Shared Data Package

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I had a math fail I came to correct, but I had to comment on your commitment to typing up a small graph. Not bad. The unlimited text only applies once though, it's unlimited for the entire family on one fee, not for each phone.

I understand where you are coming from, and like I just posted: I'll keep unlimited too, even though I could save money switching and don't use that much data. I like having it "just in case".

Either way, I think my phone bill is way too much, but I like my phones.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Not to get personal, but what is using most of the data? I know my son likes to stream form NetFlix and that uses a lot. But that's only when he is away form home and not near wf-fi.

our router crapped out and i was too lazy to go get another one. going to pick one up today though, but still, we work 8-12 hours a day and are no where near wifi.

going to the gym and streaming music/video
at work streaming music
downloading games/music/movies
wifi hotspot

i can keep going...

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

I understand where you are coming from, and like I just posted: I'll keep unlimited too, even though I could save money switching and don't use that much data. I like having it "just in case".

Either way, I think my phone bill is way too much, but I like my phones.

Agreed. I just commited to the Razr Maxx and was loving it this past week. Now I look at it like its days are numbered until unlimited is truly dead.
I wish I could take this phone with me on other carriers :'(

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I just commited to the Razr Maxx and was loving it this past week. Now I look at it like its days are numbered until unlimited is truly dead.
I wish I could take this phone with me on other carriers :'(

I wish Verizon would run a promo to get unlimited data with a specific phone. The Maxx would have worked good for that, with the good battery life and all. Maxx battery, Maxx data, etc.

Snowcrash45

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
These plans save me cash. I never use even half my gigs and neither does my wife. It will save me about 10$ a month. You pigs purposely using data plans instead of wifi just because you had unlimited data are to blame. Maybe my speeds will increase also because all the unlimiteds sitting home watching movies on the phone will stop. I'm saving money. I'm happy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
These plans save me cash. I never use even half my gigs and neither does my wife. It will save me about 10$ a month. You pigs purposely using data plans instead of wifi just because you had unlimited data are to blame. Maybe my speeds will increase also because all the unlimiteds sitting home watching movies on the phone will stop. I'm saving money. I'm happy.

Yikes! Tell us how you really feel :)

Like @Dovahkiin said, we were offered unlimited data, keyword being unlimited. I do agree that some users do abuse that term purposely. Verizon pushes things like NetFlix, Pandora, GPS Navigation. All these things use data. So if I have unlimited data, I'm going to use them. There is no part of my contract that says I must use wf-fi if available. I do have unlimited data, but I use wf-fi mostly because it's faster.

It's like a food buffet: some people abuse the "all you can eat", but if the restaurant offers it then there is not much anyone can say.

If you bought a new car and was offered unlimited gas, wouldn't you fill up every chance you get?

My car wash offers unlimited car washes for a monthly fee. I use it as often as possible. I have a garden hose and water/soap as my house, does that mean I shouldn't go to the car wash?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This is what I'm paying now:

$100.00 Nationwide TLK&TXT Share 1400
$9.99 Line Access for Main Line
$29.99 Unlimited Data on Main Line (Avg. about 2GB/mo)
$9.99 Line Access for Second Line
$29.99 Unlimited Data on Second Line (Avg. about 100MB/mo)

$179.96 Total with no tethering (What I'm paying now)
$209.96 Total with tethering on Main Line
$239.96 Total with tethering on Both Lines (Would like tethering, but too costly)

This is what I'd pay with new plan:

$40.00 Smartphone Fee for Main Line
$40.00 Smartphone Fee for Second Line

$130.00 Total with 1 GB Data Plan & Tethering
$140.00 Total with 2 GB Data Plan & Tethering
$150.00 Total with 4 GB Data Plan & Tethering
$160.00 Total with 6 GB Data Plan & Tethering
$170.00 Total with 8 GB Data Plan & Tethering
$180.00 Total with 10 GB Data Plan & Tethering (I can pay what I'm paying now with tethering)

I can get tethering on both lines far cheaper than I can on my current plan.
I'd have to pay $239.96 to get data and tethering on both lines.
I'd only have to pay $180 to get data and tethering on both lines.
Both lines avg. 2-4 GB/mo, so I should be OK.
10 GB should be plenty for both lines on my account.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow... My math from my earlier post was off. I was under the impression that it was $40 for each smartphone for the first 2...then it would be $10 extra for each smartphone...WRONG!!! It's $40 for each smartphone...PERIOD!!! So to add both of my daughters and have them get Smartphones it will cost another $80... It would only cost me $50 to stay with the plan I have now to get 2 data packages for them. Verizon should be ashamed...Classic example of Corporate greed! :mad:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow... My math from my earlier post was off. I was under the impression that it was $40 for each smartphone for the first 2...then it would be $10 extra for each smartphone...WRONG!!! It's $40 for each smartphone...PERIOD!!! So to add both of my daughters and have them get Smartphones it will cost another $80... It would only cost me $50 to stay with the plan I have now to get 2 data packages for them. Verizon should be ashamed...Classic example of Corporate greed! :mad:

Under the current plan, if you add two smartphones for your daughters, if would cost you 10.00 per line + 30.00 for data per line, + a texting plan (20 per line). So you are looking at roughly $110.00 to add those two lines. Add that to your existing $165.00 bill and you are at $275.00.

Under the new plan it would be $160.00 for the 4 smartphones. That includes unlimited minutes and text. Then add a data package, say a 4GB for 70.00. You are at $230.00. So a $45.00 savings. And the bonus is you get the unlimited voice and text, and the mobile hotspot.

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Here is where you aren't going to save anything. I have 2 smartphones with 30 dollar unlimited each PLUS 3 dumbphones.
To get the 2 gig plan it is STILL 60 dollars a Month saving me Zero dollars PLUS cutting my potential usage in Half. You want Math? 1 gig currently cost me 15 dollars, where it will soon cost 30 dollars. Don't you people ever look at Unit Cost when you are shopping?
In addition, additional lines that now cost me 10 bucks, will soon cost me 30 dollars for a GD phone that doesn't even browse the internet or use data.
40+40+30+30+30+60 = 230 - plus all the taxes on the lines.
Thank you Verizon for not even offering me Lube.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter how much you save, it's peace of mind that you lose when you lose unlimited. All month im going to be worried about data. Right now I don't have to worry about finding wifi or think twice about streaming youtube.

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is where you aren't going to save anything. I have 2 smartphones with 30 dollar unlimited each PLUS 3 dumbphones.
To get the 2 gig plan it is STILL 60 dollars a Month saving me Zero dollars PLUS cutting my potential usage in Half. You want Math? 1 gig currently cost me 15 dollars, where it will soon cost 30 dollars. Don't you people ever look at Unit Cost when you are shopping?
In addition, additional lines that now cost me 10 bucks, will soon cost me 30 dollars for a GD phone that doesn't even browse the internet or use data.
40+40+30+30+30+60 = 230 - plus all the taxes on the lines.
Thank you Verizon for not even offering me Lube.

Again, you don't have to switch to the new plan. No one is forcing you. Obviously if it's going to cost you more money then you would keep the current plan.

And what is the fascination there seems to be with this story and lube? It's saving a lot of people money. The people that is doesn't save money for don't have to switch to the new plan. How is this a bad thing??

I just don't get. Are people just complaining to complain? Don't switch to the new plan if you don't want to; it's really that simple.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter how much you save, it's peace of mind that you lose when you lose unlimited. All month im going to be worried about data. Right now I don't have to worry about finding wifi or think twice about streaming youtube.

Which is why I will keep my current plan the way it is. I would save money by switching, but I don't want to give up unlimited. Not that I use a ton of data, I just like to know I have it if needed.

And you don't have to worry about data if you don't switch. I think that's the part people aren't reading. No one is forcing you to this new plan.

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Again, you don't have to switch to the new plan. No one is forcing you. Obviously if it's going to cost you more money then you would keep the current plan.

And what is the fascination there seems to be with this story and lube? It's saving a lot of people money. The people that is doesn't save money for don't have to switch to the new plan. How is this a bad thing??

I just don't get. Are people just complaining to complain? Don't switch to the new plan if you don't want to; it's really that simple.

Actually, you are being forced to. Ever want a new phone that doesn't cost you 500-600 dollars? Then you get the new plan. What about "Unlimited data will be eliminated" is so hard to understand?
And NO ONE is saving money. Read again - Data now cost anyone 15 dollars per unit, with a unit equal to 1 gig. Verizon's voodoo math now says that 1 unit costs 25-30 dollars.
That is not a savings. How is this so hard to understand.

AND - this is supposed to save Family plan people, that is the big publicity selling point. Well I have had 5 lines on Verizon for 6+ years, and 2 lines for the psat 12 years. I am the definition of a Family Plan user, and I am getting screwed.

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Which is why I will keep my current plan the way it is. I would save money by switching, but I don't want to give up unlimited. Not that I use a ton of data, I just like to know I have it if needed.

And you don't have to worry about data if you don't switch. I think that's the part people aren't reading. No one is forcing you to this new plan.

Answer this - How long do you keep a phone? 15-16 months...and then it is an unsupported relic? Guess what - when that GNex or RAZR MAXX is old and clunky in 6 months and you want something new, something that they promise to support This time - well then you LOSE your grandfathered unlimited.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Under the current plan, if you add two smartphones for your daughters, if would cost you 10.00 per line + 30.00 for data per line, + a texting plan (20 per line). So you are looking at roughly $110.00 to add those two lines. Add that to your existing $165.00 bill and you are at $275.00.

Under the new plan it would be $160.00 for the 4 smartphones. That includes unlimited minutes and text. Then add a data package, say a 4GB for 70.00. You are at $230.00. So a $45.00 savings. And the bonus is you get the unlimited voice and text, and the mobile hotspot.

Actually....it would just be the 2 extra data plans ($25 corp discount each) I already pay $25 for the family unlimited texting plan.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually, you are being forced to. Ever want a new phone that doesn't cost you 500-600 dollars? Then you get the new plan. What about "Unlimited data will be eliminated" is so hard to understand?
And NO ONE is saving money. Read again - Data now cost anyone 15 dollars per unit, with a unit equal to 1 gig. Verizon's voodoo math now says that 1 unit costs 25-30 dollars.

AND - this is supposed to save Family plan people, that is the big publicity selling point. Well I have had 5 lines on Verizon for 6+ years, and 2 lines for the psat 12 years. I am the definition of a Family Plan user, and I am getting screwed.

I don't know if it was this post, or another, but I gave an example of saving money. I gave a couple examples of how you could save money in a few other posts. Here's a fact: if I switch to the new plan, I will pay $60.00 less than I do now. I'm not not breaking down my data usage to unit cost. You could do the same with your minutes and text. How many minutes do you have left over each month? I have a ton. Can you imagine my unit cost per minutes used?

In the end, if someone's monthly bill is lower they are happy. Who has ever complained about paying less? And again, you are getting unlimited minutes and text and mobile hotspot. Are you factoring that in? You seem to focus just on data, by you have to look at the whole package.

And you are delusional if you think you don't end up spending $600.00 for you phone because you paid a subsidized cost for it. Think about that $199.99 (or 299.99) phone. Factor in your monthly service, text, data and everything else. You are better off paying full price for the phone in the end.

Snowcrash45

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

I am also the definition of a family plan user. My wife and myself are saving money with the new plans. We have 2 phones. I have 4gig data and she only has 2. We never use half our plans allotment. If I go to new plan 6 gig is same price we pay now. But free hot spot. Drop to 4 gig and we save 10$. Good enough for me.

Just don't switch plans. And when you need new phones feel free to shop around for the best deal. You are free to do so.

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it was this post, or another, but I gave an example of saving money. I gave a couple examples of how you could save money in a few other posts. Here's a fact: if I switch to the new plan, I will pay $60.00 less than I do now. I'm not not breaking down my data usage to unit cost. You could do the same with your minutes and text. How many minutes do you have left over each month? I have a ton. Can you imagine my unit cost per minutes used?

In the end, if someone's monthly bill is lower they are happy. Who has ever complained about paying less? And again, you are getting unlimited minutes and text and mobile hotspot. Are you factoring that in? You seem to focus just on data, by you have to look at the whole package.

And you are delusional if you think you don't end up spending $600.00 for you phone because you paid a subsidized cost for it. Think about that $199.99 (or 299.99) phone. Factor in your monthly service, text, data and everything else. You are better off paying full price for the phone in the end.

How long have you worked as a shill for Verizon?

I gave you just as good of an example of how this DOESN'T save a dime, it in fact costs significantly more.
Unlimited voice and texts? I pay for texts already, and voice is pointless. No one worries about voice anymore.
Shared wiFi? Woop-de-crap, Means nothing to me -and it CONSUMES the now twice as exepnsive Data. How the heck is that a selling point?

So, for your hypothetical example, you save money. For my REALITY, it costs me money.

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am also the definition of a family plan user. My wife and myself are saving money with the new plans. We have 2 phones. I have 4gig data and she only has 2. We never use half our plans allotment. If I go to new plan 6 gig is same price we pay now. But free hot spot. Drop to 4 gig and we save 10$. Good enough for me.

Just don't switch plans. And when you need new phones feel free to shop around for the best deal. You are free to do so.

2 phones. I am talking 5 lines. See the difference? Apples and Oranges.