So much for that Gingerbread update, eh?

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have 2.2.2 customized rom - that can still be rooted with a Gingerbread theme

No plans to update to LG's Gingerbread unless I see other suckers aka Test Subjects - loading it first.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
plural, us always turns to a double ii.... but why are we correcting the spelling of that anyway?

I'll test it when it comes out on Optimus #2 (i dont use it very often, running stock 2.2.1 with VD)

rdean

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I briefly had a Nexus S with 2.3. I saw very little difference between 2.2 and 2.3. Not enough for me to worry about.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Still wont hurt to try it out on the Optimus once it pops out.... I'll let you guys know what I think after it hits...

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
plural, us always turns to a double ii.... but why are we correcting the spelling of that anyway?

I'll test it when it comes out on Optimus #2 (i dont use it very often, running stock 2.2.1 with VD)

One "i" only in the plural. Octopus - octopi, cactus - cacti, radius - radii, alumnus - alumni. Optimus - optimi.

Reactions: sabauman

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I know back on Dec 11, 2010, a lot of forums, android sites, and the works were guessing the optimus would have gingerbread by march.... but i've seen speculation that its coming in may, i dont remember where...
Okay, so without a statement by LG, the claims of the Optimus S getting Gingerbread in March were unsubstantiated rumors.

As for the rumors about the Optimus S getting Gingerbread in May, I have only seen LG's India PR department state that the Optimus One might be getting Gingerbread by the end of May, but the deadline is not confirmed (by corporate or whoever is in charge of such things). I think it extremely unlikely that the Optimus S will get Gingerbread at the exact same time as the Optimus One, especially when LG has made no such statement.

Actually, with May approaching and no further comment made by LG to confirm the end of May ETA, I believe even the Optimus One will not receive Gingerbread by the end of May / beginning of June, let alone the Optimus S.

All statements I have found regarding the release of Gingerbread for the Optimus line of phones are here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...stable-w-xionia-005-01apr11-7.html#post786147

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
A spelling discussion on the internet? How can I refuse?
My mother has a Master's in English and she says the correct plural would in fact be Optimii and not Optimus' lol
When changing a word from singular to plural form, neither a double "i" nor a single quote is added.
One "i" only in the plural. Octopus - octopi, cactus - cacti, radius - radii, alumnus - alumni. Optimus - optimi.
Changing Optimus to Optimi is wrong (looks like hypercorrection to me).
In all of the examples you gave leading up to Optimus you used common nouns. However, Optimus is a proper noun. Proper nouns do not follow the same rules as common nouns.
The correct plural of Optimus is Optimuses.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
english language sucks, but i'm sure its two I

The LG Optimus One (aka LG P500) is a very popular phone worldwide, with several million having been sold. In the US, it’s known as Optimus models M, S, T, and U. It’s also known as the LG Vortex. It has a modest 600 Mhz processor, 3.2 inch HVGA display and sells for around $250.

The Optimus ONE series covers all the S, T, M, V, etc if I'm reading this right...

End of spring

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
it will all happen at once

The main insight I have from the LG source code is that LG has things nicely structured so that there can be parts that are:

A) unmodified from the official Android-MSM7xxx branch
B) changed for all LG hardware
C) changed just for specific families or groups of LG devices
D) changed just for our LS670/thunderc/whatever

It works in a top-down way. So, when they upgrade to gingerbread, they will do it in a sane way, which means they will upgrade a whole bunch of phones (probably, all of the models they plan on ever upgrading, and including yet-unreleased models) simultaneously. It is the only dev process that makes sense.

They have to change all of the above layers. First, base off a new official branch and different version of the Android platform. Then, reapply their global LG patches. Then, reapply their device family patches. Then, reapply all of the per-device patches. Then, run their tests on all the devices. When there's a bug found, fix it at the appropriate level, remerge everything downstream of the fix, and repeat.

So, all I am saying is that since they have said we will get gingerbread, I'm pretty confident we will, unless there's some kind of unforeseen showstopper bug (which is extremely unlikely). And their dev process is such that we won't get it until people on a whole bunch of other phone models also get it, and at the same time that LG starts shipping new models with gingerbread. Since it is a major change and they don't want to screw over their entire worldwide customer base, they will be very rigorous with testing and conservative on the ship date.

Unless I am wrong and there's the guys from workaholics in a cubicle somewhere in Yeouido poking at Optimus S with a stick.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
A spelling discussion on the internet? How can I refuse?

When changing a word from singular to plural form, neither a double "i" nor a single quote is added.

Changing Optimus to Optimi is wrong (looks like hypercorrection to me).
In all of the examples you gave leading up to Optimus you used common nouns. However, Optimus is a proper noun. Proper nouns do not follow the same rules as common nouns.
The correct plural of Optimus is Optimuses.

You got me on the double "i" part (which was a simple misspelling on my part).

Not so sure about the plural part, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is that the Optimus S is a fantastic piece of hardware!

EDIT: scratch that, I no longer care about the plural form of Optimus.

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Must be nice Man. Wish I could figure out how to get one. Doubt I ever will.

The instructions on this forum are VERY complete. If you need any additional help, I'm sure everybody here would be glad to help. I've private messaged you if that would make you feel any more comfortable about it.

Reactions: Immersion

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
english language sucks, but i'm sure its two I
octopus = octopuses (yes, that's correct) or octopi (one "i")
cactus = cactuses (correct again) or cacti (one "i")
alumnus = alumni (one "i")
radius = radii (only one "i" is added, the other was already there), some use radiuses, but it's not common
In all of my searching, I have never found a rule, or even a single word, in which two "i"s were added to make the plural. You may be sure, but you sure don't have evidence. (Tee-hee)
The Optimus ONE series covers all the S, T, M, V, etc if I'm reading this right...

End of spring
You read that right, but it's a question of who said what. In that link, LG doesn't mention the Optimus One series. They only mention the Optimus One phone. The comment was made by LG India. This is significant because in India, the Optimus One phone is sold.
It's the reporting site (androidcommunity.com) that brings up the Optimus One series making it look like LG has made a broader statement than they actually have.
It is also worth noting that LG said "confirmation on the upgrade is yet awaited". This confirmation has still not arrived.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I know is that Dec 10ish 2010 they supposedly confirmed that the phones were in schedule to receive the update... sometime.

and yes, i dont have an english masters, forgive me.

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I know is that Dec 10ish 2010 they supposedly confirmed that the phones were in schedule to receive the update... sometime.
LG has made that statement. LG
I just fear people will start complaining in June if Gingerbread is not yet available for the Optimus S, and that seems unfair to LG, who to the best of my knowledge has never suggested when the update will be available for the S.
and yes, i dont have an english masters, forgive me.
I apologize if I come off as being a jerk. I do not mean any offense.

rc28a

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am highly doubful such a low end phone will get gingerbread as Sprint will sell new phones as a next gen device having Gingerbread. It doesn't make marketing sense to put the development work into it.

Flip side is the Cyanogen 7 is a nice Proof of Concept but in reality it isn't stable and a lot of features don't work right. Coming from Linux I was use to stuff like this on my desktop but on my phone I can't have this. GPS is slow or can't lock or lags, connections lost to 3G, Sporadic reboots, Skyfire crashes as well as most other media.

The best we have is a stock rooted VD, it is as close I can get to a perfect rom for this device as everything works and I can overclock and powerwidgets plus puts all the things i need to control on my screen and it is STABLE!, no media crashes, GPS locks. no sporadic reboots, skyfire works like a charm. The major loss is I can't wifi tether but at the speeds Sprint's 3G goes at ... it isn't worth it.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
For a "low end" phone, it is actually very crisp, responsive, and a decent device. It is currently their pushed out low-end device, and pushing gingerbread to it would be a smart marketing ploy. Not everybody can drop 200 dollars on the next Evo/Epic. Not everybody wants a crappy phone like a moment...

As for the issues you're pointing out for CM7, I've had no such issues, and sprint's 3g network can actually hold a skype video call with better quality than my comcast cable internet.

plentyzloty

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
When I got my phone in January, I didn't know nothing, so I immediately accepted the OTA to VC. (Doh! I coulda had a V9!) The home button never worked. A few days ago, I accepted an OTA to VD. Blam! The home button works just fine now. Lost tethering but got it back thanks to the fine people here. So I'm drinking a V9 with the latest version of "skin" (don't know how to say it).

VD seems like a bug fix version to me. I suppose that wifi tethering from a Market app is a "bug" to Sprint's billing department. I don't have a lot of confidence in VD.

From what I gather, only LTE is a "true" 4G (802.11n) phone. All the super duper 4G smart fones they dumped on the market in February -- were really just what 3G phones shoulda been all along. They were sold as "4G" as a marketing ploy. Really, use your shift key: $G

The Optimus One is an October fone = 3G ver. 0.5

Edit: forgot to say, when Sprint sells its real 4G phone for the Xmas season, they're never going to provide updated software again. We'll be on our own. That's why I'd trust a Gingerbread kludged together here over the [?? last ??] VE downgrade.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disappointer