Smartphones are way too complex and have no instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I'm not even sure where to begin with this topic.

I keep hearing and seeing people say they can do everything with a mobile phone, yet I fail to see how.

So far, phones are extremely limited.

Take gmail for example, mobile devices are extremely watered down shells of gmail. The computer version has things like: trash, attachments, delete, I can create folders, move emails around, archive them, I can even log out.

but on a mobile device every single option I just listed above that's on a computer, doesn't even exist on the mobile version.

Another example is people keep mentioning various other things that there is no way to do. Such as change the back ground picture on their phone, or move around icons Sorry but those are not possible on a mobile device. and i mean teh options for doing that don't even exist on a phone.

On a computer I can right click and select a myriad of options. You cannot right click on a phone.

If I make a mistake on a phone contact, say I misspell a persons name or out the wrong digit, there is no edit option. Instead I have to delete the contact and start over, and hope I don't make a mistake the second time.

There is no way to download any picture from anywhere and save it unless the website the picture is on, allows for it.

I have no alarm, no music, no way to change anything. none of the features people claim a mobile device is supposed to have

The most annoying part about this is whenever I bring up this subject matter, I'll get asked really stupid questions such as did you do (insert whatever) and I'll have no clue what they're even talking about. They act like I'm supposed to know wtf things and statements such as long press, and swipe mean. I don't wtf they're rambling on about how about. I've been told something I was mentioning is in the settings..To which i replied my phone doesn't have a settings option, at least that I am aware of. I then get told it's in your app drawer...It's then i stop listening to them because i realize they're just going to continue on mentioning things as if I have any clue to wtf they're talking about. No I don't know wtf an app drawer is.

Also people keep saying something about google play store (whatever that means) and they say everyone gets their apps from there..I have to stop them because I don't, the one thing I did download was from the website of the place itself.

How about people ask me if I'm aware of something or do i know what (insert word means) instead of just saying random things to me and having me ignore you.

People look at me and say you're a troll, everyone knows how this stuff is done and then I get blocked.

People need to stop assuming things.

The biggest part about this whole mess is there isn't a single instruction booklet anywhere.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Everything you said a smartphone can't do, it can.
Maybe you need a feature phone or
search for beginner how too's on YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If your uncomfortable with smart phones then keep using your computer and just use the smartphone for calls otherwise like mentioned many YouTube videos for beginners then slowly progress from that until you get familiar with smart phones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Gmail app has trash, can attach files and download attachments, can delete emails, can move emails around to different folders (called Labels in Gmail), and can archive them. You're correct in that you can't create a new Label in the Gmail app. Mobile apps do tend to be somewhat less feature-rich than the desktop or web-based version, for various reasons (like to keep the size of the app itself from getting too big, or to prevent the app from getting too unwieldy on mobile). There's also no need to log out of your Gmail account, since it's your own personal phone -- why would you need to log out, unless you were sharing your phone with someone else (which is generally inadvisable, unless you're using multiple user profiles -- and in that situation, the other user would not be accessing your Google or Gmail account anyway).

Changing the background -- i.e., changing the wallpaper on the homescreen or lockscreen -- is absolutely possible on Android, and is one of the most basic functions of the UI (user interface). Or are you talking about the background of the Phone app's in-call UI? Or other app's backgrounds?

The equivalent to right-clicking on a touch-device is long-pressing, which will bring up a context menu if available.

What Contacts app are you using that you're unable to edit the contact? Again, this is a very basic function of any Contacts app. The only situation where I've seen difficulty with editing contacts is if they're being saved to a SIM card (which is extremely outdated tech -- don't save contacts to a SIM card, save them to your Google account).

It's true that there are a few situations where an image on a website can't be downloaded -- that's more of an issue with that website. The vast majority of images can be saved.

"No alarm, no music" -- you don't have a Clock app with an Alarm function? Or are you saying your phone didn't come with preinstalled alarm tones, ringtones, and notification tones?

You don't know what the Google Play Store is? The main source of apps to install for Android phones? play.google.com/about/howplayworks/. Think of it as the same as Apple's Appstore for iPhones, except it's for Android. Installing Android apps from a random website is a bad idea -- that's a good way of getting malware. The Play Store is pretty much the only place most users should be installing apps from.

My guide might be helpful for you -- it's a bit out of date, but many of the basics have not changed: [GUIDE] Getting Started with Android (UPDATED 2016 for Nougat) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Here's another relatively new help site from Google: https://guidebooks.google.com/home

Friendly word of advice: we're all unpaid volunteers here (with our own day jobs), and we all like to help people. I want to help you. So it's not constructive to be confrontational, belligerent, or insulting. Keep an open mind, and ask questions respectfully if you don't understand something. There will be at least someone here who will try to answer your questions with the same respect.:)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not even sure where to begin with this topic.

