Question Snapseed saving issue

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, I have googled this problem and cannot find an answer. I take a lot of photos on my phone and I edit them using Snapseed. For years and up to 3-4 days ago, Snapseed would save all edited photos to its own library/folder, but now it is saving in the files in the Camera folder. I have uninstalled and reinstall Snapseed but that didn't help. I have copied the Snapseed folder to my PC and deleted it from the phone and uninstall/reinstall Snapseed and that didn't help either. I edit at least 5 pics a day and this problem is really annoying. Does anyone have any idea to troubleshoot or fix the issue? Thanks in advance!

BTW, I am on a Samsung S21 Ultra, running Android 13, One UI 5.1, kernel 5.4.210

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Stumped on this one... I just installed Snapseed on an S23 and it does save the copy to the Snapseed folder. I'd try a couple things.
1) Check that the Snapseed app has permissions set to allow Photos and Videos access (really don't think this is the issue since you do seem to save to the Camera folder).
2) Try the 'Export as' option in the Export menu. Perhaps changing the destination back to the Snapseed folder will 'stick' going forward?

And lastly, just triple checking... are the images really saving to the camera folder? Or is your Gallery now showing all images lumped together instead of by folder/album?

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
hi SpookDroid, thank you for the response!

I am not sure how to check for permissions, I'll google and check it.

I can't find the Export As option in Snapseed, where do you see it?

Yes, the files are being saved in the "Camera" folder.

I tried copying/moving a picture from another folder to the Snapseed folder and it said that it cannot do so. Also, now that I deleted the Snapseed folder on my phone, Snapseed is not even attempting to recreate that folder.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Long-press the Snapseed app icon and select App Info. There you should see a Permissions section and which options are allowed/denied. But if you can't even move the file from the Camera folder to the Snapseed one, that's even weirder. Does the Snapseed folder exist? Can you move the file to a different folder? What about images not created by Snapseed, can you move those?

As for the Export option, it should be on the bar below the image as you edit it (LOOKS TOOLS EXPORT)

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi again, jfyi, I was able to find the permission settings for Snapseed and it has access to photos/videos.

also, i checked another photo editing app, and it was able to save to its own folder (not the Camera folder).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you also try clearing the app cache/data for Snapseed? Uninstalling an app won't necessarily clear any of the app settings -- when you reinstall it, it might remember certain settings.

Reactions: SpookDroid

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Long-press the Snapseed app icon and select App Info. There you should see a Permissions section and which options are allowed/denied. But if you can't even move the file from the Camera folder to the Snapseed one, that's even weirder. Does the Snapseed folder exist? Can you move the file to a different folder? What about images not created by Snapseed, can you move those?

As for the Export option, it should be on the bar below the image as you edit it (LOOKS TOOLS EXPORT)
The Snapseed folder no longer exists, but even after uninstall/reinstall of Snapseed, Snapseed doesn't create the folder any more. So folder is gone. I manually created the folder in the exact location it was before, but that folder does not show up in the Photos app.

I can create images with other apps and move them freely anywhere.

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Did you also try clearing the app cache/data for Snapseed? Uninstalling an app won't necessarily clear any of the app settings -- when you reinstall it, it might remember certain settings.
Hi B. Biddy, first of all, thank you for your help!

I just cleared all the cache/data and am still having the same problem.

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Would you mind showing us a screenshot of the file manager you're using that shows the image files in the /DCIM/Camera directory? Just want to see what it looks like. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Hi again. Sorry for delay in response. I just checked and there is a Snapseed folder within DCIM, but Snapseed folder doesn't show up in Photos. Further, I edited a photo in Snapseed and saved it and it saved it in the Snapseed folder, but in Photos, the photo shows up in the Camera library. Hope this gives some hint as to what might be happening. Thank you again.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi again. Sorry for delay in response. I just checked and there is a Snapseed folder within DCIM, but Snapseed folder doesn't show up in Photos. Further, I edited a photo in Snapseed and saved it and it saved it in the Snapseed folder, but in Photos, the photo shows up in the Camera library. Hope this gives some hint as to what might be happening. Thank you again.
I just tested it myself, and can confirm that even though the Snapseed-edited photo is saving to its own Snapseed directory, it still shows up in the Camera folder. I think this is because the Snapseed directory is a subdirectory of /DCIM, and any image in that directory or any of its subdirectories will be categorized as Camera. (BTW, this is also why screenshots on Samsung phones get included in the Camera folder, since Samsung saves screenshots to a subdirectory of /DCIM, while most other phones save them to the /Pictures/Screenshots directory.)

Send feedback to Google about this, both from within the Snapseed app and the Photos app.

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you B. Diddy. I am curious to know why this changed, but not sure if you can answer that. Very odd problem to have out of the blue, after years of not having this issue. I'll send feedback as you suggested. Thank you.

Reactions: B. Diddy

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're using the Samsung Gallery app, tap the three bar button at the bottom, select Settings and de-select 'Merge albums'. Also make sure that, if the 'Select albums to show' is active, the Snapseed folder is also selected.

Reactions: shahgols

shahgols

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you SpookDroid, I have switched to Gallery for now. But I like the features in Samsung Gallery better, so I may stick with it. Thank you for the suggestion!

B.Didday, I have sent feedback to Google as you suggested, hopefully they'll fix the issue.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred