will hear much about the m9 until Nov / Dec. Everyone is too busy concentrating on the next batch of phones to come out this year a think :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the M8 is about 5 months old lol, so in tech world that's ancient! I don't think we will hear much about the m9 until Nov / Dec. Everyone is too busy concentrating on the next batch of phones to come out this year a think :)

Still getting used to the Android world. Coming from iOS where iPhone 6S rumors are gonna start before the 6 is even released. In fact I already read about an iPhone 6S rumor. Pretty stupid, but I guess it gets clicks from users so sites post them.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Still getting used to the Android world. Coming from iOS where iPhone 6S rumors are gonna start before the 6 is even released. In fact I already read about an iPhone 6S rumor. Pretty stupid, but I guess it gets clicks from users so sites post them.
In the Android world all the rumors and hype center around the "flagship" phones from each manufacturer. Every manufacturer updates their flagship series once a year (as opposed to iPhone which does the 's' update in 6 months). So the rumors for a specific phone have a little more time to die down.

The 2 exceptions to this are Sony, which does update every 6 months but doesn't have much of a presence in the US, and Samsung, which has 2 flagship lines (the S and the Note) that each get updated each once a year.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I'm not a fan of reading rumours. Most of them turn out to be rubbish :) Android Central are good for some rumours, they usually have a proper source. Personally I can't wait to see the iphone 6 - it looks a cracker. I havent been back to IOS since the Iphone 4, but I'm too invested in Google to leave them now :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not a fan of reading rumours. Most of them turn out to be rubbish :) Android Central are good for some rumours, they usually have a proper source. Personally I can't wait to see the iphone 6 - it looks a cracker. I havent been back to IOS since the Iphone 4, but I'm too invested in Google to leave them now :)

That's my only hesitation with moving to Android. I don't use any Google services. I don't even use them for search. I use Duck Duck Go. Having been in iOS for 6 yrs, I have tons of money invested in iOS, but I'm gonna give Android a shot anyway. Just hoping for the best. ??????

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
That's my only hesitation with moving to Android. I don't use any Google services. I don't even use them for search. I use Duck Duck Go. Having been in iOS for 6 yrs, I have tons of money invested in iOS, but I'm gonna give Android a shot anyway. Just hoping for the best. ������

The good thing about Android is that you don't need to use any of the Google apps - sure it will make your life easier if you do use them, but they are totally optional. I was actually commenting on a previous post where the user had created his Android phone Google free. No apps or anything related to Google installed

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
In the Android world all the rumors and hype center around the "flagship" phones from each manufacturer. Every manufacturer updates their flagship series once a year (as opposed to iPhone which does the 's' update in 6 months). So the rumors for a specific phone have a little more time to die down.

The 2 exceptions to this are Sony, which does update every 6 months but doesn't have much of a presence in the US, and Samsung, which has 2 flagship lines (the S and the Note) that each get updated each once a year.

They don't release S models every 6 months. There's a new iPhone once a year.

iPhone 2g: 2007
iPhone 3G: 2008
iPhone 3GS: 2009
iPhone 4: 2010
iPhone 4S: 2011
iPhone 5: 2012
iPhone 5S/5C: 2013 (5C is basically just a repackaged iPhone 5 with minor differences)
iPhone 6: 2014

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
They don't release S models every 6 months. There's a new iPhone once a year.

iPhone 2g: 2007
iPhone 3G: 2008
iPhone 3GS: 2009
iPhone 4: 2010
iPhone 4S: 2011
iPhone 5: 2012
iPhone 5S/5C: 2013 (5C is basically just a repackaged iPhone 5 with minor differences)
iPhone 6: 2014
I stand corrected

PerfectCr

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I just recently switched back to Android. I've owned every iPhone since the original in 07, plus a six month stint with the Galaxy S3 in 2012. I won't rehash all of the excellent points that have already been made in this thread about the M8. I spent 1 week with the M8, and one week with the S5. I decided on the M8, and for me....it comes down to THE LITTLE THINGS that the M8 simply does better. (Some of this can be chalked up to Touchwiz vs Sense)

Why I chose the M8:

- Speakers are amazing, and front facing. I can actually hear them in the car driving to work or when the phone is flat on its back.

- Motion launch is so convenient I wonder how I never had this before.

- Music does not stop when receiving an incoming notification like it does on the S5. Huge annoyance at the gym to have the music stop when an email or any other notification comes in.

- Default vibration for email and notifications is tolerable vs the overly/uncomfortably long S5 vibration.

- Sense seems to allow apps to use their own custom notification sounds (Words with Friends and ESPN) where Touchwiz does not.

- Lock screen email notifications are supported on the M8.

- Separation of Lock Screen and Security Screen. On the S5 if a security Pin was set, upon wake up you were taken directly to the pin entry (Security) screen and the lock screen is disabled.