I keep hearing and seeing people say they can do everything with a mobile phone, yet I fail to see how.

So far, phones are extremely limited.

Take gmail for example, mobile devices are extremely watered down shells of gmail. The computer version has things like: trash, attachments, delete, I can create folders, move emails around, archive them, I can even log out.

but on a mobile device every single option I just listed above that's on a computer, doesn't even exist on the mobile version.

Another example is people keep mentioning various other things that there is no way to do. Such as change the back ground picture on their phone, or move around icons Sorry but those are not possible on a mobile device. and i mean teh options for doing that don't even exist on a phone.

On a computer I can right click and select a myriad of options. You cannot right click on a phone.

If I make a mistake on a phone contact, say I misspell a persons name or out the wrong digit, there is no edit option. Instead I have to delete the contact and start over, and hope I don't make a mistake the second time.

There is no way to download any picture from anywhere and save it unless the website the picture is on, allows for it.

I have no alarm, no music, no way to change anything. none of the features people claim a mobile device is supposed to have

The most annoying part about this is whenever I bring up this subject matter, I'll get asked really stupid questions such as did you do (insert whatever) and I'll have no clue what they're even talking about. They act like I'm supposed to know wtf things and statements such as long press, and swipe mean. I don't wtf they're rambling on about how about. I've been told something I was mentioning is in the settings..To which i replied my phone doesn't have a settings option, at least that I am aware of. I then get told it's in your app drawer...It's then i stop listening to them because i realize they're just going to continue on mentioning things as if I have any clue to wtf they're talking about. No I don't know wtf an app drawer is.

Also people keep saying something about google play store (whatever that means) and they say everyone gets their apps from there..I have to stop them because I don't, the one thing I did download was from the website of the place itself.

How about people ask me if I'm aware of something or do i know what (insert word means) instead of just saying random things to me and having me ignore you.

People look at me and say you're a troll, everyone knows how this stuff is done and then I get blocked.

People need to stop assuming things.

The biggest part about this whole mess is there isn't a single instruction booklet anywhere.

You have a very valid point that smartphones aren't beginner friendly in the least, and don't come with any kind of instruction booklet. It can be VERY frustrating to pick one up and start trying to use it if you have no experience with one. But you seem pretty comfortable using a computer, and they don't come with an instruction booklet either.... you learn by using them and asking questions, and trial and error. It's the same with a smartphone ;)

I learned how to use pc's by getting a couple of free windows 95 machines to play with. No internet connected to them (too old), just the machines. Then I picked up a windows XP machine to actually start my journey into the pc world. It was EXTREMELY frustrating at first, just like your experience with smartphones, but I dug into every corner of the machine, learned everything I could about it, hardware and software wise, and went on to build my first high end gaming machine.

Do I wish there would have been an encyclopedia sized instruction manual with it? Heck yeah!! But there wasn't, and I still learned how to use and build pc's. You've obviously learned how to use a pc... learning how to use a smartphone is the same principle. Patience and reading/asking questions/trial and error are your friends.

This is a great place full of very knowledgeable, extremely helpful people, who would be glad to help you on your journey of learning a smartphone just like you learned the pc. You just need to be patient... you're not going to pick it up instantly, but if you join this great community you'll learn enough to use your smartphone with no problems, and if you hang around you'll learn enough to help others :p

And if there's any terms you don't understand, just ask folks to break it down for you... there's no crime in not being born understanding how a smartphone works, we all had to learn just like you. And I'm still learning something new here almost daily ;)

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I'm assuming this is how I reply so let me go through the replies and address specific things in each one. I will also generalize some things as there is no need to reply to each individual segment.
OK so first off I'm not uncomfortable with using a phone.
Whomever said a computer doesn't come with an instruction manual is incorrect, they do and they're pretty detailed.
As far as the gmail being able to do all those things i said it can't, we have a disagreement on that, because none of the options to do anything actually exist anywhere on the screen. When I open gmail on a computer, over to the left, righ on the screen is every option (Trash, spam, inbox..etc...) But when I open gmail on a phone, all the options that are on the computer version, don't exist. There isn't a single option anywhere on the left which means it has none of what6 a computer has. On top of that, I have absolutely no clue what part of gmail I'm even looking at. One other thing to note..On a computer i can select what section of gmail I want to be in SPam inbox trash..wtc..adn in every section I go to on the computer I have about 55 emails per page.. On a phone The list ends at around 6..So I'm not only missing options, but it limits how many emails you can even see.
Another thing what do you mean GMAIL APP?
gmail isn't part of or on your phone like outlook express is on a computer. Gmail is a website that you need to type gmail into the address bar of an internet browser. There is no direct go between from the phone to gmail like you can do on a computer by making a shortcut..A phone doesn't have the capability to create shortcut icons
As for why I would need to log out of an email is simple. I have specific gmail accounts for specific things. Case in point I had reservations for a rental car in my business gmail that I couldn't access through my phone because my phone was opening to a different gmail. I needed to get into gmail that had the reservation in it, and couldn't because there is no option to log out on a phone.
As far as the links to guides and youtube videos or whatever..none of that info is of any help because it assumes you have some basic knowledge of how a phone works and I do not. For example someone mentioned the phrase long press...Well if you go back and read what i posted above about that exact phrase you will see it isn't defined and needs to be.
A major part of the problem with phones in general is somehow people think everyone has some very basic understanding of the generalized generic use or at least should..Well I don't because there are no instructions for generic overall use if that is even a thing. Any computer I go on can move icons around, make, name/rename folders you can create txt files and all sorts of generic things that apply universally to every computer. A phone doesn't have any such thing that I've ever heard, read or watched any video or anyone talk about or mention.
So when someone above asked me as to what do I mean by I can't edit because it's one of the basic functions...well I mean I cannot edit because the word EDIT doesn't exist anywhere on the screen..So it's clearly not that basic of a function and it's not even common sense how anyone can even know what has to be done. If there is some way to edit a contact, it has no instructions. As I said the only way I found to correct a mistake in a contact I'm adding, is to delete the contact completely, and re-enter it.
Not sure why the makers of these phones don't explain all the options they put into them, where they are, how to actually access them, as well as give a video demonstration on how they get used.
Looks as though what people claim to be some of the most basic options in a phone, require their own set of detailed instructions on how to even access them ,because right now everything people said exists in a phone has no options so that means either people are lying(Which I doubt) or the options are so buried and requires a degree in computer and phone science in order to know how to navigate and access them. Right now I open a phone and I see a screen with some things on it and that's it. If there is anything further to do then someone needs to make a video showing from the start screen up to doing something that is supposed to be what peopel think are a basic function.

The basics of the phone aren't explained so they aren't basic functions. you cannot expect me or anyone to know that editing a contact is even a thing that can be done, when there isn't a single mention of it anywhere as well as there isn't a single instruction as to how to do it..it's as if people are oblivious to how to properly write actual instructions. You cannot assume someone knows something. All the links and thinsg on the net..skip things that lead up to what they're talking about so they're useless. You cannot start off by having an instruction that starts in the middle of what to do..You have to have all teh steps that lead up to what the thing is starting at.

Someone above said long press...Sorry, but i have no clue what that means or why that person thinks I would but it's not defined and as such you cannot just say an undefined phrase and then expect the person to know what you're talking about. The first thing that's needed for phone instructions is a glossary. It also needs instructions that include all the steps on general application of things all phones can do (If that's even true) I'm just throwing out examples of why phones cannot be used. If there is some option in a phone that does something, then you have to ask the person if they even know about it, then explain exactly how to access it.

Someone above asked me the following questions:
Do I not know what the google play store is? I never said I didn't know what the google play store is what i said was people somehow automatically say you get all your apps through it which is 100% false. If it's supposed to be on a phone, it's not on mine.
Another really mind baffling thing is how there isn't any way to remove something once you've down loaded it. it's now stuck on your phone unless you send it back to the company and have them remove it..This whole thing reminds me of how only apple can access your macs BIOS or the section which allows you to instead install windows on it. ONLY the store can gain access to that. So like that, only the maker of the phone can remove an app.
Every app I downloaded onto my phone came directly from the website of the app maker itself..so no all apps do not come from there and I wouldn't ever pay for them either Apple and google always sneak in fees that's why the word STORE is a dead give away. So no I never ever get an app through that PoS company I refuse to give google any of my money. It's the same reason I avoid the apple store. it costs money, and secondly I avoid any type of online store like that.
Saving contacts to your google account? NO idea what you're even talking about..Google doesn't have any such thing. Again I'm mind boggled at all these supposed things that no one can provide a single piece of instruction on. If Google did have such a thing how would anyone even know about it never mind know what you're talking about. I'm totally lost and one reason I have a serious disdain for phones, supposedly all sorts of things and it's all kept hidden until someone on a forum happens to mention it and unless that happens then no one even knows about it so no one would ever bring it up.
As far as changing the background picture or screen (not sure what you're referring to) but let me try to explain this..a computer has desktop it's the main screen you have all your icons and shortcuts and things on. I can change the desktop background to any picture I want by right clicking on any image I open and selecting the option set as desktop background. The background of your phone that has the icon things on it, cannot be changed because once again you cannot right click on a phone,. The person mentioned long press...You lost me. No clue to what that means...LONG press...am i supposed to have my phone 5 feet from me and I'm reaching out with my arm..you're not making sense. This is why it's impossible to use a phone people say things and for some strange reason assume you know what they're saying yet what they're saying has never once ever been defined anywhere. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you're you're saying that's a very basic function that magically people are somehow supposed to know without ever heard about it or having it explained or defined...when it's not.
The term basic function is subjective, not objective. That's like saying Psychics math is basic...basic to whom?
As far as the alarm goes I cannot answer whatever you asked about that because I don't know what you're asking. if you're asking me if my phone has an alarm..I don't know..How would I ever know that when there aren't any instructions that go over anything about it..Is my phone supposed to have an alarm?

