TF101 ICS Update Issues

electric1

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Use of the Wake Lock app as a workaround to prevent the TF from going into Deep Sleep, and consequently avoiding Reboots is continuing to be promising, at least for the first 30 hours, but it will take several more days before I consider it demonstrated as successful.

I was going to report my status/progress, but you saved me the trouble, since my experience is 100% match with yours. Wake Lock totally stabilized my tablet, at the cost of shorter battery life, which is manageable by daily charge. But at least I don't loose sound anymore and know there won't be a surprise screen burn in or dead battery in the morning. I am all set until Google/ASUS fix what I am convinced to be a kernel or driver bug in the deep sleep mode.

I tried everything before Wake Lock, nothing works. I think people not having the issue are simply unaware that some setting in the their system is preventing deep sleep, hence hiding the issue.

Everything reported on XDA forum points to same conclusions.

I now have 43 hours uptime on my TF101 and it NEVER survived 24 hrs since ICS came out. Loss of sound must be related to deep sleep bug too since its resolved as well by preventing deep sleep.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I was going to report my status/progress, but you saved me the trouble, since my experience is 100% match with yours. Wake Lock totally stabilized my tablet, at the cost of shorter battery life, which is manageable by daily charge. But at least I don't loose sound anymore and know there won't be a surprise screen burn in or dead battery in the morning. I am all set until Google/ASUS fix what I am convinced to be a kernel or driver bug in the deep sleep mode.

I tried everything before Wake Lock, nothing works. I think people not having the issue are simply unaware that some setting in the their system is preventing deep sleep, hence hiding the issue.

Everything reported on XDA forum points to same conclusions.

I now have 43 hours uptime on my TF101 and it NEVER survived 24 hrs since ICS came out. Loss of sound must be related to deep sleep bug too since its resolved as well by preventing deep sleep.

I agree with all of your points. I don't want to get overconfident, but I'm pretty optimistic about it. I'm about 56 hours up so far, and operation is clean - no issues, except for the manageable increase in battery drain while idle.

I do want to remind anyone who tries this, that Wake Lock does not restart itself after you perform a reboot, you must do that manually. It just takes a minute to run the app, but it's easy to forget, which will leave you vulnerable, and subject to drawing the wrong conclusion about the effects of Wake Lock.

There is a very small copy of the Wake Lock icon that appears in the notification bar when it is active. I also use CPU Spy and Reboot Logger to double check that there is no Deep Sleep time accruing, and to be sure that there weren't any stealth reboots.

Last edited:

CatManDo

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, the Wake Lock app really helped. That's one frustration about Android. With my Droid X, I needed the Headset Blocker app to stop the jiggle of the audio jack from launching audio apps.

I'm still waiting on the VPN IPSec Xauth PSK fix. It worked when ICS first came out, then broke with their latest instability fix.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Were you ever able to make a correlation between WiFi off/on vs the reboots? Seems that different devices/configurations behave a bit differently. I still had the reboots with WiFi off, but I've had success, so far, using the Wake Lock app.

No correlation that I've found. The wifi off/on issue is constant problem, no clue even where to begin with that.. Reboots seems to have all gone away. 122 hours running now.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think people not having the issue are simply unaware that some setting in the their system is preventing deep sleep, hence hiding the issue.

I've been running over 122 hours now and CPU Spy states that 55% of that time has been in Deep Sleep.

Makes it even harder to determine what exactly is the cause of this problem.

jkirknfc

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Started using wake lock free version from google play(market) .thank you electric1. I think will help with the deep sleep issue until a OS fix is released.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been running over 122 hours now and CPU Spy states that 55% of that time has been in Deep Sleep.

Makes it even harder to determine what exactly is the cause of this problem.

I wonder if it's possible that the behavior varies between devices, perhaps differing between models/revisions or other individual variables between units? In any case, FWIW, my TF and Dock are both model B40s, and the dock was updated by ASUS last year for the battery saver fix.

After weeks of experimentation, I found that nothing I tried (and I tried just about everything that was suggested) had any meaningful effect. The only constant I found on my system was that the reboots only occurred during Deep Sleep, and I could usually generate a failure within hours of going into Deep Sleep.

That led me to wonder what the effect would be if I could prevent Deep Sleep. In that interest, I tried rooting and the use of SetCPU, but while that limited Deep Sleep activity, it really didn't eliminate it, and the reboots continued.

