Still have missing memory? Only 2GB

wuxbustah8

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Cdma carries generally won't activate a phone from anther carrier as the imei of the phone must be in their database and there can be other technical issues even if they want to activate an outside phone.

I was thinking that may be the case. Thanks for the input. So if I break my contract now, what becomes of the Thunderbolt? Do they take it back and refund the $250, or do I keep it and sell it somewhere like Ebay?

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If you're out of your return window (14 days) you pay your early termination fee. Then you're free to do with the phone as you please.

Ebay or Craigslist are the most common.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I cannot find it within myself to be upset about this issue. I came from an N1 that after a wipe, would have ~150MB of space for apps.

right now I have every app I had on my N1 and plus a bunch more(84 apps total) and I'm sitting at2.08GB still left for apps That is a huge amount of space for me.

I can understand others being upset tho.

lindros2#AC

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I cannot find it within myself to be upset about this issue. I came from an N1 that after a wipe, would have ~150MB of space for apps.

right now I have every app I had on my N1 and plus a bunch more(84 apps total) and I'm sitting at2.08GB still left for apps That is a huge amount of space for me.

I can understand others being upset tho.

My issue is that I saw 200-something MB of RAM available for "currently running" applications. My fear is that I'm going to run out, and the device will slow down or freeze (something which Verizon confirmed) or delete content (like BlackBerry Storms did).

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Lmao. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of different types of memory. Also android automatically uses all but about 100-200 megs of ram to get best performance while leaving a buffer for demanding applications.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

androidburn

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking that may be the case. Thanks for the input. So if I break my contract now, what becomes of the Thunderbolt? Do they take it back and refund the $250, or do I keep it and sell it somewhere like Ebay?
How about this - terminate and tell them that they breached their contract. They promised 8GB of internal memory and it's just not there. See what happens.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't know what they WOULD do but if I were them and you came in saying that I would first laugh, then explain why you're an idiot. That's just me.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
There is no misleading information from VZW or HTC. 8GB is there, you just can't access it all.

Go buy a HDD - you aren't going to be able to access the the "advertised" size (whatever is listed on the box) since part of the drive is reserved. Same thing goes for the 8GB internal TB memory. When I bought my TB I never expected to be able to access the full 8GB. I expected 4-6GB free but 2.6 is not surprising, after rooting your phone and going through the phone's file system there is a lot there (beside just the bloatware). Factor in reserved space for other phone operations and 2-3GB seems about right.

I would expect less reserved space on older phones, but as these things advance, I would not be surprised to see similar available sizes on many other phones from a variety of manufacturers.

Whether its "misleading" is only a matter of whether you feel misled. If there is 8GB installed, then there is 8GB installed. No one ever advertises how much is available to you.

Complain all you want but I've used very little of the internal memory - most of my apps can be moved to the nice 32GB SD card - not a size most companies are packaging in with their phones (most offer 8 or 16).

As someone posted earlier, I would rather take an additional 16GB in SD space in exchange for 4-6GB internal.

BTW, that 32GB card doesn't actually provide 32GB - its more like 29GB. The bigger the space, the more that is taken away from you. Take a look at what is actually available for use on a 1TB HDD - it will blow your mind.

While I can agree in theory with your argument here, the phone is advertised as 8GB of RAM, period. Yes any logical person would account for formatting and the OS installed, so we should be somewhere around 5-6GB FREE. Only finding 2.32GB (or 2.5GB if you root and remove bloat) it is not realistic to allow Verizon and HTC a pass on this.

If they had taken but a moment of time to put a simple asterisk next to the 8GB of RAM with a note down below indicating actually storage will be less after formatting and OS installation OR, simply state 2.32GB of user available RAM.

You see it required very little on their part, yet those chose deceptive business practices worth of an FCC complaint (please not I did not say class action lawsuit as they serve no purchase other than to make lawyers money).

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think that wrong terminology is being used.
The specs do not list 8GB of RAM.
The specs show 768 MB of RAM and 8GB emmc.
emmc is not RAM. RAM is not used for persistent storage.

TECH SPECS
Memory: 8GB emmc + 768 RAM Memory card, preinstalled 32 GB microSD?

wolf165

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
plug in to a computer

A tip from my friend which also worked on his Incredible is that when you connect to a pc as a hard drive you get 2 drives. One is 29 gb and the other is 5.81gb (8gb formatted ). I'm still having trouble accessing the drive through the ES file app though. The memory is there though.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
How about this - terminate and tell them that they breached their contract. They promised 8GB of internal memory and it's just not there. See what happens.

They'll say 'tough noogies' and you'll be paying $340.

If you think you can get your ETF waived because of this, perhaps a Pantech Dumbphone would be better suited to your needs...

lindros2#AC

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I gave up and returned mine today.

The memory thing was an annoyance.

The battery issue (dead after 4-5 hours of standby) was a killer.

There won't be a solution - mark my words.

They should have put a dual-core CPU in this thing.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have installed a crap load and the memory has slightly went down.
Plus you can move apps to the 32 gig sd card they provided.

Just got my Bolt on Friday. My first Android. I would think programs would run faster in internal memory, but perhaps not. Is the recommendation to move downloaded apps to the sd card? what about any of the bloat... can that be moved as well? Thanks.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Bolt on Friday. My first Android. I would think programs would run faster in internal memory, but perhaps not. Is the recommendation to move downloaded apps to the sd card? what about any of the bloat... can that be moved as well? Thanks.

Some do yes. It's advisable not to move any app that uses a widget or any live wallpaer but other than that any app the developer has enabled to move to the SD card should be fine. No you can't move the "bloat"

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
mfw> this entire thread
rage.png

deeznuts2

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I gave up and returned mine today.

The memory thing was an annoyance.

The battery issue (dead after 4-5 hours of standby) was a killer.

There won't be a solution - mark my words.

They should have put a dual-core CPU in this thing.

You're complaining about the battery life and yet you wish there was a dual-core CPU that would eat up more battery? :confused:

I can easily go an entire day in standby without the battery draining that much. Certainly more than 4-5 hours. It clearly is an issue with whatever applications you are running and system settings.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
You're complaining about the battery life and yet you wish there was a dual-core CPU that would eat up more battery? :confused:

I can easily go an entire day in standby without the battery draining that much. Certainly more than 4-5 hours. It clearly is an issue with whatever applications you are running and system settings.

actually dual core processors use less power instead of one core running hard it splits the work load over the same cycle..... most battery life issues come from the radio not apps constant scanning for cell and data signal drains. i am in a patchy 3g/LTE area and my battery if i use the phone enough can be gone in 3-4hours , when i am at home with only 3g i can get 5-6 hours with the same approx usage. if you were to put your phone on airplane mode you could easily go the whole day without charging.