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I don't know how this place works the place I amusing to reply in this topic just says submit answer

I posted a lengthy reply and it took me to this actual forum page that I now cannot seem to get access too again. The above post is the first time i saw a reply get posted here. I don't even know where the first lengthy reply I posted went or how to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I posted a lengthy reply and it took me to this actual forum page that I now cannot seem to get access too again. The above post is the first time i saw a reply get posted here. I don't even know where the first lengthy reply I posted went or how to find it.

It had to be approved by a Mod -- this sometimes happens with a long post from someone who just registered. I approved it.

I also made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That was a long post, so let's break things down a little. We won't be able to address everything in one go, so please bear with us.

For the Gmail app, are you using it for your Gmail account (i.e., Gmail as your email provider), or are you using it for other email accounts (like a Microsoft Exchange account, or Yahoo, or some other email account for which you're using the Gmail app as an email client)? This is important to know, because certain features when using it for Gmail may not be available for other email providers, especially if you're using the POP3 server instead of the IMAP server.

If you're using it for your Gmail account, then on the main screen, tap the 3-line menu button (often nicknamed the "hamburger menu" button, because 3 lines = bun/meat/bun, get it?;)), which will bring out the side menu. There, you should see all of your Labels (aka folders). Scroll down and you should see Spam and Trash.

If you're using a non-Gmail email provider in the Gmail app, it can get a bit more confusing, especially if you're using the POP3 server. POP3 is a very old email protocol that doesn't duplicate folder structures from your email server -- all it does is download email to your inbox, and when I say download, I mean that it actually stores a physical copy of the email to the phone (which can significantly impact storage if you have a ton of emails). I always recommend against using POP3, and there are very few good reasons to stick with it. IMAP is much better, because it syncs the folder structure, and it leaves the email on the server -- you're not filling up your storage with tons of email. There's a good explanation over here: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pop-vs-imap/. (Apologies if you're already very familiar with this.)

So if you're using POP3, you won't see Trash or Spam, or any of the folders you might have created on Outlook or the webmail interface.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that your average Joe cannot work out what "Long Press" means. A phrase that uses two common words with their common meanings.

I switched from using a Windows Mobile phone to an Android phone for the first time a couple of years ago, and yes it took some quiet, dedicated time to find my way around but I was up and running in a couple of hours for the basics and gradually learnt to tweak things to be just the way I want them. If anything Android makes it *very* easy to learn how to do something or change something with its inbuilt Search function in Settings. If that doesn't tell you what to do then very likely it is something that cannot be done. Some online searching on your laptop around the various forums and review sites etc can sometimes show you the way if Search fails you

At the end of the day you have to want to learn how to do or use anything new. Even some of our simian relatives know that with learning how to use sticks and stones to help themselves get food.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
First, what phone do you have?

A "long press" is a very technical term... it means that you "press" on something for a "long" time. "press" means that you apply a small amount of pressure to the icon on the screen using your finger, and in this case, a "long" time is about a second... you'll know when it happens.

When you feel you have mastered this technique, come back here, don't forget to mention what phone you have, and we will move on to your next lesson.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know how this place works the place I amusing to reply in this topic just says submit answer

Welcome to AC!
Also I want to point out that a lot of device's don't come with instructions (user manuals ) because it's in setting menu built into the phone.
7a8254c6fb49baa55cbe47f6ed86cedf.jpg

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Also I want to point out that a lot of device's don't come with instructions (user manuals ) because it's in setting menu built into the phone.
7a8254c6fb49baa55cbe47f6ed86cedf.jpg

First off I have a BLU-G91 and I've had it for just about a year now...
The company (Bold Like Us) is based somewhere in Florida. For some strange reason they changed the G91 to V91. Anytime you try to find G91 it will turn up V91 instead.