Finally, I was given a lead to the Motorola discussion, which led me to try Wake Lock which I found totally prevents Deep Sleep, and on my system so far, the reboots just stopped in their tracks, and operation has stabilized very nicely. I hope saying that doesn't jinx it all, and that my good fortune will continue until we get a real fix from ASUS/Google.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I don't think I quite understand what that means. Are you saying that it doesn't matter whether wifi is off or on - the results are the same?

Only that the wifi problem seems unrelated to the reboot issues since I don't have those any more.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it's possible that the behavior varies between devices, perhaps differing between models/revisions or other individual variables between units? In any case, FWIW, my TF and Dock are both model B40s, and the dock was updated by ASUS last year for the battery saver fix.

The model probably plays a serious role in all of this. The simple fact that everyone is getting different results implies a hardware relationship here.

My dock is B60 and my tab is BCO

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Probably does, yes. At times with this issue, I feel like one of the prisoners in Plato's Parable of the Caves, but when this is all over, and the fix has been released, it will all make some sense - or not. As long as they fix it, I'll be happy.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The Wake Lock app has been updated to be able to start on boot. Should make that fix even better... Thanks everyone for the suggestion!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The Wake Lock app has been updated to be able to start on boot. Should make that fix even better... Thanks everyone for the suggestion!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Excellent. Glad to see that this workaround is helping some others. Now to watch patiently for the next update from ASUS/Google, so we can turn it off and get back to using Deep Sleep safely again.

sridhar_psy

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
'Disconnect from WiFi when screen is off' solves the problem
i had the same problem - battery drained when left in deep sleep mode after ICS update. There is a 'ASUS Customized Settings' section under 'Settings'. Select the option to 'Disconnect from WiFi when screen is off'. After this my battery-drain problems went away. When the ICS update was done, this setting was unchecked by the update process without user knowledge

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
'Disconnect from WiFi when screen is off' solves the problem
i had the same problem - battery drained when left in deep sleep mode after ICS update. There is a 'ASUS Customized Settings' section under 'Settings'. Select the option to 'Disconnect from WiFi when screen is off'. After this my battery-drain problems went away. When the ICS update was done, this setting was unchecked by the update process without user knowledge

Thanks for this info.. I didn't have battery drain problems but I did have an issue with my wifi not being active after waking the device. This fixed my issue, now no more problems with my TF.

spacelordmf

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I have applied both ICS updates from ASUS. I was reluctant about the second one, but it hasn't made things better or worse for me. I called ASUS a couple weeks ago after the first update and they had me do a factory reset and that didn't help. I called today to see what they would say about the issues that remain even after the second update. They want to RMA the unit and insist that a fix or replacement should take care of the issue. I declined an RMA at the moment because I have doubts about a different unit fixing the issue.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have applied both ICS updates from ASUS. I was reluctant about the second one, but it hasn't made things better or worse for me. I called ASUS a couple weeks ago after the first update and they had me do a factory reset and that didn't help. I called today to see what they would say about the issues that remain even after the second update. They want to RMA the unit and insist that a fix or replacement should take care of the issue. I declined an RMA at the moment because I have doubts about a different unit fixing the issue.

I'm kind of in the same situation and mindset. They offered an RMA after having me doing anothere wipe of the unit, but of course that had no effect, and I had already done the Factory Reset. I'm somewhat tempted, since it seems possible that hardware differences between units may make one more susceptible to the problem than the next, but my situation is now complicated by the fact that I also rooted my TF as part of trying one of the multitude of fixes that had no effect on the problem, for me, and I don't want to go through all of the nonsense to try to restore it to the non-root condition that would be undetectable to ASUS.

In the meantime, I am now doing well with the Wake Lock app as my workaround, so I'll probably just hang in there until a fix is found and distributed.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If you are already rooted...going back to stock is simple. All you have to do is flash one of the official asus images from recovery.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you are already rooted...going back to stock is simple. All you have to do is flash one of the official asus images from recovery.

Yes, I'm just wondering if that would remove all traces of the rooting. Not sure how fussy ASUS would be about that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jbirdou

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
After the ICS update, my tab will no longer wake from sleep by pressing a key on the keyboard. The setting to disable this function is not checked either. It gets slightly annoying having to hit the button on the side during class when I need to start typing notes again.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or am I one of the few?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174