- On the S5, if you open the camera app from the lock screen, and the phone is locked, Geo-Tagging of those pics is disabled. Super annoying as you have to then reenable that setting when you open the camera app again when the phone is unlocked.

- In Sense, the Ringtone and Notification volume adjustments are linked vs the S5 where you needed an app to make this happen. Love this on the M8.

- On the M8 you can adjust the ringtone/notification volume direcrly from the lock screen (when the screen is on) without needing to unlock the phone first. Extremely convenient.

- Brightness transitions are more smooth on auto-brightness vs the S5 where the brightness changes are immediate and jarring.

- Waaaay less bloat. Samsung tries to throw all of their own crap at you like S-Voice, their own app store, etc.

- Screen. LCD is simply more sharp vs the SuperAMOLED. Reading on the phone is a joy.

-The M8 is way more snappy and fast than the S5. I even disabled animations in the S5 and it still lagged especially when switching apps.

Those are just a few little things that drove me to the M8.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Last week I purchased the Verizon M8. My contract had been up for a month or so, and I had already decided on the M8 over the GS5 and the G3, but I was waiting for the Moto X and iPhone reveals to make my final choice. This is a bit long, but I wanted to write it all out for the help it may provide others, as well as to provide me a chance to second guess my choice before my return window is up.

My previous phone was the Galaxy S3. It had been a solid performer for two years, but started showing signs that a replacement would be needed. The headphone jack was starting to fail, and the accelerometer would go nuts ever 5 seconds or so, making navigation a frustrating experience. (the map would spin around every few seconds even if the phone was sitting still on a table)

I had decided against the GS5 almost solely due to Touchwiz. While I wasn't thrilled with the build/material quality of the GS5, it wasn't a deal breaker. But over the two years with my Galaxy S3, Touchwiz went in a direction I didn't like. It seemed to get heavier and heavier, constantly adding stuff that I had no intention of using. Even though I use Nova Launcher, Touchwiz was still pushing it's disagreeable design elements on me.

The LG G3 was a strong contender, but I felt the incredible screen resolution, while definitely beautiful to gaze at, was simply a waste of both battery life and CPU power. The 720 resolution of my Galaxy S3 was perfectly adequate for me. If the G3 had a 1080 screen, it probably would've made my choice a lot harder. LG's UI skinning wasn't as obnoxious as Samsung's, but it wasn't great either.

There was a lot to like about the Moto X. Some of the features were lost on me, like voice recognition and IR gestures, but I liked the Active Display from the previous Motorola phones. Mostly stock Android was a definite plus, and the build/material quality looked top notch. The front facing speaker was something I decided would be important to me sometime last year when I realized how silly it was that the screen and the speaker on my GS3 pointed opposite directions. All in all, the Moto X had much of what I wanted, but it had 2 deficiencies for me. The first battery tests showed that it didn't seem to last as long as it's peers, and it was lacking an SD card slot.

The SD card slot isn't important to a lot of people, but it is for me. It's not so much the extra storage space, though that's definitely a bonus. It's the ability to easily remove my pictures/data from the phone, even if the phone is dead. I've never needed to remove pictures/data from a dead phone, but I've also never had a hard drive crash that required a restore from backup, yet I still back up my computer. I don't trust or rely on services like Dropbox or Google Drive. I've always viewed uploading data to "cloud" services as making that data publicly available, since once it's out of my control, it's out of my control.

I was a little sad the Moto X didn't have an SD card slot, especially since the Moto G did. If it did, I would've waited to see the Moto X in person before deciding which phone to purchase.

I then waited for the iPhone to be announced, but it would've taken a lot for me to switch to the Apple ecosystem. I regularly deal with iPhones for work, and I can see their allure, but all things being equal, I prefer Android.

So I bought the HTC One M8. My biggest gripe so far was noticed right away. Coming from the GS3, and the HTC Incredible before that, I had taken for granted the deep blacks their AMOLED screens produced. After a week, I've found that the loss of deep blacks is a suitable trade off for a screen that is much more visible in daylight.

Battery life has been exceptional. Things that normally crushed my GS3 battery are handled with ease on the M8. An example is streaming audio and browsing the web while riding lightrail. Switching towers, struggling for connection, and dropping to 3g always seemed to conspire to take 30% of my GS3's battery after a 45 minute ride. The M8 only gave up 15%. On a heavy use day, my GS3 would go through 130% of battery. (I have a stock spare) I've only had one really heavy use day with the M8 so far, but I plugged in that night with ~25% left. On regular use days, I've had about 50% remaining at the end of the day. I will end up buying a portable battery/charger to throw in my bag for emergencies, but I've been thoroughly impressed so far with the battery.

My use case for a phone camera has changed since I bought the GS3. Then, my phone was my only camera, so I required a decent all around shooter. I had originally purchased a RAZR M, but returned it for a GS3 after a week due to sub-par quality of the pictures the RAZR M produced. I've since purchased a nice mirrorless camera, so camera quality wasn't a major concern when choosing a phone this time. That said, the M8's camera appears to be tailored specifically for what I would use it for now. I'm finding that when I want to take a picture with my phone rather than my camera, it's usually in a low light, indoor, social occasion. I've only done test shots with the M8 so far, but it's low light capability is really quite good. Especially using manual settings. I haven't played much with the Duo camera features, but they seemed of limited use for me. Maybe that will change after I've played a bit.

Most of my media consumption on a phone is with headphones attached, but there are times when that isn't the case. The thought of front facing speakers seems like such a no brainer now. My guess is most phones will have them within the next product cycle or two. Even moving the POS speaker from my GS3 to the front would've made a huge difference, but the sound quality of the M8 speakers is very impressive. I would have to guess that these are the best sounding speakers on any phone.

I played a bit with the IR Blaster for controlling my TV/DirecTV, and it actually works pretty well. They put more thought into the app than I would've expected. I figured they would cobble together a simple app so they could check a box on the marketing materials, but they went a lot further. Not only does it flawlessly control my generic brand TV and my DirecTV box, but it pulls in TV listings from the channels I receive and allows me to easily select a program to watch, changing the channel automatically. Realistically, I don't know if I'd want to use my phone to replace my real remote control, but I got more than I expected.

The latest Sense UI isn't bad. Rather than use Nova Launcher and I had been, I tried using Sense for a couple days. It's not bad, but I prefer the customizations available in Nova. The bits that aren't hidden by Nova, like the notification drawer and the settings menu are functional, understated, and much more pleasing to the eye than the Touchwiz bits from my GS3.

The area below the screen with the HTC logo feels to me like they decided to go with onscreen buttons late in the design process, and that the area was originally intended for capacitive buttons like the M7. This seems to be the only real flaw that I can see in the physical design of the phone. Personally, I'm not really a fan of onscreen buttons. Not so much because they waste screen space, but because they disappear in some apps. They reappear when you press where they should be, but this is awkward and can have some unintended consequences. Like in the Gallery app, they disappear, and when you press the corner where the back button should be located to get them to reappear, your finger is perilously close the the Delete image button. I'd rather these navigation buttons be completely off the screen, and seeing the strip below the screen that could so easily have capacitive buttons makes me dream of what could've been. I'm sure I'll get used to on screen buttons, though.

Call quality seems to be pretty good, at least as good as the GS3. Voices sound a little better through the earphone, probably because the fuller range of sound the speakers produce. I'm told I sound clear on the other end, perhaps a little better than before. I get similar signal strength as the GS3, which was never all that bad. The phone drops to 3g in the same places. I've always been a bit jealous of Motorola signal quality, and that probably won't change.

I've purchased and received the Spigen Slim Armor case and Spigen Crystal screen protector. It's kind of a shame to put such a beautiful phone in a case, but at least it's a decent looking case. It doesn't add much bulk, and makes me feel better about putting the phone in situations i know my phone will be in. I'm good about not dropping phones or putting them in my pocket with keys/coins/sand but it's a simple fact with me that it does happen. The case probably means I won't be using the IR Blaster much.

About the only thing I've come across so far that makes me question my decision of purchasing the M8 is the root/ROM situation. The phone had 4.4.3 when it was handed to me, and in my short time researching, I've learned 4.4.3 can't be rooted/unlocked without a $25 program. After 4 years of freedom with rooted/unlocked phones, it feels a little restrictive to not have the capability. I'm not looking for severely modified ROM's, but the WiFi notification gets old REAL quick. Yes, Verizon, I know I'm connected to my home's WiFi. Yes, Verizon, I know there are WiFi networks available that I'm not connecting to on purpose.

One thing that peeved me a bit was when I got my first voicemail. Instead of getting the normal voicemail notification as I was expecting, I got a "Free Text Message" from Verizon notifying me I had a voicemail, and to check Visual Voice Mail to retrieve it. So I did, and in the process, was automatically signed up for the Visual Voice Mail service at $2.99 a month. While it seems like a perfectly acceptable service, and a useful added feature for voicemail, I didn't want it, and was basically forced/duped into signing up for it. I'd sooner pay $2.99/mo to disable the WiFi notification. I've removed the Visual Voice Mail service from my account, and voicemail notifications are now received normally.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the phone. I haven't run across anything that makes me think I wouldn't be happy with the phone long term. If you've read this far, hopefully some of this helps you.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn between m8 and moto x. What makes me lean toward m8 is the boom sound. I listen to tons of music thru my phone. Currently I have an iPhone 5 on Verizon. My contract isn't up till march. But I'm so eager to do an early upgrade. Although my contract ending in march would fall right in line for a rumored m9 prime release. Decision decisions!!