As far as universal use goes, it shouldn't matter what phone I have. I know how computers work and as such, I cant ell you that there are universal things that apply equally regardless if you are using a MAC, a Laptop, or Desktop, they all have some form of windows OS and windows os (Operating system) have basic use that never changes regardless of what device you're on.

As far as your reply goes, Why would you say settings are built into the phone as if every phone has them? Mine doesn't and I don't know why you or anyone would assume it does.

I really wish I could show you my phone screen but there is no way to do that without a video as a phone cannot see it's own screen.

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
Just to let you and other people replying to this thread that I've done everything from my computer and not my phone.
I also truly believe none of you have any clue to the amount of issues and problems I'm constantly running into with things and the extent it goes to. This is why i said add me on discord I can at least use my webcam to show people what's going on.
BTW in case no one got it..my discord info is send me a friend request to and we can set up a time to video chat because people here really have absolutely no clue how bad this is for me.
360#0101

You dont see something that resembles it ?
Don't I see something that resembles what? You haven't specified what exactly you're referring to with that question.
Here is a screenshot of what that website looks like when I went to it:

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't any manual to download. Even if there was, I'm pretty sure it's not a user manual and nothing would be explained in it. Companies love claiming they add in all sorts of things, but hide them from consumers.

BTW I'm trying to figure out a way to get a picture of my phones face so you all can see exactly what I'm looking at. There is no way for the phone to take a picture if it's own screen. A picture of a computers own desktop can be taken through use of print Screen key (spelled PrtScn), but you cannot do that with a phone.

It's things like this as to why I said a phone is extremely limited to what it can do.
I mean come on now people need to quit trolling. After I've read people talk about all this so called stuff they do with their phone, I just have to SMH because that's just them being fake online trying to act more intelligent than they really are give me a break no one is setting up reminders with alarms, calendars or whatever else, they claim because a phone doesn't have those features to do any of that.

This whole thing with phones reminds me of fake Instgram people who lie about their lifestyle to get attention so they take pictures of themselves by cars they don't own and crap..it's seriously pathetic.

As I said half off what people are bringing up in this thread they claim they're doing on a phone..I don't believe you. The things people are saying, require a phone to have very specific features built into the hardware.

For example the phrase open your camera and scan (Insert whatever) Sorry that's a blatant lie no one is scanning anything with their phone. Your phone doesn't have the laser in it to be able to SCAN anything.

Scanning is what you do when you go to a checkout line and there is either the scanner gun or the light bar on the register itself but either way Scanning requires a laser which unless registered, is actually illegal on a hand held device due to actually being classified as a deadly weapon because you can blind someone with it.

So no, no one is scanning anything with their phone, and no one is going to tell me they are either, especially with their camera. A camera is used to take a picture/video..that's all it can do.

So when you go to take a picture of the bar code, all that winds up happening is that you get a picture of whatever barcode you took a picture of with your phones camera. So for me when someone says scan this QR code or whatever. When i do it nothing happens I have a picture of it..

I literally went through best buy one day and took over 100 pictures of bar and QR codes and nothing was happening. SO I'm guessing that you take a picture of it and then at the register you bring up the picture of said bar or QR code from the gallery and the cashier is supposed to know what to do with it.

I've never cared enough to be bothered with taking a picture of an in store coupon to use at the register

But as I was saying so far any time people talk about scanning nothing ever happens with it.

people really need to just stop with this lame crap that has no point and doesn't do anything and lying about things they're claiming they did with their phone or they're phone can do.

Last edited:

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
A "long press" is a very technical term... it means that you "press" on something for a "long" time. "press" means that you apply a small amount of pressure to the icon on the screen using your finger, and in this case, a "long" time is about a second... you'll know when it happens.

When you feel you have mastered this technique, come back here, don't forget to mention what phone you have, and we will move on to your next lesson.
Again in English because I have no clue wtf you're even talking about. When you feel you have mastered basic English so people can understand it, then maybe people can answer you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Again in English because I have no clue wtf you're even talking about. When you feel you have mastered basic English so people can understand it, then maybe people can answer you.
Randy your going have to take your tone down here in the forums, B. Diddy was nice enough explaining this , we don't allow this behavior here , be polite . Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe