TF101 ICS Update Issues

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey! It's 6:15pm on the US east coast and my EeePad just performed an update! I now have Build Number IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.17-20123012. I don't know if that is a different number than the first ICS update but that's what I have now. I hope it fixes the problems!

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey! It's 6:15pm on the US east coast and my EeePad just performed an update! I now have Build Number IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.17-20123012. I don't know if that is a different number than the first ICS update but that's what I have now. I hope it fixes the problems!

Yes, it's an update to the first ICS release, with a new build number.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

herbz

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
new update working very well thus far ya'll! been 3 hours no errors or reboots. power button & sleep working as expected prior to ics... I'm running non rooted no rom unlike on my phone due to laziness ;)

let me know if you have any specific items you'd like me to check out... but definitely worth updating to v. 17

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Do keep in mind Chrome on Android is "beta"... Haven't used it enough to if it crashes after the latest update (IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.17-20120312), however.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Due to the fact that ICS took days or a week or more to manifest its issues, I think we have to wait to see if this update is the fix

I totally agree. At least with the failure mode I am encountering, any reports of success with less than at least 48 hours are not very meaningful.

The primary failure that I am coping with, where the tablet attempts to reboot itself while in Deep Sleep mode, may go largely unnoticed, unless the user is carefully observant, or the tablet loses significant battery charge due to a reboot hangup.

Last edited:

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
How did you get back to Honeycomb. File locations and steps please. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LS670

1. root with ViperMod PrimeTime using option 1
2. Install CWM recovery using Rom Manager
3. Boot into recovery and install the official Asus zip file for V8.6.5.21
4. Reboot holding volume down and choose change mode(select wipe data option)

Although you might want to try latest ICS before deciding to go back to HC. Going up in versions is a lot easier then going back.

Reactions: clarkpd24

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, even 20 hours with no problems now is improvement. With last ICS version I started having problems right away.

I just tweaked my comments to put them into context. I don't disagree that some problems may show themselves more quickly.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
1. root with ViperMod PrimeTime using option 1
2. Install CWM recovery using Rom Manager
3. Boot into recovery and install the official Asus zip file for V8.6.5.21
4. Reboot holding volume down and choose change mode(select wipe data option)

Although you might want to try latest ICS before deciding to go back to HC. Going up in versions is a lot easier then going back.

To add insult to injury, it appears to me that ASUS pulled the US version of V8.6.5.21 from their site. Fortunately, I downloaded that file a couple of days ago, but I wonder why they yanked it.

Question - do you know if after downgrading to HC, the OTA update will try to reinstall the update, or pester the user to do it?

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To add insult to injury, it appears to me that ASUS pulled the US version of V8.6.5.21 from their site. Fortunately, I downloaded that file a couple of days ago, but I wonder why they yanked it.

Question - do you know if after downgrading to HC, the OTA update will try to reinstall the update, or pester the user to do it?

That sucks that they yanked the file. I'm glad I saved a copy too.

After downgrading to HC, it asked to update. I choose postpone 1 day, it will then pester you everyday to update.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
That sucks that they yanked the file. I'm glad I saved a copy too.

After downgrading to HC, it asked to update. I choose postpone 1 day, it will then pester you everyday to update.

That's not too attractive. I saw a comment in another thread that the only way to avoid the pestering requires that the TF must be rooted. I was hoping to avoid adding root during this period of instability, but if I must do it, I will.

Am I correct in assuming that you downgraded to HC, and have eliminated your problem? Which problem did you have?

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, it pains me to say this, but while some problems I had with ICS are now gone...still got the spontaneous reboot and hang. Was running for almost 24 hours before this showed up.

Guess I'll have to wait to see if it keeps happening, but if it does...it will be back to HC again. Cant use ICS with that problem, it kills the battery if you don't notice it happen.