speck candyshell or otterbox commuter?

Red Android

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Got my glacier otterbox commuter and malachite/grey candyshell, both bought on amazon.com

Quick reviews

Otterbox Commuter- $23.31
Style
- It looks nice, but compare it to the candyshell? It's busted. But this is all about protection, so it's nice. I can think of several thinner cases that are ugly compared to the Otterbox. The white case goes with white phone, I like the pure look of it.

Bulkiness
- Not bad. I was expecting worse from otterbox.

Pocket test
- Suprisingly, it slid in and out of the pocket without issues.

Case outer texture
- If you think the phone itself is slippery (I didn't), wait until you get this. Thank God this is made by otterbox, huh?
- Scratches? It's got a textured outer shell so it looks fine so far. Fingerprints are not an issue. Besides, it's an otterbox, it's like a Jeep- nobody is gonna laugh at you if you got some mud on it.

Case inner texture
- it's so soft and smooth, I don't worry about scuffing the phone. It soothes my OCD tendencies.

Buttons
- Do you really need to be Hulk to use the buttons? No- work smarter, not harder.
- I noted that the coverings on both buttons don't exactly line up with the buttons. You can put the phone a vice and crush it before turning it on. The trick is to push the rubber button up toward the screen and then press in. It requires more pressure, yes, but you don't need to workout. I suspect after putting it on and off a few times, that since the silicone inner sleeve is so soft and flexible, maybe positioning the button prior to putting on the outer cover may result in a better fit over the buttons.

Ease of taking on/off the cover
- It's easy to put on. It requires some strength to put the final button in. But nothing too serious.
- It's easy to take off. I start at the bottom corner where the back capacitive button is, work up on that side, get the power button out of the hard shell, then lift off the top corner. Then it's easy breezy from there.

Speck CandyShell- $26.57
Style
- This is one good looking case. The Malachite/gray is more green- it's funky and I like it. Really, more S3 cases need to step up the design aspect.

Bulkiness
- It feels slimmer. Surprisingly, when I put them side by side, the difference isn't as great as you think it would be.

Pocket test
- A shock outcome here- the rubber bits at the corner? They are a bit sticky so don't easily go into the pocket. It's not like if the corners are super glue, but annoying.

Case outer texture
- It's shiny, but I feel like it is not as slick as the otterbox.
- Even after just playing with it for awhile, I noticed a small scratch. But hey, better the case than the phone. It also picks up fingerprints more.

Case inner texture
- Not as smooth as the otterbox. I worry a bit about scuffs on this one.

Buttons
- These look like they line up good.
- And they do. The buttons work like if the phone had no case.

Ease of taking on/off the cover
- It's not as easy to put on since the hard/soft shell are all combined into one compared to the otterbox. In terms of force used, it's a few degrees less than putting the phone + soft case onto the outer case of the otter box
- Taking it off? Let me put it this way. The case comes with "removal instructions". Basically have the bottom of the phone facing up, screen facing you and "just" use your thumbs to pop out both corners. Uhmm... no. I had to get a bit macgyver in here. I could barely pop out one corner, so once I had one corner bulge out, I wedged in a playing card in while I worked on the other end. After a few times, I got my technique down. Give me a 3 of diamonds and I can take the phone out quick. It looks like the soft gray lip on the bottom corners are not as deep.

If you have to buy one?
You'd think the Otterbox would be the pain in the ass, plaid-shirt wearing, hungry-man eating case with the "if you dont benchpress 350, don't bother turning the screen on with the side button". And it is, but the case is easier to take off, it's smoother to put in/take out of your pocket, the inner silicone sleeve is softer than the Speck's, and it's not that much bulkier. You think Otterbox is all about practicality, but one area where they drop the ball is the slickness of the outer shell and the buttons. C'mon if you're gonna make an ugly case, make it work! It's like a Jeep with racing tires instead of off-roading tires. But the Otterbox was surprisingly refined in some aspects.

The Speck pretty much is what I thought it would be- a very pretty case with some functional flaws- the difficulty taking the case out, the ease of scratches appearing of the outer shell, and maybe it's me being OCD, but the concern that since the rubber isn't as soft, I might scuff the phone if I let too much crude build up overtime. But it looks great.

