Still no word on the 5.1 update from T-Mobile this might be why....

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
That makes absolutely no sense.

The OTAs are always staggered. Not everyone will get them at once. But if you don't want to wait, you have two options:

1. Sideload the OTA. (Available here.)
2. Update via the factory image. (Available here.)

Someone loosing their stuff over some Verizon code has absolutely nothing to do with when you get the OTA.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
http://phandroid.com/2015/03/12/nexus-6-verizon-backup-bloatware/

Supposedly on all phones that update why it might be a slow role out for ota. **** you Verizon!

Roll out for Nexus OTA are always staggered and slow. It's done that way intentionally and is in the best interest of the consumers. If you feel like living on the edge, you can sideload it like Phil said instead of waiting for the OTA to hit your device. I'm happily running 5.1 and am seeing performance improvements.

Regarding the Verizon "bloatware", it certainly does not go hand-in-hand with the strategy of deploying the OTA update in a staggered fashion. I can confirm that, as the article states, nothing is present in the app drawer and this appears to simply be a needed background service for those who choose to use Verizon Backup. Believe it or not, there are many in the general consumer space who use it and need the dependencies. I do find it annoying though that it shows up in the Add Account section on my device even though I am using a direct from GPS unit on AT&T but it's not frustrating enough for me to break out my tinfoil hat.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded the update last night. Working great. The Verizon "bloat" is a non issue. It simply adds the option to add a Verizon backup account under the account settings. If you aren't on Verizon, like me, it doesn't do anything when you try selecting it.

Posted via the Android Central App

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
What I was trying to say is maybe T-Mobile has not announced it yet because they are maybe going to get rid of the Verizon crap on there end. Just a thought. Regardless if the bloat does nothing or not it can slow updates. If a new update comes out and the Verizon bloat does not work well or causes a problem well there you go. Should not be on Amy nexus but there own bottom line.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
What I was trying to say is maybe T-Mobile has not announced it yet because they are maybe going to get rid of the Verizon crap on there end. Just a thought. Regardless if the bloat does nothing or not it can slow updates. If a new update comes out and the Verizon bloat does not work well or causes a problem well there you go. Should not be on Amy nexus but there own bottom line.

With all due respect, I am going to ignore the multiple errors in your statement and just kindly inform you that you are wrong. You are going by the perceived definition of the Nexus program that the enthusiast community has spread. It does not match up to the actual definition.

EDIT: After reading your statement a third time, I started to sort of understand what you're trying to say. But having separate firmware versions per carrier is simply not in the cards with the Nexus 6. It doesn't match their release strategy. I'm a member of the camp that prefers to not have any carrier-backed add-ons on my device as well. But considering the extremely low impact of what is actually going on in this thread's example, I wouldn't quite jump to calling it "bloatware". Like I already mentioned though, I wish carrier detection could hide it in the Add Account screen unless a Verizon SIM is in use. But who knows, they could push that out tomorrow for all we know.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

The updates come from Google, not T-Mobile.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Regardless if the bloat does nothing or not it can slow updates.
32K on a 500K update is 6%. Not enough to be concerned about. Assuming that the update includes a whole new Verizon Backup.

If a new update comes out and the Verizon bloat does not work well or causes a problem
It can't just by bveing in the ROM, it has to be running to cause a problem. If you're not on Verizon it can't run, so it can't cause a problem. If you are on Verizon it's going to come with every Verizon phone you buy.

Should not be on Amy nexus but there own bottom line.
Letting the carrier add system-level apps adds weeks to the release date. Having them all in there when Google releases the code makes release faster. (And reduces the number of versions floating around out there. It would be soooo nice if every Android phone worked the same. That's the one advantage Apple has. Different features, different hardware, but one iOS.)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You know.. when I first saw this earlier, I was a little annoyed, but looked around and saw what it was, I realized that this can be chalked under "No big deal.:"

From the looks of things, this is a bit of stuff that serves no other function than to have a placeholder for Verizon customers who have VZ Backup installed. At 32Kb, it really isn't much more than a few files and an icon. Now.... Yes... carrier stuff on the Nexus image... before you get your pitchforks out. :) It has zero impact on non Verizon Wireless phones... it doesn't do anything, doesn't run anything...

That being said... when T-Mobile rolls out WiFi Calling, it may very well require system level modifications somewhere along the line. I certainly will not be up in arms over that... I WANT them to include WiFi Calling. :) And for all we know, there might be some files there that Google ends up rolling into the factory image to allow future updates to play nice... so someone on AT&T or Verizon may end up with some T-Mobile stuff on their phones, even though, like this VZ Backup stuff, it does nothing other than take up a tiny smidge of storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thicha Jairat