Share your HTC One (M8) first impressions and personal reviews!

kurosenpai

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Bought this phone on september and i personally think its the most snappiest, absolutely fast, no lag, smooth as hell phone. Its even faster than my mom iPhone 5s. If you hoping for bigger res camera, 5" display, fitness thingy, water proof, this is not for you. But if you want fast, responsive, very nice looking lcd, damn *** good front facing speakers, good front camera, sexy design, sd card slot this is the phone for you.
My first impression after coming from note 3 was like this phone is so damn fast, no freakin lag at all, small screen compare to note 3 but very sharp and balance color, the camera is fast, the pictures it took is decent, but not bad, low light is amazing, very hard to type at first because i came from bigger phone, speakers are wow, design is sexy but kinda slipery, but holding it feels so premium.

rm05

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Had mine about 2 weeks now and I like it a lot, replacing an iPhone 5 which was an excellent phone too IMO. Some things I like about the M8:

- RF performance. Really impressive on my network (Three UK). I've been comparing the M8 with the iPhone 5 side by side in fringe areas, and the M8 is quite a bit more sensitive, often working where my old iPhone 5 reports no service. Even right at the limit before drop out the call remains usable and not too 'clangy'. For me that was worth the switch alone, since the Three network is notorious for poor indoors reception. It's enough to make all the difference between having a working phone and a paperweight at times... Also, the screen's notification icons are cool, since I can now tell when my phone is sending or receiving data, and the type of network access (3G/H/H+/4G/ Roaming, etc). I know that's on most if not all Androids but you don't get any of that on an iPhone and I think it's important on a top end phone, as is the notification LED - again absent on the iPhone. Basically the phone side of the M8 is excellent - call audio etc. Even better than the iPhone 5.

- Screen. Good quality and size. Slightly over-sensitive maybe. Colours not over-saturated like on the Samsungs.

- Speakers. USP of the M8. Work really well considering the size. Not too tinny to make music unlistenable, and good on speakerphone.

- Battery life. Seems quite reasonable. Been using it a lot since it's a new toy and getting easily a full day, but when the novelty wears off I expect I'll get about 3 days no problem if I lay off the internet side (That's what I got on the iPhone).

Not so good? Well I found Android to require some work and research to get running in an acceptable way - ie, with a LOT of stuff switched off or disabled, where at all possible. Basically there is too much bloat and unnecessary functions for my liking, more so than with iOS.. Just wasting battery life and slowing the phone down. I'd like a more minimalist experience but don't wanna go down the root avenue... So glad now I didn't but the Samsung S5 as I know I would have hated all that 'Touchwiz' nonsense! The M8 could be much better if some of that stuff could just be removed easily. IMO.

The camera? Adequate. Pictures are fine viewed on the screen, and that's good enough for my uses, but video exposure is often noticeably notchy I have found - the light levels clearly step up and down when panning, not smooth like the iPhone's video.

Overall then pleased I made the swap. It's a very powerful phone and I doubt I'd have been happier with its competitors.

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Sitting at my desk trying to figure out how it's possible for something to have gotten underneath the glass of the duo camera.... 😠

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Got an M8 from work. The hardware's ok, but they gave me a windows phone version that sucks big time. Came on here looking to find out what kind of case to get.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Got an M8 from work. The hardware's ok, but they gave me a windows phone version that sucks big time. Came on here looking to find out what kind of case to get.

If you really have to use a case (it defeats the design of a smartphone, but that's my opinion) get the Spigen Crystal Clear. At least you will not hide it´s beauty.