I can't say one is better than the other one. Neither one pulls ahead of the other one overall for me to recommend one. Ultimately you pick which one you want based on what each company is known for. If you want style- go with the candyshell. If you want protection, go with otterbox. I see cases as more of a style accessory so I'll use both- I can see myself getting bored with the white and wanting the funky green and vice versa. Overall, no regrets with either case. Especially as I was able to get two for the price of one otterbox at my Verizon store.

This is such a good review. Im going with speck. Although the speck doesnt offer the same protection as the otterbox, the speck does offer some drop protection and has much better style. Scratches on the case doesnt bother me. Although i am pretty surprise the two cases are almost similar in sizes.

Tayman52

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna get an otterbox defender. That has been my standard for my last 3 phones. Then i got this otterbox 'like' case for the s3 from amazon. Com for $7.99! Game over! Equal, or i dare to say, maybe even better quality. Super snug fit, a kick stand, & they even thow in a stylus, for about 1 fifth of the price, including shipping. I do miss the holster that comes with otterbox, but I'm not paying $40 for it.
46c08412-032f-54a7.jpg

Here's another must grab......its a case, it's a charger, it's $20! http://www.mart-shopping.com/3200ma...e-with-stand-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300.html
46c08412-043b-174f.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Larry Pager

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
This is such a good review. Im going with speck. Although the speck doesnt offer the same protection as the otterbox, the speck does offer some drop protection and has much better style. Scratches on the case doesnt bother me. Although i am pretty surprise the two cases are almost similar in sizes.

Thanks! I was surprised by this too.
A quick update- I went out to dinner and when I came back, there were a lot more scratches on the Speck (naturally I chose this because I think it looks better). Again, these scratches are not deep, and if the case is not under direct lighting, you don't see it. But better than the case than the phone...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I was surprised by this too.
A quick update- I went out to dinner and when I came back, there were a lot more scratches on the Speck (naturally I chose this because I think it looks better). Again, these scratches are not deep, and if the case is not under direct lighting, you don't see it. But better than the case than the phone...

Another argument for the OB. Protects great and looks great.

Larry Pager

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Another argument for the OB. Protects great and looks great.

Well I had the Speck on for 2 days and I loved it. Really no issues with it at all. It's gonna scratch up, yeah, but I think it still looks great. I just swapped it out for the OB commuter. I haven't had a chance to use it yet...

SideKickM24

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Great review. I have the Garnet Red S3 and a black OB Commuter case. Looks sexy :) The case is slick, and I don't just mean looks, which I'm not thrilled about but besides that I really like it.
I'm still looking for another case to swap out every now and again just to mix things up.

Sent from my sexy Garnet S3

Larry Pager

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Update after using both for a few days.

The look of the Otterbox Commuter in white is growing on me. The slickness of the case I got over, it was the buttons that was driving me up the wall and prompted me to change to the Candyshell. The first thing I noticed was the lip on the candyshell was significantly thinner- which led to it feeling thinner, but also less protective. To have working buttons again was a pure joy.

But then it got me thinking... like anything in Android, if the stock implementation is garbage, just DIY. The buttons on the inside of the silicon case are hollowed out areas with a small rubber bit that's supposed to make contact with the button. As I theorized before, it was the angle that this was hitting the buttons that was hindering the button being depressed. It also looks like the rubber bit on the inside was a bit small as well. So I took the end of a q-tip, ripped of some cotton, and just filled enough so it was flush with the inner shell wall. Not packed, because I didn't want the buttons to go off too easily.

Presto! The power and volume buttons work massively better. Still not as good as the candyshell- that's like as if it's running naked. But good enough where it saved the Commuter for being banished to crappy phone accessory hell. I might pack a bit more cotton in, but I'm happy with the results.

So if you hate the buttons on the commuter or are hesitant in buying this case because of the buttons, just get a q-tip.

Reactions: BDain

glassygurl

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
If you want more protection, you should go for Otterbox, but if not I say go for Candyshell~~ I had a Candyshell for my iPhone and i loved it. The only thing you gotta be careful is I heard they have a tendency to crack. Never had that issue myself but people have been complaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod